Twins vs single?

poof100

Established Member
Ahh I see! That's freaking awesome!! Thanks for the clarifications. Any videos of said car? Sounds like an amazing setup.

Here you go, enjoy:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/V0HhrVfdR_U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Stormtrooper5.0

Established Member
Here you go, enjoy:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/V0HhrVfdR_U?list=UUBli32ntKmxIDKSEc_zjjMw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ahh I see! I was unaware that this was your car! I love this car. Such an amazing setup. Keep it up man!

MRSUPRA

Established Member
I am running the AMS 1000 boost controller that allows you to run Boost by Gear. Since my car is a stick, we run a different boost level for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears. We ran 145mph on our best pass with the following boost levels in each gear:

1st- 6.5psi
2nd- 8psi
3rd- 10psi
4th- 10-11psi

Basically what I meant is that we went 145mph in the 1/4 with only running 10psi in 3rd and 4th gear and lower boost levels in 1st/2nd. Wanted to show how efficient the Single 76 setup is at low boost levels.

That's pretty darn good. I wonder how much less power it would make on pump gas at that boost level. I'm sure the timing is jacked up with the E85.

Bud

Established Member
Ok? Do you have the uncorrected graph that is 17-20% lower than the one you posted?

^^^that. Not knocking the setup as 1000+ is still huge power, but that car did not make 1250 actual to the tire. Correction factors make people feel good but reality of the situation is...not a 1250rwhp car.

CSG

Established Member
I'm not big on dyno numbers so you guys help me out, but if we are trying to compare apples to apples don't we need to use corrected numbers to corrected numbers? How do we make a fair comparison otherwise? Are the correction factors flawed?

stretchb

Established Member
I'm not big on dyno numbers so you guys help me out, but if we are trying to compare apples to apples don't we need to use corrected numbers to corrected numbers? How do we make a fair comparison otherwise? Are the correction factors flawed?

I agree, let the track numbers do the talking.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member

CSG

Established Member
Hellion is not real forthcoming with the info on that run. I have asked about the converter in the car, fuel used and boost numbers.... crickets...

wikdlx

The Bone
Established Member
for the kits that are out there, I would take the hellion over the JPC. The JPC is a lot of $$, and close in cost to the hellion, and you retain your stock manifolds. If their kit included some high flow headers, it would be a better deal.
That being said, look at the fastest cars at the tracks, when talking turbo combinations, they are running twins.
Aesthetically, twins look and sound better, IMO :)

Deespeed99

Established Member
Isn't Albuquerque 5500 + feet ASL ?

I was thinking the same thing. The SAE correction at that elevation is a good 150-200hp i would think.

I am not going to start, argue or anything and will not down grade anything and I mean that!!

But Hellions car has the same system that everyone can buy and did make 1250 SAE in NM. Below is the attached graph. We did tune this car. Aluminator motor w/ valve spring & billet gear, Return style fuel system w/ race fuel, basic Twin turbo kit from Hellion, and a manual

And before someone says MPH isn't accurate. with dyno's running off a wheel sensor, the mph reading is the true info.

but here is the graph in RPM. You can see we even let off just over 6500. The number is only different by 15 and I can promise no one will feel that difference.

OP, you can be happy with either route. Just comes down to what you really want with the car.

Here is Hellions car with it on low boost and crappy weather

Hellion 2012 Eliminator 9 Second Pass. - YouTube

here is another street version twin kit on pump gas

9.8 pass on TT Coyote - YouTube

Yes.... their are faster ones out there.

But again, either single or twin, the owner will be happy with the results.

Steve do you have the un-corrected numbers? Im curious what the difference is.

Deespeed99

Established Member
for the kits that are out there, I would take the hellion over the JPC. The JPC is a lot of $$, and close in cost to the hellion, and you retain your stock manifolds. If their kit included some high flow headers, it would be a better deal.
That being said, look at the fastest cars at the tracks, when talking turbo combinations, they are running twins.

Sound better?

poof100

Established Member

Damn, I didn't realize the stock headers were limiting me to almost 900hp at the tires on only 14psi on a stock motor. :rollseyes

Regarding the fastest Drag cars out there, yes, they are Running Twin Turbo setups. However, they are running Twin 91s, 94s, 98s or even bigger. Those high HP TT drag cars aren't running around with Twin 62s or 67s out there. The comparison of a High HP TT Drag car versus a Street/Strip setup isn't really a comparison at all. Of course Twin 91s will make more power than a Single 91.

The intent of the OP was to compare the pros/cons of running a Hellion or similar style TT street/strip setup to a Single Turbo street/strip setup. Both will make power and both have their pros and cons.

D.T.R

Established Member
And let this be another pissing contest...

I love both... twin and single setups. Both can accomplish the same end result on a street car.
I have twins for the 5.0.... but i will go big single on a coyote swapped fox body that I will be doing some time soon.

stretchb

Established Member

I disagree, I think a BIG single sounds better.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
I would agree, a big single sounds great!! I just wish the JPC kit had a recirculated wg..not a fan of that raspy noise, I just want clean turbo noise.

Nuar

Established Member
Damn, I didn't realize the stock headers were limiting me to almost 900hp at the tires on only 14psi on a stock motor. :rollseyes
I thi k he meant that as more of a cost to what you get ratio.
I agree. The jpc kit is too damn expensive.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
Thanks for all the responses everyone. A lot of good input here. I started the thread mainly out of curiosity as i do not have the funds for any FI at the time but i do plan on it eventually when i have the money. At first i was all about the TVS then the 2.9 whipple started growing on me then i started following beefcakes car and getting really interested in centri blowers, JT trim, 8 rib= bad ass. Now im very interested in JPC's single! So many options to chose from.. If i had the money now it would be JPC hands down but who knows what ill be thinking by the time i actually can afford it. Thanks again for everyone's input.

poof100

Established Member
I thi k he meant that as more of a cost to what you get ratio.
I agree. The jpc kit is too damn expensive.

There seems to be a few posts about costs of the JPC kit. I'm curious to what you guys think the kit should cost and what is included etc. :shrug:

When you add up all of the parts that are included in the kit, you will see where the cost comes from.

billet 7675 turbo
2 46mm Precision wastegates
Tial BOV
custom JPC coolant tank (This is EXTRA $$$ when buying a Paxton/Vortech etc)
T clamps
Huge Race Air to Air Intercooler
Thermo wrap
Stainless steel piping
Manual Boost controller
Sway Bar delete kit

Those are the main components of the kit. Is it more expensive than a Paxton kit, sure, it is. However, I think there are some unrealistic expectations on what a properly designed and tested Single Turbo kit should cost. Also a kit that fits well, doesn't have issues etc.

Users who are viewing this thread