Update on TOB and retainer sleeve

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by golfprowanabe
what about warrantee work on this after an aftermarket clutch has been installed???????

I wouldn't expect them to warranty the clutch, but the TOB retainer sleeve issue should still be warrantied if you have an honest dealer.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by golfprowanabe
what about warrantee work on this after an aftermarket clutch has been installed???????

Check w/ your dealer. An aftermarket clutch would not affect the TOB or sleeve, but no one can tell you what they will say. Since a clutch is a wear item, one should be allowed to change it w/o it affecting their warranty on other items. But again - check w/ your shop. (Just don't expect them to warranty your aftermarket clutch, if that was damaged though. For sure they won't do that.)

BTW, I checked the first page of the TSB this morning. The number I originally posted is correct. It is 04-13-4.

Edit: Looks like sly beat me to it! Obviously I agree with him, though.

Last edited:

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Here's the numbers I got from SVT for the parts:

TOB AND ASSEMBLED ADAPTOR PLATE ASSEMBLY - 3R3Z7005AA
GUIDE TUBE - F6ZZ7050C

They said the dealerships were having trouble assembling the parts so they started putting them together for them. Again, they told me that there wasn't a TSB on this, from what I'm seeing from you guys there is. The million dollar question is does SVT Info hotline know what their talking about?

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Originally posted by stevieb
I had a broken front retainer and Ford replaced the trans and also the clutch, citing that the clutch had abnormal uneven wear due to the retainer.
Same here. Whole new tranny, clutch and TOB. I did compare the TOB retainer and noticed the difference in the welds, I know why they were breaking!

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
When I go see Sheehy's Service Manager (who has been co-operative as of yet, unlike one of his reps) should I mention that some people needed new clutches, and new transmissions as a result of this problem? If there is damage to my clutch, I darn well want a new one. Know what I mean?

How should I approach seeing if (at least) my clutch can be replaced under warranty also? Should I just tell them to check the transmission and clutch for damage due to the TOB and sleeve??

Let me know what you think. :)

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
If you have a positive relationship with them, I'd just ask them to check the clutch out for unusual wear while it's apart.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Agreed. Have them check your clutch and FW. You shouldn't need a new xmission. The only reason they had been replacing them before (prior to the TSB) for this problem, is because there was no new redesigned bearing retainer at that time so they had to replace the entire xmission!

fireman - SVT is late on getting their info, sometimes. We know there is a TSB...that's the important thing! Good luck!

Last edited:

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove
If you have a positive relationship with them, I'd just ask them to check the clutch out for unusual wear while it's apart.

Not really sure what you would call my relationship with Sheehy at this point. I guess I would call it alright with the Service Manager, but I'm not sure what he thinks of me, because he knows that his Service Rep would not warranty any of the TOB stuff due to the aftermarket clutch quadrant.

I think I will just do as you said... Ask them to check out the clutch AND transmission for unusual wear/damage while everything is apart. I REALLY hope they put it all back together correctly.

Florida_Cobra03

Established Member
Platinum,

I just got a new transmission about a month ago with 18K. I took it in with 20K for vibration in the clutch pedal, and I got a new TOB, clutch, pressure plate. My dealer understood that the TOB problem could cause premature wear on the clutch. BTW, I'm still having vibration in the clutch pedal when I just touch it with my foot from 3 - 4K RPM. I plan on taking it back in the near future.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
Mine is about to go into the dealership in a few days. I went in and they found a TSB for it, and ordered the parts without tearing my car apart. They said to bring it in once they get the parts in, and they'll tear into it and go from there.....

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by smashedheadcat
Mine is about to go into the dealership in a few days. I went in and they found a TSB for it, and ordered the parts without tearing my car apart. They said to bring it in once they get the parts in, and they'll tear into it and go from there.....

That's good. That's the experience everyone should have when they encounter this issue.

drkchk03svt

Established Member
I had my TOB and transmission replace a few months ago and I am just awaiting for the same problem to occur. Well if it does I guess they have a solution now. Thanks for the info!

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by Florida_Cobra03
Platinum,

I just got a new transmission about a month ago with 18K. I took it in with 20K for vibration in the clutch pedal, and I got a new TOB, clutch, pressure plate. My dealer understood that the TOB problem could cause premature wear on the clutch. BTW, I'm still having vibration in the clutch pedal when I just touch it with my foot from 3 - 4K RPM. I plan on taking it back in the near future.

Thanks for the info. Mine pulsates at every RPM. Just a little amount though, but I'm sure it's bound to get worse.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
BTW, those of you that will be having this work done may want to consider doing the Apten cooling mod while you have your xmissions out! Now's the time!

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
I love this site. My car goes back in on Monday now that the parts are in. The tech said they had to order a bellhousing, he probably meant the cover we were are all talking about here. I will keep you guys up to date as to what happens and what they fix my car with.

Users who are viewing this thread