USAA is by far the worst

speedsun

Established Member
I will never do business with them again.

story 1. back in 2009

I was tdy to Honduras and some jackass contractor hit my car on base. The base cops couldn't give me any info except 2 different insurance policies that the contractor found in the glove box. I called USAA and talked to them and they said they would handle it if I filed a claim and paid my deductible. I did and they took care of it and got the insurance company to pay for the damages and refunded my deductible.

Well the problem was they said that my rate would not be affected, but that was a lie. My premium doubled and I ended up making the switch to Progressive who cut my rate more than half. I was paying $80 for a old toyota truck and an 03 Cobra. Been with them since.

story 2, just last week.

I needed renter's insurance and Progressive didn't offer it in Florida. I called USAA just to get a quote or so I thought. They didn't offer renters but did offer valuable property insurance. The guy said it was around $3 a month to cover $2k in jewelry. I let him know to leave the quote open and I was going to check around to see if I could roll all of that into one. I ended up with Geico. Today I look at my account and notice I owe USAA $38 for an insurance policy I started just last week. I'm immediately pissed and call them. After 10 mins of their damn elevator music and talking to a sales associate they put me thru to their "senior manager". She didn't have a pleasant conversation with me but was nice and cancelled the policy.

I hate to rant about them but I highly encourage other military members to get quotes around to see if they are getting hosed or not. I will speak and say that their car loans were super easy to do but I do prefer Navy Fed over them for auto loans.

only a gt

Established Member
I've had nothing but good experiences with them. When I lost my 03 cobra in a flood on base, they ended up giving me more than I paid for it, and my rates didn't change at all. I've checked other insurance companies now and then just to make sure I'm getting the best deal I can, and none of them can even come close to my rates with USAA.

DNT H8

Established Member
I've been with them for 12 yrs and I do a ton a business w USAA, I will never leave them. I carry renters, whole life insur, car insur, checking-savings, credit card and landlord insur. Always 100% professional and knowledgable, I'm never on hold more than 3 minutes and always get an American. I do prefer NF for loans but everything else USAA. If I've ever had a claim it was taken care of NO headaches! I think you just had a bad experience that was an exception to the norm... It happened they are not robots.

FYI I did have a small at fault and my premium did not increase a penny, everyother year they have accident forgiveness if your accident free.

speedsun

Established Member
I guess I just have bad experiences with them and its left a sour taste in my mouth. They even gave me a quote on auto insurance too the other day. Couldnt even get close with less coverage.

My94GT

Established Member
i deal with them regularly at the body shop i run as i run a direct repair program for them, as well as a few other major companies and ive found them one of the better to deal with. when your rate was adjusted, did you call to ask why? if the accident was deemed a not fault accident and your deductible was reimbursed then it should not have gone against you.

in reference to the policy they set up for you mistakenly, i can see how there may have been slight confusion as you asked them to keep and open quote, they may have thought you wanted to start a policy. it seems customer service wise the representative handled the problem and got you straightened out even if you were acting unpleasant like you clearly have stated you did. i would say maybe take a step back and youll find your complaints may start and end directly with you yourself.

My94GT

Established Member
I guess I just have bad experiences with them and its left a sour taste in my mouth. They even gave me a quote on auto insurance too the other day. Couldnt even get close with less coverage.

things to keep in mind with how rates are structured, companies like progressive use aftermarket certified parts as a first choice when repairing your vehicle. its cut corners like that, that give them the ability to beat out other companies with more competitive rates. i personally dont care for progressive, i insure my bike through them as its dirt cheap but again i run a body shop so anything i wreck i fix out of pocket.

wildman97

Established Member
I have been with USAA for the past 10 years or so, filed many claims. My rates have only changed when I bought different cars and added them to the policy. I bill actually was reduced when I added renters insurance. I would not trade them for anther company.

speedsun

Established Member
Every Policy I have ever started as far as I remember would have me go in and verbally state I that I accept the agreements. At no point did I do that with USAA. This is why I'm annoyed. I was also quoted at $3 a month not $38 for the policy. I'm not even sure where the whole thing even got mixed up.

They also had no excuse for my premium going double after that claim either. They just said it was a rate increase.

speedsun

Established Member
I agree with them being very competitive and user friendly with loans/cc's. My deal is with their insurance.

I know there are many people who swear by them, this is just my experience. Hate that they can't work out but it is what it is.

Rock20

Established Member
I had them then left for a few year's have been back with them for 6 years now and never want to leave. Sucks you have had a bad experience with them.

04SloSnake

Its just an Eaton
Established Member
The only time I dealt with USAA was when I was hit by one of their drivers in my Cobra. I had a terrible time dealing with them and getting my car fixed, it took over 4 months. To expedite the process I went to one of their preferred body shops and they did a terrible job. When they called and gave me the survey I put the shop on blast then was told it was probably my fault somehow. Then they told the body shop what I said and I got a really nasty voicemail from the shop about how they stand by their work and I was wrong and complaining for no reason. I was also treated poorly when they found out I was military and had Geico for my insurance.

BV600

Established Member
Nothing but bad here...

Just had someone door ding my car pretty bad and just leave. I took it to get fixed at one of their preferred shops. They did a pretty terrible job imo from coming from bodywork and paint. Shitty part is my deductible was $500 and after everything was said and done it only came out to $630. I went to go trade the car in today and seen there was an accident reported on the carfax. If I would have known it would be reported as an accident and only $130 more I would have took care of it myself.. Oh and the kicker my insurance went up. Had USAA since 2007 with NO accidents or any tickets on my record.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
god i hate USAA with a passion.
made a claim back in like 08/09 something like that. was told to pound dirt since the blower that was stolen from my apartment storage wasn't covered by renters insurance since it was a car part. Not covered by auto b/c its.. well not on the lightning... well i get screwed once again oh well life goes on. fast forward a few years later at my new house in 2011 i call to cancel my renters insurance b/c i was going with geico. So they ask why and i tell them that my most valuable stuff if auto parts and they wont cover it and then told them what happened with my last claim. so they then tell me that issue with the loop hole has been fixed and they want to reopen the claim. so they ask for me to send receipts and what not. I tell them the whipple was bought with cash from a dude from the forums. no receipt so they say no problem just shoot us pics of the blower. also they want receipts of the other crap too one item being a sct xcal tuner. well that was for my lightning that i got in 08 and by this time the truck had been sold and i had my 2011 mustang that i bought a xcal for. by complete mistake i send them a copy of the xcal receipt for the mustang. so they call and all they ask is if all the info was correct and i say yea. a week later they send out an investigator and this dude is stone cold. he basically lead me into a trap with is questions and the last question was out of left field with "why did you lie about the claim and submit false information?" so Im like WTF? and then he says "we know the claim is bogus and you tried to pass false information which is a felony, just come clean and we can drop the claim" so I tell him I have no idea what he is talking about and then he asks me one last time "is all the info you submitted for the claim and all correct and true?" "yes sir". he then takes out the copy of the sct xcal receipt and says "how about this?" and I say "OMG i submitted the wrong one, gimme a sec I bet i have the other one" i go to my book and sure enough I have it. he tells me "too late, it up to the bank to no file charges at this point" packs his shit and walks out. I call USAA like 30 seconds after this dude walks out of my house and explain the situation and im reassured by the chick on the phone that the situation will be corrected and not to worrie. I even rescan and submit the correct stuff right then and there and she verifies.

long i know

2 weeks later I pull $300 bucks from the ATM for my first installment for my sleeve tattoo. no issues. The next day I go to get beer for the evening and my card isn't working. so i think damn this card is all beat to hell probably the machine doesn't like it so i go to another store with the same issue. wtf. Get my wifes card and go to pull cash at the ATM and its a no-go. so i call USAA and i cant even access my account something about issues that prevent access. so i try online and its the same thing.

I call USAA as a guest and get told my account has been closed and that I was given a 2 week notice. i received the letter 2 ****ING MONTHS LATER!!!! They claimed that I submitted false documents and that they were not pressing charges. I was livid and after 3 days of phone calls and going ****ing nuts on everyone i talked to from USAA I knew I had to do something. I had $250 bucks cash and bills due. they said it could take up to 60 days to get my cash (over $25k) so now im basically a broke hobo.

I went to navy fed and opened an account and told the manager the story and he looked at me like i was nuts and told me "don't worry Mr. Bright we will take care of you" and sure as shit he did. He got on the phone and 30 minutes later I had a no interest credit card for $10k that I could pay my bills with and even pull cash out to do stuff. This credit card was good for ZERO INTEREST for 2 years with no charges. of course i payed it off the day USAA released my funds. If it wasn't for navy fed i would have been screwed.

During the 50 something days i couldn't touch my cash USAA was calling me and harassing me about being late on my car payment (loan thru them) and being late on a credit card payment (had zero balance until this shit started). I tried to pay these 2 usaa bills and they woudnt accept any payment because my account was closed out lol. I am still fighting to get my name off some database for insurance fraud people. been a complete nightmare. took me almost a year to get the late car payments off my credit and to get the usaa credit card thing taken care of. **** USAA. I had 10 years with those ass holes with out missing one payment and always had over 10k im my account. perfect customer.

Last edited:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
things to keep in mind with how rates are structured, companies like progressive use aftermarket certified parts as a first choice when repairing your vehicle. its cut corners like that, that give them the ability to beat out other companies with more competitive rates. i personally dont care for progressive, i insure my bike through them as its dirt cheap but again i run a body shop so anything i wreck i fix out of pocket.

they cannot legally make you put aftermarket parts on.. just remember that. my ole man had a collision repair shop for 20+ years. he was always fighting with insurance companies. when they wouldnt back down from using aftermarket parts he would just tell the car owner and next thing you know they get genuine parts.

DNT H8

Established Member
Ill never understand why people 1) call their insurance company when someone hits them and that person has insurance 2) why in Gods name would you take your car to a recommended/preferred shop

NinjaBum

Established Member
What you guys are bitching about can happen with any insurance company. USAA as a company>any of the other shitty places. I have had USAA for a while and while it hasn't been amazing, it's been better than other places I've dealt with. They're always down to refund fees, even if it's your fault as long as you don't incur them all the time.

I went to a preferred shop when I had an accident in my old GTO and yeah I wasn't all that happy with it. Live and learn, it's a "preferred" shop for a reason. When some kid ran over the front of my C5Z I took it to the shop I wanted to and it got done right without any headaches.

Insurance companies are all about profit no matter what. They will deflect blame until they are pinned down and forced to pay. That's how it works whether it's Geico, Progressive, whoever.

Hell, Allstate is the biggest bunch of dbags in the biz as far as I'm concerned. Some guy backed into the side of my wife's car while she was driving through a parking lot and he had Allstate. They said it was both of their fault according to their standards since he impacted part of her rear bumper that wrapped around to the rear wheel and so they categorized it as "rear bumper to rear bumper" and thus both were at fault.

Insurance companies can all suck a big caulk.

jmsa540

Established Member
Sorry for you man. I love USAA. I have three cars fill coverage and full renters and VPP. Pay less than $150 a month for all that..

Users who are viewing this thread