Update on TOB and retainer sleeve

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
No worries. I didn't assume you were pissed. As I tried to explain, this guy has been very very helpful. But he asked me not to post the TSB because they aren't supposed to hand them out, so I won't. He has always gone the extra mile to try to find out the facts about these types of situations and has always been willing to share what ever information he could find. He has NEVER given me the line...oh they all do that. He is very pro customer, and doesn't always agree with Ford's policies himself. I'm defending him - not Ford. I just wanted to make that clear.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Black2003Cobra
No worries. I didn't assume you were pissed. As I tried to explain, this guy has been very very helpful. But he asked me not to post the TSB because they aren't supposed to hand them out, so I won't. He has always gone the extra mile to try to find out the facts about these types of situations and has always been willing to share what ever information he could find. He has NEVER given me the line...oh they all do that. He is very pro customer, and doesn't always agree with Ford's policies himself. I'm defending him - not Ford. I just wanted to make that clear.

Understood... Perhaps I was mistaken in assuming your rep to be the typical dealership service rep.... I apologize...

No harm, no foul :thumbsup: :-D

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
The foreman called me today, and said he had just heard that the parts (adapter plate) are not available from their (tier II) supplier yet. (Since they are a tier II supplier, that tells me the parts are most likely not coming from Tremec.) They have my flywheel and clutch pack, but not the adapter plate. There were only 7 parts (or so) out of 120 ordered in that 8/4 order that shipped. At least I think that was the number he told me. They (Ford) have ordered an additional 120 parts, but no word at all as to when they will be available now. Just have to wait it out. If I hear anything new, I'll post it. Just thought I'd let everyone know the latest word I've heard on this problem. Stang2WRX...have you heard anything?

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Black2003Cobra
The foreman called me today, and said he had just heard that the parts (adapter plate) are not available from their (tier II) supplier yet. (Since they are a tier II supplier, that tells me the parts are most likely not coming from Tremec.) They have my flywheel and clutch pack, but not the adapter plate. There were only 7 parts (or so) out of 120 ordered in that 8/4 order that shipped. At least I think that was the number he told me. They (Ford) have ordered an additional 120 parts, but no word at all as to when they will be available now. Just have to wait it out. If I hear anything new, I'll post it. Just thought I'd let everyone know the latest word I've heard on this problem. Stang2WRX...have you heard anything?

My car went in this Tuesday at 5PM. I called Sheehy Ford back today at lunch and my service rep said he was going to try and get my car back to me tomorrow, but that it is most likely looking like Monday will be the day I get her back. He said "We're just waiting on parts." but then proceeded to tell me I'll have the car back on Monday. Seems a little strange to me seeing as you guys are telling me that the part we need for this TSB is backordered and such.

You think he had the part in-house already?
Do you think he's just pretending to do work and not actually doing it?
He also had to static balance my wheels because I asked him to get rid of the ugly weights on the outside of my rims and put them inside. Am I being thrown for a loop?

What do you think?

I really hope that they aren't pretending to do service and not doing anything to the car at all. Any way to check that they've actually had the transmission out of the car? Maybe he was confused as to which "black 2003 Cobra" I was referring to, as I saw that there were 2 others there when I took mine in.

Or maybe, just maybe I am getting the fastest service ever heard of on the face of the planet (HIGHLY UNLIKELY).

Thoughts?? :??:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Blk03SVT - it does sound like they're giving you mixed messages. Since he told you that you'd get your car back on Monday, I would have said that you are lucky and that they already had the parts. But then they told you they are waiting on parts! Perhaps they didn't inquire about when the parts were due in. If they had, they should have been given the same answer my foreman got. My guess is that they just didn't bother to make that phone call, and are just hoping the parts show up. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
You guys aren't making me feel better. My car goes in tomorrow and they have a week to get the parts while I'm out of town. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Stang2WRX - yeah, I should have gone that route to begin with. The foreman upgraded my order to emergency status, as well. No guarantees, of course.

flyn high - You might see if your shop will change the status of your order. (Then just go and enjoy your vacation, man!)

magswitch

Thanks for the info, all.

It has been somewhat comforting to hear that others have resolved the TOB retainer issue rather quickly. However, my car has been at the dealer for 2 weeks and I'm still getting the "waiting on a part" line. to top it off, the rental car they gave me is a Korean built Chevy Aveo! Junk...

