twin tubro compound system

L1ghtning

2001 ford lightning
Established Member
So im debating on hellion twin tubro compound system. Just couple questions:

Who has done this?

The kit is 5600 dollars, What else do I need? (IE MAF, injectors, Fuel pumps)

I seen it made 700 HP on stock internals and am impressed. Any input would be great.

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
Sgt d has one on his car and he apparently loves it. I'm sure he will get on this thread when he sees it. :lol1: I rode in one that a local tuner shop owns. It seem very drivable and had awesome performance.

Last edited:

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
the car is just insane and a base asis kit all you will need is some injectors, i got a great deal from jared at lethal.

i went with the intercooler and the abaco maf, this was suggested to dial in drivability. a tweak or two after the initial tune resulted in a smoot, stock feeling, ride until you press the pedal and it is a completely different animal.

i have not pushed the car to it's limits yet but i had a buddy that wanted to roll from about thirty, he has a 450 hp saleen and i put bus lengths on him with minimal effort and my girlfriend asked what happened, she thought he hit his brakes:rockon:

if i was buying this kit again the only thing i would change would be the addition of the eboost.

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
I have the kit with a stock motor car and went 10.39 at 138 on pump gas baby!! The car is just effortless insane power!! The best way to explain it is: It feels like you got shot out of a cannon!! I'm installing a new motor, 9in rear and complete return style fuel system right now...Then hopefully we will put the ney sayers to rest!!:rolling:

Oh yeah back to your question: 80lb injectors, a tuner of your choice, a mafia, and I would highly recommend the eboost 2 controller..It's a really nice touch..I think you can have 4 or 5 settings...

Last edited:

Blaine

Established Member
Any of you guy know how much the Hellion Kit weighs? I know the KB adds almost another 50lbs. Not that 50lbs matters when you add 200 rwhp.:shrug:

And there is always the option of removing the supercharger at the expense of low end torque which can also be fixed with smaller turbos.

I'm thinking the the Hellion Turbo kit would be a BIG weighloss esp. wo/the weight of the Supercharger or the Cats. I'm definitely going the Hellion Non-compound route here very soon with the smaller turbo option.

Also, anyone go with the Ball Bearing Turbo upgrade? And what advantage does this add?

I may seem anal about all the little weights of every little itty bitty part.. but this does add up fast. And it does matter on a big fast car like the GT500. For example, just by picking brand X over brand Y suspension is the difference of over 50 lbs. Facts performance shops like to hide is the weights of the parts they sell.:read:

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
Blaine, my car with the Hellion kit weighs 3990 and Andy's car with the KB weighs 4050..He weighs 45lbs more then me. We both have lightweight wheels. Those weights are driver included and a 1/2 tank of gas!!

Tony

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
Blaine, also I really don't understand why you are so against taking the blower off...unless you are going full race. You should try and ride in a compound car..Come to Florida and drive mine anytime...You will be sold!!

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
I think turbos have more potential power and I like being able to adjust the boost at the turn of a boost controller dial. I have a highly modded twin turbo VR4 so I am sold on twin turbos. There were a few of things that made me choose a whipple instead.

1. A little less expensive

2. Less complicated. Only one FI device instead of 3. Not really much more complicated than a stock Shelby.

3. Can keep cats. Texas is getting harder on "fake" inspections. Your car is inspected with the vin number so people who looked the other way and inspected the car in the past won't do it for OBD II cars anymore. :shrug: I didn't want to get heart burn trying to inspect my car each year.

4. Still makes in the 700hp range with 93 octane.

5. I like the thought of 500ftlb of torque at 2000rpm.

6. I really didn't care for the location of the air filters in the Hellion kit.

So for me the Whipple was the way to go although I admit I was tempted by the Hellion kit.

Last edited:

Blaine

Established Member
Blaine, also I really don't understand why you are so against taking the blower off...unless you are going full race. You should try and ride in a compound car..Come to Florida and drive mine anytime...You will be sold!!

I would be running my kit compound at first, but a non compound would be a possible long term goal after the engine has been upgraded.

Removing the Supercharger will remove well over 50lbs off the front in addition to the reduced parasitic HP loss from the supercharger belt. Thus allowing all 16lbs of boost be from the Turbos instead of 8/8 psi. BUT from the dyno comparison below... it seems that not much HP was sucked in by the supercharger at Max power.:shrug:

Only downside is all the bottom end HP loss and HUGE amounts of bottom end TQ loss... which not sure how much of this could/can be picked up with smaller ball bearing turbos. Comparing Dyno graphs ....

Hellion TT Compound: @17psi
@3k rpms.....400rwhp/750 TQ
Max.............711rwhp/736 TQ

Hellion TT Non-Compound: @17 psi
@3k rpms.....200 rwhp/375 TQ................-200 rwhp/-375 TQ
Max.............800 rwhp/727 TQ................+89 rwhp/-9 TQ

By far the Compound is the better performer at only 17 psi. The lack of power under 3k would be very noticable.... make that Highly.:pop:

What is even more interesting is the fact that comparing the Turbo dyno sheets to an equally or even more modded 3.4 whipple dyno sheet is that the Hellion kit makes MORE TQ at 3k rpms. (2.9 whipple shows ~80+ less TQ at 3k rpms than the 3.4 Whipple/KB Stage 3 is about = in numbers to the 2.9 Whipple@3k rpms) So people claiming they picked the KB/Whipple because it has more TQ/power at lower rpm... this claim is not backed up on the dyno.

***Average taken from numbers from several dyno sheets of equally modded vehicles with the same type of supercharger*** (Individual results may vary.)

Last edited:

coanbread

Banned
Blaine, my car with the Hellion kit weighs 3990 and Andy's car with the KB weighs 4050..He weighs 45lbs more then me. We both have lightweight wheels. Those weights are driver included and a 1/2 tank of gas!!

Tony

what other weight mods have you done. and is that 3990 without the SC?

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
3990 is with the compound set up...No front sway bar and Bogarts all the way around..I weight 200..

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Until I ride in "MR" TT's car @ MW I will hold off on 2.9 Whipple/Hellion TT kit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread