Urgent Help with the 2007-2008 Crankshaft Damper Change Info Before My Mod Trip!

Blacksmoke

Established Member
Im going to have an upper pulley and idler swap (2.6 pulley) done early next week along with a CAI and tune.
I ran across a problem though.
I have a 2008 GT500 built in 09 of 2007.

I read the 07's crankshaft damper was replaced in the 08 models due to a safety issue.
And that any mods done to the other pulleys or SC required an updated damper.
Then I read on a site that if the build date was before 11 of 07, you had the OLD damper. (Read that part on a forum)

Its confusing because then some people said this was untrue.
I can't tell but I think some are saying that the part number 8R3V-6316-AB (which happens to be my part number) is the new part.
Some shops that have the Ford Racing updated one, are saying that their updated one
part number M-6312-SVT is the same as my part number.

However Ford Parts site says my part does not exist and that the part number is
8R3Z-6312-D.
This is also the part that some shops list the Ford Racing parts alternate as.

Another odd thing... all those sites have pics of the new part.. and guess what the part number is on the pic of the actual part? Yup... my part number.

I REALLY need to find out if my part is the old or new one before I go to have my mods done early next week.
It is a 3-4 hour drive and it can take a while to get an app. sometimes.
Plus I'd have to pay an install fee again if I had the old one and if they don't have a replacement there when I go early next week.

Can anyone help me with finding out if I have the old or new part for SURE?
It would sure help if someone actually listed the OLD part number, unfortunately they have not.

Here is the page that talks about the build date, whether its true or not, and my part number:
2008 GT500 OWNERS - Shelby GT500 (2007-2009) - Team Shelby

Thanks!

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
Buy/order a new one, and bring it with you, do not open it, and then send it back to where you bought it if it was not needed. That is what i would do. But either way i know Ford does weird things, but i think since your car is a 08 you should be fine, i wouldnt sweat it.

moncho

Established Member
Even if you have the old hunker door stop doing a CAI and pulley shouldn't put you over the edge. I know for a fact people are doing this (Look @ TS member Grabber). If however, you are going with a TVS or any other upgraded SC you would have to replace the damper, that is if indeed it was the old door stop.

Hope this helps?

fullboogie

Established Member
The two balancers look very different. Why don't you compare looks rather than part numbers?

Imatk

Established Member
Yeah the new one is WAAAY lighter too, hell I'd put the new one on even if you weren't doing a swap.

They re-designed it because the old one was a big heavy hunk-o-poo

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I ran the old heavy one on my 07 w/ a 2.6 upper, cai, 65MM TB and headers and it was fine. i just recently replaced it w/ an ATI lower, so you should be fine even if it's the old one.

Imatk

Established Member
Yes mine has 3 spokes it looks like.

Then you're good to go.

The old one looks like this:

$T2eC16dHJGoE9nuQg2FNBRUyWE)qK!~~60_57.JPG

fullboogie

Established Member
This.

OP, does yours look like this one??

BJ - there is a writeup from Justin on your website that details the balancer swap. Recently all the picture links went down, and they don't show up in the thread anymore. I was going to direct the OP to that thread, but it wouldn't have done any good because the pics are missing. Maybe you guys can fix it?

Blacksmoke

Established Member
Question....

Ok.. I am getting two part numbers for the 08 version
8R3Z-6312-B, 8R3Z-6312-D

I called Ford, they said the current one was the D.
I looked on some sites, such as this one that showed the B also as the 08 version:
08 balancer/Damper installed on a 07 - Shelby GT500 Modifications and Tech. - Team Shelby

So... are BOTH of these the 08 version and they changed the number at the end for some reason but it is not a PART change?

Or are one of these the old 07 part number?
One guy at a dealership I called thought it did mean a part change, but he could not verify it for CERTAIN.

Someone also told me that some of the early 07's actually had a 3 spoke design, that they went to a solid one... then they changed it again in 08 to a DIFFERENT 3 spoke than the early 07's before the
solid faced ones...

So now as you can tell I am really confused.
Another question.
Do they change the Engineering Number when they change Parts or does the engineering number stay the same and only the part number change?
Reason is... I was able to read the engineering number of the part on my vehicle.

Also... I was able to squuezze my hand under the hood to take a few pics of mine.
I was unable to get a whole pic cuz the camera would not back away far enough. lol.
IMG_0781_zpsf8f2999c.jpg

IMG_0783_zpsb529f038.jpg

IMG_0784_zpsf4667782.jpg

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Ummmm Blacksmoke, yours like just like the one in the picture in Post #6 does it not? Plus, I don't know of anyone that has ever said or heard that some of the 08' model year had the old 07' dampners on them. You are good to go here my friend.

Blacksmoke

Established Member
Thank you!

I just got confused because I heard that there were actually 2 versions on the 07 damper and one version had three spokes just like the 08.

In the case that there are 2 07 versions, I wonder why they would change from a spoke design, to a solid center (which I would think would be heaver), BACK to a yet different 3 spoke lighter one.

I haven't seen a pic of the 3 spoke 07 one that was said to be on the EARLY made 07's.
But it was a reliable source that told me about it.

Good news is mine seems to look identical to the 08 from what I can tell, and has the same engineering number imprinted on it. Not sure if engineering numbers are changed when parts are changed though, or just the part numbers. And of course... even though it was made in 07... it IS a 2008 model GT500.
So even if there was an 07 version with three spokes... I think I still have the 08 version.

However...
The engineering number changing or not with part changes was another reason I was confused about this.
Plus not seeing an actual photo of the 3 spoke 07 version to compare mine to.

Last edited:

Blacksmoke

Established Member

mustangcrazybj

Established Member
I should have the stock balancer from my 2010 GT500 that I just swapped off if anyone is interested in it. I will give it to anyone, just pay the shipping and I'll send it out.

Users who are viewing this thread