Ultimate T56 install pics

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Got some free time today and loaded some pics from my T56 32 spline SSR hybrid conversion. Pics of the custom PST carbon fiber driveshaft next friday when I get to see/drive my car for the first time since these mods!

All trans modifications and rebuild were done at Texas Drivetrain Performance by Jason. Awesome guy to work with, the best prices I've found in the business, and most importantly to me, great customer service.

Tail housing modification
1ConversionTailhousing.jpg

Electric speedo plug added
1ConversionGMelectricspeedomod.jpg

Shortened for GM 32 spline mainshaft, allowing for .84 5th, .56 6th, 26 spline input, triple cone carbon syncros 1st-4th, steel forks, billet keys, bronze pads
1Moddedtailhousinglength.jpg

stock 27 spline tail housing bore
1Tailhousingbushingstock31sp.jpg

tailhousing bored out
1Tailhousingbushing32spmod.jpg

McLeod lightened steel flywheel, RXT clutch, Quicktime Bellhousing
T56RXTQuicktime.jpg

Quicktime block plate modification to get the starter to engage and disengage properly. The oem block plate was laid on top of the quicktime piece and clearanced from about 1/16" towards to edges and 1/8" at the center.
T56BlockPlateMod.jpg

Massive 32 spline slip yoke, dwarfs the stock 27 spline.
T5632SplineSlip.jpg

132spcomparedtostock.jpg

Mark Williams billet quick-release pinion yoke and new driveshaft length. Measurement was taken by bottoming out the slip yoke in the trans and measuring from centerline to centerline on the U-joints, minus 1 inch. Driveshaft length came out to 44 9/16"
T56MarkWilliamsYoke.jpg

MGW of course, along with a cobrabob 1/16" gasket & Anti-Venom mod, should shift amazing.
T56neworangeMGW.jpg

The gm input shaft was also modified and shortened to work with the ford bellhousing length and the tailshaft was machined down and modified with a 12 tooth reluctor to retain the electric speedo with zero calibration required. All things only available from texas drivetrain.

Last edited:

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Seems this could be done easier? Did you just do all this for upgrades or????

What part about it seems difficult? The 01 its in is going to be a standing mile twin turbo car that I also daily drive. Reliability and street manners were the main focus. If its fast, and reliable, it isn't cheap. That being said, its the only 32 spline main in the world in a cobra, which is cool to say too at the least. Shooting for 200+ mph. Theres no other way to obtain a 32 spline mainshaft in the industry, its not really that much work, and the benefits are way beyond anything that bolts right in. Never have to worry about twisted slip yoke splines ever again! The TR6060 has horrible syncro characteristics above 7,000 rpm. The gear set might be able to hold 1,000 HP, but the syncros small teeth get shredded with high rpm shifting. My set ups weakest link is the gears themselves, which are good to about 750 RWHP without direct cluster oiling. With direct cluster oiling they're good to about 800 RWHP, which it will have when I go twins in december after deployment starts. Everything else in the drivetrain is good to 1,000HP and 7,500 RPM with the triple cone syncros. Honestly, its the best option the market has to offer right now IMO. Opinions?

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
not to argue ..just ask.

The ford t56, t45, t3650 all have/had 31 splines.
All used 1330 joints with the exception of the 2003-2004 terminator which got the beefier 1350 joints.

EDIT: the Ford T5 used a 28 spline yoke (done EDIT)

The GM T56 was a 27 spline yoke.

Q: So was your original yoke a 27 spline count?

I just want to understand what's going on here.

Last edited:

gmsux

Established Member
Nice upgrade, I'm particularly interested in the syncro's. Do you know if those will work in regular 03/04 T56 trans? I'm not having any issues with my 7400 shift point now but wouldn't mind upgrading. Would like a 2.97 first gear too for that matter.

shurur

Established Member
And can I get up to speed reading this link??:
Custom built T56 32-spline SSR/Ford/LS1 F-body Hybrid - LS1TECH

So the big deally here looks to be the beefier diameter of the transmission output shaft...and shorter??....not so much the spline count....sorta thinking aloud now...

the above link seems to bounce around on the whole 27/31 spline count too with the pics.

