Us newedge cobras really are the bastard children in SVT!

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Yes. That was fall 2002 at Cecil County. I had zero suspension work done, so it twisted REALLY bad at that time.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
it's not so much about R&D as it is about manufacturing...it costs a lot more to run a one or two piece lot than a 50-100 piece lot...

True, but we aren't talking about stamping fenders that takes huge million dollar tooling to produce. Alot of things are cast or simply a plate that is welded and drilled. I know it'll cost more, but it shouldn't be THAT much more. I'm just saying there is some price gouging going on.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
True, but we aren't talking about stamping fenders that takes huge million dollar tooling to produce. Alot of things are cast or simply a plate that is welded and drilled. I know it'll cost more, but it shouldn't be THAT much more. I'm just saying there is some price gouging going on.

do you work in manufacturing? do you understand what it takes to make a consistent part...you'd be surprised how much tooling is required to make simple parts that have consistent quality...

Bob Cosby

Established Member
what the hell were you launching at?

was the trans built? and what tire psi?

I was launching ~6000 rpm, dumping (not sidestepping) the clutch. I don't remember for sure what tranny I had in at that time. I had broken 5 T45 input shafts in 2001, and for a while, had a TKO in 2002. But by the time that pic was taken, I had taken that out, and I believe I was using another mostly-stock T45, but with a hardened input shaft and an aluminum flywheel (solved my input shaft issues). As for tire psi, those were 26x10 Hoosier slicks, likely at ~12 psi.

Jamie R.

Established Member
Bob where did you get the hardened input shaft? Did the al fylwheel stop the breakage or a combination of the shaft & flywheel? I picked up a t-45 that I was thinking about keeping as a spare for my '01. How durable are the t-45's compared to my 3650? Oh yeah you going to in Bradenton with the 2v or did those guys ever finish doing that car? Take it easy Champ.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra on the Cover of MM&FF's August '07 Issue

281CJ

Established Member
Yeah... right. Tell that to the Formula One guys.

Low 11s at almost 120 mph at that.

Doubt it, as the 02 Cobra was supposed to make 350 HP.

Do a little search on it, Coletti(sp) didn't like the next slated Cobra because it could BARELY beat a LS1/99-01 Cobra. A 350 crank Cobra would make the car run mid 12's...about where the 03-04 Cobra was. Also if you talk to Hoag(sp) he hinds that thats where the car came from, not to mention the original Mach1 demo car was a 2001 Cobra with the apperance items and a solid rear swap.....same as the 03 Cobra test car, 01 cobra with a motor and rear swap.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Bob where did you get the hardened input shaft? Did the al fylwheel stop the breakage or a combination of the shaft & flywheel? I picked up a t-45 that I was thinking about keeping as a spare for my '01. How durable are the t-45's compared to my 3650? Oh yeah you going to in Bradenton with the 2v or did those guys ever finish doing that car? Take it easy Champ.

Jamie R.

i believe he had it cryo-treated at a place in Cananada IIRC...

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Howdy Jamie,

Too much going on to do any racing this year...retire from the USN...building a house in Texas....daughter starting college....etc, etc. Life kinda gettin in the way I guess. :)

Do a quick search on the DOHC section of the Corral. I posted a lot of info over there. Though I have no proof, I suspect the biggest factor in not breaking shafts was the aluminum flywheel (again though, I have no real, hard data to support that). As for durability compared to the 3650....impossible for me to say. I like the 3650's .62 5th gear, but the T45 is about 20 lbs lighter, and I like that too. :)

Bob

Jamie R.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
do you work in manufacturing? do you understand what it takes to make a consistent part...you'd be surprised how much tooling is required to make simple parts that have consistent quality...

I've had parts made for my line of work. And they have ALOT more QA than Mustang parts. Companies will use as many common parts as they can. On alot of these kits, there is only one part that is different. Can't be that much different in cost. But good ol supply and demand bumps that up.

Users who are viewing this thread