TVS Guys With Aftermarket Converters, I Need Feedback!

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I plan on getting a 82mm and also some better springs along with the converter. E85 is not local to me and even if chose that route it would be more costly than a converter.

You could get a separate tune for track only also... For running race gas & 21* of timing. If your timing is around 17* now on pump, that's like a 30whp gain.

466roller

Established Member
I picked up .2 in the 60ft from added timing in the lower rpm range. This was when I was tuned by VMP. I'm sure it'll go quicker, just log it and have the tweaks made to the tune.

JLear

2014 GT
Established Member
My car has been 10.80 with a 1.60 60' on 93 octane in +1800 da and 10.70 with a 1.59 60' on ms109 in +2650 da, I feel like the car runs good as is but I think getting the 60 down with a converter will be the cheapest and safest way to knock some et off. I know I can add alot more power to improve the 60' and overall et but I'm just not comfortable pushing the stock motor much harder. You don't know when it's too much until it's too much LoL.

bmoney50

Established Member
My car has been 10.80 with a 1.60 60' on 93 octane in +1800 da and 10.70 with a 1.59 60' on ms109 in +2650 da, I feel like the car runs good as is but I think getting the 60 down with a converter will be the cheapest and safest way to knock some et off. I know I can add alot more power to improve the 60' and overall et but I'm just not comfortable pushing the stock motor much harder. You don't know when it's too much until it's too much LoL.

It will work I was trying to do the same thing go as fast as I can without blowing the motor.. I should be in the 1.3s in good air this fall. If you have a ton of power and E85 a stock converter will get there.

JLear

2014 GT
Established Member
It will work I was trying to do the same thing go as fast as I can without blowing the motor.. I should be in the 1.3s in good air this fall. If you have a ton of power and E85 a stock converter will get there.

I'm with ya sir, I know how to get better 60's with the stock converter but just not willing to push it if there's a safer alternative for the stock engine. Sometimes people see all these crazy numbers posted and don't know everything it took to get there.

Riptide

Established Member
How high can you rev it on the stock converter at the line before it pushes past the brake?

I ran a 10.9@127 1.69 60'. Wondering if I can get out of the hole a little better and score a 10.8.

Justin is sending me a ms109 tune that should get me there but it would be nice to squeeze a bit more out of it on the pump tune.

Last edited:

JLear

2014 GT
Established Member
How high can you rev it on the stock converter at the line before it pushes past the brake?

I ran a 10.9@127 1.69 60'. Wondering if I can get out of the hole a little better and score a 10.8.

Justin is sending me a ms109 tune that should get me there but it would be nice to squeeze a bit more out of it on the pump tune.

Not much, I usually just give mine enough to load the drive train. I usually have slower 60's if I try to stall.

Riptide

Established Member
Thanks. I will experiment a bit more next time.

What were your results trying to launch off idle? I left at 1000-1200 last time out there.

vortecd

Established Member
I'm trying to get mine to 60ft better so will be looking forward to your results

JLear

2014 GT
Established Member
Sorry for the delay, I had forgotten about this thread. I recently went to the track in some good air with a race tune using MS109 fuel. Previously with the stock converter the best 60' I ever got was 1.59 with the normal being in the low to mid 1.6x range. Here is the best 60' (on left) and fastest pass (on right), the car did spin a little on the fastest pass but I'm not sure if it shifted to 2nd early as a result.

7709722e-c9ef-44b3-87ee-7777e2a61461_zpszi5kj1xb.jpg

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Very interesting results... You did prove that it helps, but keep in mind you also added quite a bit more power.
Every time I went to a smaller pulley (85 to 82 to 79 to 69) my 60' got better & better!
I'm curious what your pump gas results are, more of a apples to apples comparison. I would have like to have seen you run this race gas tune with the stock converter. It would be interesting to see trap speeds of both, I'm thinking a looser converter loses 2mph on the big end from slippage. Make sure you update this thread if and when you go to a smaller pulley.

I was talking to my tuner today about trying a converter in my car next year. He keeps talking me out of it at my power level. His answer is to add more power.

vortecd

Established Member
He posted them in his other thread, a 1.49 on pump gas with a 85 pulley

JLear

2014 GT
Established Member
Very interesting results... You did prove that it helps, but keep in mind you also added quite a bit more power.
Every time I went to a smaller pulley (85 to 82 to 79 to 69) my 60' got better & better!
I'm curious what your pump gas results are, more of a apples to apples comparison. I would have like to have seen you run this race gas tune with the stock converter. It would be interesting to see trap speeds of both, I'm thinking a looser converter loses 2mph on the big end from slippage. Make sure you update this thread if and when you go to a smaller pulley.

I was talking to my tuner today about trying a converter in my car next year. He keeps talking me out of it at my power level. His answer is to add more power.

Just to be clear, I have a 82mm pulley but it has yet to be put on, the above passes are on the 85 pulley. On pump gas the best 60' with the converter was 1.49.

Last edited:

bmoney50

Established Member
Just to be clear, I have a 82mm pulley but it has yet to be put on, the above passes are on the 85 pulley. On pump gas the best 60' with the converter was 1.49.

Your 60' numbers look alot like what I saw with stock versus a 2C. I have pretty much tested them all. Modified stock, 2C, 4C, 5C, and I prefer the 2C to them all in performance and race ability. I am about to put a fuel system in the car and turn it up so we will see how the 2C does with more power.

Users who are viewing this thread