1. What I want to see is a terminator T56 31 spline output shaft compared to this new thing...as the size of the yoke doesn't really make the point of this mod as well...or specs would be even better.

2. Then I'd also like to know how this whole thing compares to the Ford T56 magnum and the TR6060.

Last edited:

snakeraper11b

Established Member
not to argue ..just ask.

The ford t56, t45, t3650 all have/had 31 splines.
All used 1330 joints with the exception of the 2003-2004 terminator which got the beefier 1350 joint.

I just want to understand what's going on here.

mmmm I think youve got your facts mixed up. Cobra T56 output shaft is a 27 spline.

Nice upgrade, I'm particularly interested in the syncro's. Do you know if those will work in regular 03/04 T56 trans? I'm not having any issues with my 7400 shift point now but wouldn't mind upgrading. Would like a 2.97 first gear too for that matter.

The syncros will not work on the ford main shaft, they are available for the m12 gm Z06 t56 and SSR 32 spline main shaft. I went with the 2.97 first, hoping to calm first down a little once I have my twins on. With my 3.27 rear end, 26.3" tires, @ 7,100 I hit 58 mph in first, very nice.

And can I get up to speed reading this link??:
Custom built T56 32-spline SSR/Ford/LS1 F-body Hybrid - LS1TECH
Yup, thats Jason hard at work on this beast!

So the big deally here looks to be the beefier diameter of the transmission output shaft...and shorter??....not so much the spline count....sorta thinking aloud now...

the above link seems to bounce around on the whole 27/31 spline count too with the pics.

1. What I want to see is a terminator T56 31 spline output shaft compared to this new thing...as the size of the yoke doesn't really make the point of this mod as well...or specs would be even better.

2. Then I'd also like to know how this whole thing compares to the Ford T56 magnum and the TR6060.

There is no stock terminator 31 spline main. The size of the yoke is a HUGE deal when it come to transferring big power on sticky tires.

The only difference between a magnum and TR6060 is a magnum is made to use a slip yoke and the tr6060 uses a CV driveshaft. The magnum has wider gear faces to handle more power, larger bearings in some places, sold keys cast into the forks, and a 1 piece countershaft. The magnums bronze blocker rings are crap compared to the triple carbons on my conversion. Bearing failures are not common in the T56, so no need to address that at this time, I went with billet keys to address the common broken ones, and a 1 piece countershaft is available in a trans built like mine based on the c6 z06 trans with modification to the tailhousing in a 2 piece countershaft trans, but thats only warranted above 800hp, and around 850hp is my goal. Direct cluster oiling on the input cluster greatly increases the life of the trans and allows big power on extended runs without overheating the gears, so no real need for the wider gears at 850 RWHP and below with the above mods.

With that being said, when they designed the tr6060 with wider gears, the synchros had to budge to make room, thus creating the achilles heel of trans. No high rpm shifting for the big bad magnum. I on the other hand can bang um with the best at 7,000-7,500 all day.

Last edited:

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Last edited:

snakeraper11b

Established Member

yokecomparison.jpg

Enough said.

shurur

Established Member
so 27 spline for 03-04 t56...ford racing sells a 31 spline and T56 magnum is 31 spline (maybe tr6060 as well)...your pic was FORD T56 compared to your new transission.

and NO not enough has been said until we sort this out...I want to know where this transmission sets in the Mustang transmission line-up because it interests me..

And I get all the other advantages the oiling system, the high speed shift...I just thought the magnum TR6060 was beefier than the t56 in terms of the tail shaft.

ASIDE: I only have plans for a 400+ DD..so even a magnum is overkill..the way I baby my car my T45 might last forever.

Last edited:

snakeraper11b

Established Member
what are we looking at here....

T56 magnum now...TR6060..because I thought the magnum was beefed to 31 spline viper-spec??

