Upcoming timeframe on the next GT500 and speculation

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
You may be right. And maybe that's why Shelby American is putting out Super Snakes based on Mustang GT's when they have always been based on GT 500's before.
SA would be pretty embarrassed if Ford came out with a GT500 now.

You mean like how Saleen and Roush got the wind knocked out of them in 2002/3?

Papaw

Established Member
I hope you're right but what would SA call a GT500 that is SS'd?

A Super Super Snake? Super Duper Snake?
How about: A REAL Super Snake.

paluka21

Established Member
I'd be willing to bet there is a 2018 GT500...and I think there's a really good chance of the reveal in New York in April.

And what are you willing to bet? There's a difference between what people are "hoping" will happen, and what "will" happen. It doesn't make much sense for Ford to put out the "king of the horsepower wars" Shelby GT500 when a refresh is a mere two years away for the Ford mustang, and they can base the new GT500 on the updated/improved platform.
Again, I don't know this for certain, but it logically makes sense. Trust me, I would like to see a 2018 model as much as the next guy, because I'd probably buy one. But I just don't see it at this point.

Dig-It

New SVT Poster from 2005
Established Member
It's been done before - the '13/'14 GT500 before the '15 new chassis.

I hope you're right too!

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
And what are you willing to bet? There's a difference between what people are "hoping" will happen, and what "will" happen. It doesn't make much sense for Ford to put out the "king of the horsepower wars" Shelby GT500 when a refresh is a mere two years away for the Ford mustang, and they can base the new GT500 on the updated/improved platform.
Again, I don't know this for certain, but it logically makes sense. Trust me, I would like to see a 2018 model as much as the next guy, because I'd probably buy one. But I just don't see it at this point.

S550 will end up forgotten and unloved like the 05-07 and 94-98 cars.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

paluka21

Established Member
It's been done before - the '13/'14 GT500 before the '15 new chassis.

I hope you're right too!

It has, but all we can do is wait and see. Ford is moving in another direction and expanding its technology, hence the hybrid technology for the mustang in 2020.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
You're nuts. It's the first major change to the Mustang since 1979...the motor is worlds better, the chassis, the technology, the suspension, the look; everything. It was the first huge step forward for mustang in 36 years!

S550 will end up forgotten and unloved like the 05-07 and 94-98 cars.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
You're nuts. It's the first major change to the Mustang since 1979...the motor is worlds better, the chassis, the technology, the suspension, the look; everything. It was the first huge step forward for mustang in 36 years!

I disagree.

The S197 was a huge step forward in quality and chassis design. The 2V PI and 4V were the modern engines finally being delivered.

If the 2020 car is what everyone keeps saying it's going to be, lighter, smaller, more nimble, better styling, better engine and trans options and a GT500....

It's going to totally Eclipse the S550, just like the PI and Coyote cars eclipsed their forbearers.

Why mess with a '09 GT when the '11 GT has better styling, higher quality interior and an engine worlds better in capability?

It will be the same story.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
I disagree.

The S197 was a huge step forward in quality and chassis design. The 2V PI and 4V were the modern engines finally being delivered.

If the 2020 car is what everyone keeps saying it's going to be, lighter, smaller, more nimble, better styling, better engine and trans options and a GT500....

It's going to totally Eclipse the S550, just like the PI and Coyote cars eclipsed their forbearers.

Why mess with a '09 GT when the '11 GT has better styling, higher quality interior and an engine worlds better in capability?

It will be the same story.

The S550 is the first chassis built to perform all the way around with an IRS. The coyote was improved drastically from 14-15 (I'll see if I can find the pdf from Ford).

Of course the 2020 will be an improvement based on what Ford has been doing across the board.....that's a GOOD thing in my opinion. What they've done to turn around the brand is nothing short of amazing.

The S550 was an improvement on all levels over the S197, better looking, handling, performing, better interior, more customizable. It gave us the best mustang ever in the GT350/350R and the GT500 is yet to come. The '17 will now give us the amazing 10 speed auto (wait until you drive one), even more customization and technology and more performance from all engine combos along with the introduction of the ecoboost option.

I expect the next redesign to raise the bar even higher. Hell if Trump relaxes the EPA standards like it looks like he will the horsepower wars will continue to rage on for years.

As the new car comes out and the S550 becomes and affordable used car it will have the following of any other generation....that's the beauty of a car with such a history, everyone has their favorite generation for one reason or another. I'm not saying it's my favorite but it won't be forgotten, and it was a leap forward from the S197.

We should all enjoy this time of ultra-performance ICE powered vehicles because it's going to end at some point. Best time in history (so far) to be a car guy. :)

Last edited:

DepWraith

Established Member
Look for a limited release this summer (much like the GT350 2015 release) with normal full ordering this fall. 5.0, twin 62mm's, 775hp/700trq, priced in low 70's.

Dig-It

New SVT Poster from 2005
Established Member
Look for a limited release this summer (much like the GT350 2015 release) with normal full ordering this fall. 5.0, twin 62mm's, 775hp/700trq, priced in low 70's.
5.0? Not a 5.2?

Unless the N/A 5.2 CPC Is going in the MACH I.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Correct, very debatable. Many people don't like the retro s197. The same as people hated the sn-95 and the new edge.....there will ALWAYS be a debate over the styling. But it's hard to debate the performance.

Well thats debatable as hell. I think the 15+ cars are hideous. Just another bland sedan pretending to be a muscle car.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Fact or speculation???

Users who are viewing this thread