Upcoming timeframe on the next GT500 and speculation

DepWraith

Established Member
289 was listed on the dash as it's the original motor in the also mentioned 1964.5 mustang. I would tend to believe the 11.17 is date in showroom.

joeymustang

Established Member
And what are you willing to bet? There's a difference between what people are "hoping" will happen, and what "will" happen. It doesn't make much sense for Ford to put out the "king of the horsepower wars" Shelby GT500 when a refresh is a mere two years away for the Ford mustang, and they can base the new GT500 on the updated/improved platform.
Again, I don't know this for certain, but it logically makes sense. Trust me, I would like to see a 2018 model as much as the next guy, because I'd probably buy one. But I just don't see it at this point.

So why did 13/14 GT500s were done if in '15 a redesign was done. Why build 03/04 Cobras when in 05 a redesign was due and it's design started years ago.

Remember, you are thinking of 2018 now, car manufacturers think of 2018 years ago.

paluka21

Established Member
So why did 13/14 GT500s were done if in '15 a redesign was done. Why build 03/04 Cobras when in 05 a redesign was due and it's design started years ago.

Remember, you are thinking of 2018 now, car manufacturers think of 2018 years ago.

Why are you asking me? If you want definitive answers, inquire with Ford what their strategic plans were for the S197 cars, and perhaps they can provide you some factual information. My post is called speculation. Get it?
The 2013/2014 GT500's were in a long line of GT500 production beginning in 2007, with a gap of GT500's when the S550 platform hit, making room for the GT350 in 2015. Will Ford push out a GT500 model for 2018/2019 MY's when not producing any for the previous S550 lineup? Your guess is as good as mine. What happens with the 2020 refresh? Will Ford cut off the GT500 production, or will they release yet another upgraded/updated GT500?
Doesn't make much sense to me going through the R&D work to release a "new" GT500 for two MY's on a platform that is on it's way out, when a completely new refresh is on it's way with hybrid technology in 2020. Again, I could be wrong but I'll stand by this theory until I see some facts released about the car. And I would love to be wrong because I will be one of the customers buying this new vehicle.

Last edited:

Eatonualive281

Established Member
Umm what? why is everybody so damn impatient? Do you really think they would undercut the sales of the gt350? OF COURSE they are making a high hp halo car. Its classic ford here guys....Let the comp blow their load and step in with something better. Dodge will play their hand with the demon. Chevy played their hand with the z06 and the zl1. now its Fords turn. They built the new GT in a freaking basement and nobody knew about it... Dont worry guys. Have some faith.

Users who are viewing this thread