Youre looking at the 32 spline yoke vs the oem 27

so 27 spline for 03-04 t56...ford racing sells a 31 spline and T56 magnum is 31 spline (maybe tr6060 as well)...your pic was FORD T56 compared to your new transission.

and NO not enough has been said until we sort this out...I want to know where this transmission sets in the Mustang transmission line-up because it interests me..

Viper spec is a 30 spline main.

This is the best trans for the money on the market if you have less than 800 rwhp and dont want to cap your shift points at 7,000 rpm and are set on beating the piss out of your car.

The tr6060 is a fussy girl, this built T56 is the neighborhood slut. You can bang her as hard as you want, she'll come back for more.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
With that being said, when they designed the tr6060 with wider gears, the synchros had to budge to make room, thus creating the achilles heel of trans. No high rpm shifting for the big bad magnum. I on the other hand can bang um with the best at 7,000-7,500 all day.

Your saying a Magnum won't shift OK at 7000 rpms? It's smoother than a TKO at that range:shrug:

shurur

Established Member
No I just thought the magnum or viper spec might have a larger diameter output shaft somewhere in between the SSR and OEM T56. So I wanted to see that pic/spec comparison.

And I had heard that the TR6060 was a somehow compromised T56 magnum....at least in the chevy camaro.

This is one of the places I can show where the 27/31 spline info is out there..so theres a lot of confusion about spline count and such
So Thought the 27 spline was t56 Chevy..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremec_T-56_transmission

EDIT: And even this Tremec document shows the T56 mustang output shaft as 31-spline
http://www.ttcautomotive.com/Spanish/onlineorder/pdf/Light_Duty_Condensed_Specs.pdf

31 spline again
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-4602SC/2003-04-Mustang-Cobra-Aluminum-Driveshaft

Looks awesome.

Last edited:

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Your saying a Magnum won't shift OK at 7000 rpms? It's smoother than a TKO at that range:shrug:

It is supposedly smoother, but there are more horror stories like this on the web than I can count. With all my mods, the smoothness should be negligible.

LS1TECH - View Single Post - T-56 Magnum Vs. TR6060

Some guys with BRAND NEW cars, missing 1 or 2 shifts, grinding from there on out, F that for over 3 grand. The T56 magnum is bad ass for what it is, but it is not the end all be all like it was marketed as.

THIS trans is the end all be all. Its basically a hybrid of a magnum and my 32 spline trans with 9310 hardened alloy gears that are stronger and cut at a different angle than the T56's. Best of both worlds and zero compromise.

Tranzilla - Rockland Standard Gear, Inc.
But its also over 5 grand.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
No I just thought the magnum or viper spec might have a larger diameter output shaft somewhere in between the SSR and OEM T56. So I wanted to see that pic/spec comparison.

And I had heard that the TR6060 was a somehow compromised T56 magnum....at least in the chevy camaro.

This is one of the places I can show where the 27/31 spline info is out there..so theres a lot of confusion about spline count and such
So Thought the 27 spline was t56 Chevy..

Borg-Warner T-56 transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks awesome.

This explains the difference between a viper spec trans and my SSR. Mine is identical to the specs of the son of tranzilla.

Dodge Viper - Rockland Standard Gear, Inc.

gmsux

Established Member
Reading through this the upgraded 03/04 T56 (26 input, steel retainer, billet shift fork, carbon syncro, 27spline output) shouldn't shift at 7200-7400 that it does. I wonder if that is normal or abnormal. My shift light is set to 7200 but, I routinely go over that when on the open track.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Reading through this the upgraded 03/04 T56 (26 input, steel retainer, billet shift fork, carbon syncro, 27spline output) shouldn't shift at 7200-7400 that it does. I wonder if that is normal or abnormal. My shift light is set to 7200 but, I routinely go over that when on the open track.

Its not exactly abnormal, but its definitely ill advised. The carbon syncro upgrade probably helps you out a lot, but they dont have the surface area of the triple cone syncros. You're putting a lot of stress on the double cone syncros asking them to match clutch speed at that rpm. What kind of clutch do you have? Light weight, and twin disc clutches offer lower rotational inertia, prolong syncro life, and increase max rpm shifting capability.

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member

Your all good!:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread