Under hood temps and dynoing with the hood up explained

ViciousJay

Established Member
That is correct. The Brand J was NOT the fastest either.

curious, i know ive heard that the maf signals arent clean. Is there a way to smooth them with say maybe a new elbow piece? why would the brand J show turbulence vs the other brands that supposedly dont? is there a way to fix it?

Tucker

As far as 1/4 mile times go.
Georga, 11.88's with all those mods and stock box?
This guy ran 11.72 a year and a half ago with a JLT, BBRtune and off road pipe: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/730369-111-72-114-jlt-cai-off-road-x-pipe-bbr-xtreme-93-tune-mts.html

I ran 11.90's in the 5.0 shootout with JLT, tune and headers

The bottom line is car with the intake run in the 11's, and most cars with the stock box run in the 12's. Just look at the thread in the 2011 section.

Also do a search, tons of threads over the past 2 years of times on the 5.0.
A little research goes a long way.

Thanks
Jay

Tucker

curious, i know ive heard that the maf signals arent clean. Is there a way to smooth them with say maybe a new elbow piece? why would the brand J show turbulence vs the other brands that supposedly dont? is there a way to fix it?

I've tested this MAF signal theory and found something as simple as the filter not being on the ned ofthe tube messes up the readings. So it's a test that's easily skewed.

kdanner

Banned
I've tested this MAF signal theory and found something as simple as the filter not being on the ned ofthe tube messes up the readings. So it's a test that's easily skewed.

This is a good point, let me ask you about that. I measured one of your tubes, and from the end of the plastic tube to the line which divides the smooth part from the pebble grain part, it was .800". I then measured the filter and from the end of the filter to the portion that starts to curve was also .800". So it made sense to line up the end of the filter right on the line that divides the smooth part from the pebble grain part of the tube. Is this the correct placement? If not, what is? How about putting the correct placement into the documentation which comes with the kits to prevent issues of this nature if it has been a problem?

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
Oh look the "other 2" who do nothing but attack and ruin good informative threads.

So you only use "corrected numbers" when it's in your favor? Hmmm.
Every other time you guys talk about numbers you correct them and corrected he WAS FASTER, LOL

As far as fastest at the mile, Sat. your fastest run was with the JLT, FACT. I don't care if his slowest run was with it too, the FACT is the fastest run was NOT WITH THE STOCK BOX! LOL

This thread is about IAT's and dynoing with the hood up

???

Are you talking about me? :??:

That's disingenuous at best.

Last edited:

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
As far as 1/4 mile times go.
Georga, 11.88's with all those mods and stock box?
This guy ran 11.72 a year and a half ago with a JLT, BBRtune and off road pipe: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/730369-111-72-114-jlt-cai-off-road-x-pipe-bbr-xtreme-93-tune-mts.html

I ran 11.90's in the 5.0 shootout with JLT, tune and headers

The bottom line is car with the intake run in the 11's, and most cars with the stock box run in the 12's. Just look at the thread in the 2011 section.

Also do a search, tons of threads over the past 2 years of times on the 5.0.
A little research goes a long way.

Thanks
Jay

Read it again.

11.88@118 Tune and Tires, Only

I don't yet have times from "all those mods", but I will soon. Yes, with the OEM box.

wbt

Banned
Read it again.

11.88@118 Tune and Tires, Only

I don't yet have times from "all those mods", but I will soon. Yes, with the OEM box.

My car with a tune and tires only. It went a best MPH of 120.74 on the same night. All running the stock airbox:

[youtube_browser]QON4fQ6jm4E[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Oh look the "other 2" who do nothing but attack and ruin good informative threads.

No one has attacked you.

If you post misinformation or spin things, people will point that out especially if it involves their car or testing.

:shrug:

faztcobra

Established Member
I would agree that if a CAI is legitimately making 12-15hp you would see about a .15 et drop in the ¼ mile and should see a trap pickup of 1-1.5 mph.
And if that were the case, I'd drop $300+ on a CAI. .069 definitely is not worth $300 to me. So I'll stick with the stock box for now, but I do like the idea of playing around with the lid off (I have a K&N in place already) to see what happens.

bambinov8

600WHP LOL
Established Member
My car with a tune and tires only. It went a best MPH of 120.74 on the same night. All running the stock airbox:

[youtube_browser]QON4fQ6jm4E[/youtube_browser]

Yea , so u make around maybe 400whp ...I also seen 400whp C5Z trapping that with 500 less weight ...:poke: care to share more info about this only tune 119 car ?

Last edited:

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
And if that were the case, I'd drop $300+ on a CAI. .069 definitely is not worth $300 to me. So I'll stick with the stock box for now, but I do like the idea of playing around with the lid off (I have a K&N in place already) to see what happens.

The lid is what attaches to the TB.

You'd need to play around without the box.

You know, like you did in JR High...

;)

wbt

Banned
Yea , so u make around maybe 400whp ...I also seen 400whp C5Z trapping that with 500 less weight ...:poke: care to share more info about this only tune 119 car ?

The only power mod done to the car at that time was a tune buddy. Stock drivetrain, stock exhaust, stock suspension.

I took the passenger seat out along with the spare tire.

Timeslips of said runs:

IMG_20120214_172957.jpg

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
The lid is what attaches to the TB.

Yeah that is what makes trying to do a dyno pull with the stock filter and "box" without the "box" tough.

If you can duct tape the filter on the lid and then twist the tube nearly 180 it might work...

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Not sure if this helps but back when installed the JLT, BBr tune, H pipe and gt500 mufflers (musclefan21 was there as well) we did 2 runs hood open and 4 pulls, 6 total all back to back, only to stop and close the hood. There was a difference in ambient temps but 2hp difference.

It was done on a dyno dynamic (aka the heartbreaker, reads the lowest out of any dyno)

I've done the same thing with an Airaid intake and saw less than 2HP difference.

Good info and I'm surprised only 2 HP lose, I've scene more, but every test is different.

Thanks
Jay

See above.

Im trying to figure out where TheCPE is coming from. I know he thinks it makes no difference with power, but was wondering what was the technical reason for it not to make as much power.
My suggestion above was that the stock box(because of its sealed nature from inlet behind the grill to the throttle body) was sealed and provided a forced pressure that overcame the advantage the conical filter on the JLT(or any CAI) provided. However, that is a different thread, although I love getting into the technical aspects of it all.

If indeed there is a forced pressure of some sort, you could never dyno the stock box/filter correctly unless you had one of those expensive dyno rooms you spoke of....but of course, the same thing applies to the JLT. The JLT does show an increase on the dyno. I guess hes wondering if sucking through the stock inlet behind the grill still allows enough airflow for the JLT to make the gains on the dyno.

I doubt the stock box gets pressurized very much because its intact ducting isn't directly in the path of the airflow in the front of the car. If it were you wouldn't want to drive your car in the rain. The only way to know for sure would be to install a MAP sensor in the lower portion of the before the filter, and drive around. Wouldn't be too hard to do really.

This thread is about IAT's and dynoing with the hood up

I agree, and everyone should try keeping it on track.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Yeah that is what makes trying to do a dyno pull with the stock filter and "box" without the "box" tough.

If you can duct tape the filter on the lid and then twist the tube nearly 180 it might work...

Could always glue it in place???

Not something I'd want to do though.

Users who are viewing this thread