upgrading from 2.93

repsol

Established Member
So I've decided to get a 2.76 from lethal/billetflow .Am I o.k. with
current tune? And are there any other must haves when doing this?
My set up is just a Steeda air filter,Catted x-pipe and dynomax muff.
I'm not sure what kind of tune is in it though

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Damn are you sure you won't be spinning the blower to fast for efficiency? Seems like a lot of boost to me. I thought with the stock blowers you shouldn't go over about 14lbs. then you start losing efficiency of the blower. Excessive heat and such. Not sure though maybe someone else will chime in and give definate answers. Although on here that seems to be pretty much the norm.

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
^^^ At least run a Heat Exchanger (LFP), if you are up to removing your supercharger or tranny then get the head cooling mod, and DEFINATELY get a new tune...your a/f 's are not across the board when you increase boost levels. For insurance, you will definately benefit from a tune and save yourself the headache of messing something up...our engines are not cheap.

And get a BF IRS diff. cover brace if you dont have one...those are crucial.

Last edited:

- Aj -

Established Member
Pulley and belt = 5/10
Heat exchanger = 6/10

Neither is really that difficult. You can even have a custom tune emailed to you, download it on your tuner, then upload it yourself.

ViciousJay

Established Member
yes youll need to change the tune... as for a heat exchanger youll be fine witht he stocker trust me

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Gladiator said:
yes youll need to change the tune... as for a heat exchanger youll be fine witht he stocker trust me

trust you, eh? You plan to pay for his engine if he overheats & ruins it after taking your advice? Didn't think so. Quit giving stupid advice:poke:

Repsol: You can never have too much engine management/protection. I would strongly suggest getting the LFP h/e & one of the two available head cooling mods. Also, you will definitely need a retune. In addition, you could look into installing a larger capacity intercooler reservoir.

This stuff is cheap compared to an engine rebuild:beer:

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
TrueBlueGT said:
trust you, eh? You plan to pay for his engine if he overheats & ruins it after taking your advice? Didn't think so. Quit giving stupid advice:poke:

Repsol: You can never have too much engine management/protection. I would strongly suggest getting the LFP h/e & one of the two available head cooling mods. Also, you will definitely need a retune. In addition, you could look into installing a larger capacity intercooler reservoir.

This stuff is cheap compared to an engine rebuild:beer:

BWAHAHAAHHAAHHA you seriously just made me fall off my chair laughing... a HE is not a total need ive ran the stocker just fine without it going on me through 2 winters and a HOTTTTT summer so far.... as for a reservior its more of a bling mod as well unless packed with ice... just filled with water doesnt provide any power and if it did it would be like 2 hp its been proven time and time again :rollseyes

engine rebuilds are USUALLY do to bad tuning... another proven myth :rollseyes so if anything im not giving bad advise im mearly providing truth... yes a HE is a nice upgrade but its is not totally a NEED:bash:

Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I basically agree, an upgraded H/E only helps to maintain power when you are running it hard for a while and obviously more boost creates more heat so it's not a bad idea. But someone who only occasionally romps on their car is not going to really see much gain from a bigger H/E.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Gladiator said:
BWAHAHAAHHAAHHA you seriously just made me fall off my chair laughing... a HE is not a total need ive ran the stocker just fine without it going on me through 2 winters and a HOTTTTT summer so far.... as for a reservior its more of a bling mod as well unless packed with ice... just filled with water doesnt provide any power and if it did it would be like 2 hp its been proven time and time again :rollseyes

engine rebuilds are USUALLY do to bad tuning... another proven myth :rollseyes so if anything im not giving bad advise im mearly providing truth... yes a HE is a nice upgrade but its is not totally a NEED:bash:

Yeah.... You're in Chicago. You are in a place where people DIE (literally) when it gets over 90*:rollseyes
Hot to you & hot to the rest of us maybe isn't the same thing.

And wtf does winter have to do with anything?? Not too hard to keep temps down when it's 12* outside.

I don't know where you get the idea that we are talking about 'gains' from these mods. They are not hp adding mods; they are mods to prolong the life of an engine. Adding capacity to the volume of the cooling system allows more coolant to be out of the motor and/or sc at any given point, ergo said coolant's temperatures are allowed to dissipate more given the additional time out of the engine. Adding a larger reservoir increases capacity; adding a more efficient h/e dissipates heat more effectively than the stock one; adding the head cooling mod provides an exit route for the pooled coolant in the back of the left head & allows it to circulate back into the system as opposed to sitting there getting hotter & hotter & hotter. And that WILL fck up the engine.

Can you 'get away with' running the stock stuff & no cooling mods? Probably. Is a $6K rebuild worth it because you were to stingy/stupid to add a few hundred bucks worth of cooling mods? IMO, no.

If you truly think that reducing temps is not a vital & intelligent part of engine management, then I am done talking with you because you are a moron.:bored:

Last edited:

repsol

Established Member
O.K. o.k. no fighting .Here is what I did I ordered the 2.76 and a
brace from Lethal.I'll put those on and then beg for help how to
download a new tune into my car.THEN when my credit card bill
comes and the wife doesn't see $600-$700 at a time I'll order a
spanking new H/E.I guess that's smart cause I'm in Florida and it
gets hot.
H/E has nothing to do with tune right? I know it's obvious but I
figured I'd ask

ViciousJay

Established Member
i understand when you say prolong, but its not a nesscessity to survive... im willing to bet mine will still be kickin strong well after 100K without them... and unless your doing back to back to back runs then yes youll start to pull timing thus everything is hot and then your chances of detnation and rebuild is near a future so yes the advice i provided is not useless... if he making a straight up drag car go for the mods otherwise ehhhhh he'll be just finnneeeeee

as for add volume of cooling flow.. well that resevior will flow the same as the stocker would cuz the its got the same hose size, unless you expand that and every internal cooling path in the motor it will all flow the same... will it help maybe a little but not enough unless your using STRAIGHT UP ICE!!!

ill give you this though yea the HE might be a good idea, it might help but for a weekend warrior i dont see it being really needed if hes just gonna stay with a 2.76 upper only, cooling hea mod well yea a good up grade as well but id really like to see some data before and after to see how much more it really flows

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
repsol said:
O.K. o.k. no fighting .Here is what I did I ordered the 2.76 and a
brace from Lethal.I'll put those on and then beg for help how to
download a new tune into my car.THEN when my credit card bill
comes and the wife doesn't see $600-$700 at a time I'll order a
spanking new H/E.I guess that's smart cause I'm in Florida and it
gets hot.
H/E has nothing to do with tune right? I know it's obvious but I
figured I'd ask

a heat exchanger wont effect your tune at all, word of advice dont get a resevior its a bling mod more then a true cooling mod

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Where did I mention rate of flow through the cooling system? No where. Here is exactly what I said:
TrueBlueGT said:
Adding capacity to the volume of the cooling system allows more coolant to be out of the motor and/or sc at any given point, ergo said coolant's temperatures are allowed to dissipate more given the additional time out of the engine. Adding a larger reservoir increases capacity;

Apparently we will have to agree to disagree. This is what I'm doing with mine. Overkill? Maybe. But if it helps prolong the life of my engine, I'm fine with that.

Users who are viewing this thread