Update on the vibe

Stalker

Established Member
Here's the latest: Heard from my service guy who just talked with the Ford engineer who was looking into my problem. He said that the machine that makes the driveshafts was the source of this problem. They have basically corrected the tool to produce correct parts, not redesigned the driveshaft. He said he should have a new DS early next week for me! woohoo!

KingKobra

Established Member
Not that this says much, but...

I took a friend out today on the highway in my cobra. He's got a 420RWHP camaro and has an honest knowledge of cars in general.

I said, "you wanna feel the vibe I was telling you about...." and he said yes, so I dropped down into 3rd, 4th, 5th, and accelerated up to 80 and slowly increased to 90 and up to about 100, then back to 80.

He was silent, so I said, "you feel it?" and he said, "feel what?".

I was like, "look at the mirror, it's totally shaking." and he was like, "dude, that's nothing... I thought the vibe was going to be much worse than it is."

So, needless to say, I feel a little at ease to have someone say that, and I don't feel afraid to drive it in that vibe-zone, but I'm still waiting for SVT to officially produce an answer for this, for I paid a good dollar for the car. :shrug:

03DOHC

Established Member
For those who just stumbled upon this thread, the TSB is posted on the second page.

docs03

Established Member
DS Update

My dealer still can not get a part number forthe DS to order it. They tried pulling up the DS under the old part number and it said "part no longer available"

I will be on my delaer today to get this thing ordered.

I'll keep ya informed

doc

docs03

Established Member
NO DS???

Well I spoke to my dealer today and they were told from Ford that there is NO new DS ( or corrected one , however you want to look at it) What the hell is going on??????

My dealer has the field engineer coming back tomorrow to look at some non cobras at the dealership and said that they will have to make more calls to Ford to find out what's up on my car.

Any one know anything else????

thanks

doc

Mowgli

Established Member
My Service Asst is gone til Tues. Will learn more then. I hope.

docs03

Established Member
Well, my patience is starting to wear thin.

I have the e-mail and phone number to Mr. Bill Ford Jr. and his personal assistant. Unfortunately, if I don't get a good answer tomorrow from my dealer as to what's going on I will start making phone calls to Coletti, Scarpello, Franco, and a few others that I have.

This is utter BS that we have to go through this!!!

I'm not too concerned about hurting anyones feelings at Ford or bugging them daily if that is what it's going to take.

I also have a QC manager who works in brakes looking to find out what the scoop is. He'll call some of his contacts within Fords QC department with respect to drivelines.

Sorry for venting (again), but I'm on the verge of losing it!!!

doc

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Well, I just dropped of my '03. I took the service manager for a ride so he can see for himself what I am talking about. He acknowledged the vibe at >75mph as well as the pull to the right. He stated that he will talk to SVT as well as the Ford rep. I will keep everyone posted.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Re: NO DS???

Originally posted by docs03
Well I spoke to my dealer today and they were told from Ford that there is NO new DS ( or corrected one , however you want to look at it) What the hell is going on??????

My dealer has the field engineer coming back tomorrow to look at some non cobras at the dealership and said that they will have to make more calls to Ford to find out what's up on my car.

Any one know anything else????

thanks

doc

Hey doc - this is getting ridiculous isn't it?! Last I knew, there was a new DS that was going to replace the old part number. This is what my dealer found out. So they went ahead (and were able to) put in a order for one. I believe that was last Thursday. I will have to give them a call to find out if they've heard anything yet.

docs03

Established Member
Got a call from my dealer this morning. They have the "new" DS ordered. It is under the same part number as the "old" one. The dealer should have it in a day or two. I will let everyone know if this works

doc

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by docs03
Got a call from my dealer this morning. They have the "new" DS ordered. It is under the same part number as the "old" one. The dealer should have it in a day or two. I will let everyone know if this works

doc

Awesome! Great news! Mine should be here then, too.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Well everyone, I hate to report this bad news, but those of you who have a new DS on order may want to check w/ your dealers. I just spoke w/ a fellow in the parts dept at mine, and he has just learned that they are now on national back order! Looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer. :whine:

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Had one on order since 1 Aug, this is some delay. You'd think by now the dealers would have receive authorization to outsource the part.

byevette

Momento Mori
Established Member
Originally posted by Black2003Cobra
Well everyone, I hate to report this bad news, but those of you who have a new DS on order may want to check w/ your dealers. I just spoke w/ a fellow in the parts dept at mine, and he has just learned that they are now on national back order! Looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer. :whine:

I just heard the same thing, the service guy said there is a huge back order due to the fact that there are so many of these cars with the problem. He stated that it could be anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks:cuss: .

Looks like we will all be waiting a bit longer.

cubes

Established Member
Originally posted by Stalker
Here's the latest: Heard from my service guy who just talked with the Ford engineer who was looking into my problem. He said that the machine that makes the driveshafts was the source of this problem. They have basically corrected the tool to produce correct parts, not redesigned the driveshaft. He said he should have a new DS early next week for me! woohoo!

Has anyones else confirmed this? When (approx date or production number) did Ford start installing the redesigned driveshafts on the assembly line? The conflicting statements and rumors make the whole situation more confusing.

POINTCOVER

Established Member
I hope this helps...

I got the call this morning from my dealer. He told me the Cobras they are holding for "Drivetrain issue" (or "Quality Control" according to SVT) have been released for shipping with the problem fixed. I should have mine as early as this week.

Hopefully this will help all of us. The first thing is to check for vibration with this new batch of Cobras.

I'll keep my fingers crossed............

Users who are viewing this thread