2+2Cobra

Established Member
First post but i have to chime in....I got my '04 new about 3 months ago and I have about 1500 miles on it. In that time i discovered the little odd "intricacies" of the car (e.g.clunking,TOB, etc). I initially thought it was just me but after reading throught the forums and using the search buttin i don't feel as "special".
This TOB issue seems to be a common as well as the part backorder. My car sat at the dealer for ten days before service advisor called to report that the part was on national backorder.
I feel bad about it now because I got p/o'd and just picked my car up. Guess i'll have to find another shop to cover factory issues.

Stang2WRX

Established Member
Black2003Cobra -

Why is your dealer so willing to replace the other parts? The TSB says ONLY the retainer sleeve needs replaced... I've heard the squeel maybe 3 to 5 times and I'm at 2900 miles so I hope the other parts or undamaged.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Update 8/16/04. Good news. My shop’s foreman just called and said my adapter plate is in, so hopefully this means they are off from back order. More importantly, he said the revised retainer sleeve is STEEL!!! This is what I wanted to hear, as I believe that is the correct solution to the problem. (The steel TOB on an aluminum sleeve, was a problem just waiting to happen.) The bad news is, the revised bearing does NOT come with the adapter plate, as he was initially led to believe. He’s ordering that today.

Stang2WRX – my shop will only be replacing the FW and clutch, etc., if they were damaged. He ordered all the parts just so he’d have them on hand.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Hmm, I'm calling my guy today at lunch and asking him what's up with my car. It went in last Tuesday and he told me I may be getting it back today. I am curious as to whether or not he actually replaced the TOB/Sleeve or not.... We'll see after lunch :D

Coiled03

Established Member
Well, mine went in today to get the revised parts installed. I wish I knew exactly what all was included in that. Funny thing is, if they use the TOB in this new kit, that will be my second brand new TOB in about 3 weeks, lol. They just better have it done by the end of tomorrow. It's not that big of a job.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Coiled03
Well, mine went in today to get the revised parts installed. I wish I knew exactly what all was included in that. Funny thing is, if they use the TOB in this new kit, that will be my second brand new TOB in about 3 weeks, lol. They just better have it done by the end of tomorrow. It's not that big of a job.

Well, they do have to take out the entire transmission, and do whatever else that involves, to replace the TOB/Retainer Sleeve. Kinda big job in my book.

Anyways, I called J.D. at Sheehy Ford today and asked him how my car was progressing (something I feel that he should have called me to report). His response was, "We're still waiting for parts." Typical. I then repeated the fact that the car MUST be in running order (whether the part has been replaced or not) by 08/28/04 (I planned a MD Cobra owners meet/cruise for that day, and the planner of the event needs to have his car :D ; if you're interested, CLICK HERE), to which his response was "As of right now, that is not a problem." So basically, I'm getting the typical "waiting on parts" response. All I'm saying is I really hope my car is back in my possession with the fixed part by Friday. Otherwise, I will probably go crazy. I've almost been away from my car for a whole week... Starting... to... have.... withdrawal symptoms........ Must get... car... back.... :cryying:

That's where my progress stands at the moment. :D At least he's fixing it under warranty w/ an aftermarket clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster... :D

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
Well, they do have to take out the entire transmission, and do whatever else that involves, to replace the TOB/Retainer Sleeve. Kinda big job in my book.

With a lift, and the tools they have at their disposal, it shouldn't take any more than 5-6 hours, tops. The problem is that usually, they won't dedicate the technician to the job until it's done. They have to work on the car for a few hours, then go help with another job, then come back and work on yours, etc....

I think it should be done in one day, but I'm not counting on it. I'lll be lucky to see mine by Wednesday night, I bet. I'm just glad I was able to get the parts.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Coiled03
With a lift, and the tools they have at their disposal, it shouldn't take any more than 5-6 hours, tops. The problem is that usually, they won't dedicate the technician to the job until it's done. They have to work on the car for a few hours, then go help with another job, then come back and work on yours, etc....

I think it should be done in one day, but I'm not counting on it. I'lll be lucky to see mine by Wednesday night, I bet. I'm just glad I was able to get the parts.

You're right. Really the only reason that it takes them so long most of the times is that they have to do just what you said... Get up from your job, then go help on another.... I meant to say that the first time... I hope they keep good notes or something as to where they left off with each other job their working on. :D You're lucky you got the parts immediately.... Some of us are not so lucky.... :cryying:

I am probably going to sleep in the car at night when I get it back. I really miss it. This freakin Taurus is just..... a Taurus... :dw:

Users who are viewing this thread