TVS Guys With Aftermarket Converters, I Need Feedback!

JLear

2014 GT
Established Member
I'm running a Gen 2 VMP TVS with a 85mm pulley on the stock engine, my car runs pretty good at the track but the 60' leaves a LOT of room for improvement. So far the best 60' is 1.59 and most of the time it's in the low to mid 1.6x range, I have BMR suspension and run ET Street Pro's.

I had a 4c in my car when it was n/a but never cared much for the way it drove so we removed it when the blower was installed. I don't particularly want another converter but at this point it's the cheapest way to go a little faster without adding hp. With all that being said, what converter are you guys running, how close is the driveability compared to stock converter, and if installed after the blower how much did it improve your 60'?

Thanks in advance!

corepwn

Established Member
I really don't believe in a converter for the TVS cars. My car weighs as much if not more than most, and I don't believe I was making exceptional power.
Are you racing at elevation?

JLear

2014 GT
Established Member
I really don't believe in a converter for the TVS cars. My car weighs as much if not more than most, and I don't believe I was making exceptional power.
Are you racing at elevation?

Da this time of year is usually in the +2500-4000 range. Spring and fall will see da in the 0-1500 and sometimes it dips in the negatives.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
We sell a lot of stock converters that have been restalled by circle d for an extra 500rpm's. A lot of TVS cars buy and use them.

corepwn

Established Member
The biggest benefit to those re-stalls is not in the ability to 60 any better, but is in the durability of the upgraded clutches.
The stock converter is more than capable of 1.3 60s depending on hp level. OP should be able to CONSISTENTLY hit mid to low 1.5s in 2000 or lower DA with his power and a stock converter.

Maybe the suspension needs tuning? Maybe the tune could use a little bit of timing down low? It's hard to say. I've only ran stock suspension myself.

corepwn

Established Member
CircleD sells them for $500 with a core and has them in stock. I expect TBR to have similar or better pricing.

JLear

2014 GT
Established Member
The biggest benefit to those re-stalls is not in the ability to 60 any better, but is in the durability of the upgraded clutches.
The stock converter is more than capable of 1.3 60s depending on hp level. OP should be able to CONSISTENTLY hit mid to low 1.5s in 2000 or lower DA with his power and a stock converter.

Maybe the suspension needs tuning? Maybe the tune could use a little bit of timing down low? It's hard to say. I've only ran stock suspension myself.

I had never heard of the stock converter upgrade, I'm just curious how much 500 rpms over stock would help.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
How's your timing at the launch? That makes a big differance in your 60'... Also a smaller pulley will improve your 60' also. Every time I went with a smaller pulley the 60' always picked up...

bmoney50

Established Member
I will give you my opinion.. I personally like a converter in a tvs car. It will make a difference especially in lower hp heavy cars. I have tested a stock converter modified by circle d, 2c,4c and 5c. My car on 82mm, gen 1, stock airbox at 3930 pounds went 10.60 with a 4c on pump gas and high 1.4 60ft. On race Gas same setup and worse DA the car went 10.34 with a 1.44 60ft. I decided to try a modded stock converter to see if the car would still 60ft and it slowed down to a best of 1.57. I personally wouldn't run a modded stock again. I then swapped to a 2c and the car went a best of 1.51. Now back to a looser converter and in 3800 da the car went a 1.44 Saturday night. Converters work well but as you move up in power the extra torque does close that gap. The 2 benefits people forget with a looser converter are easier to stage with less push through the lights and they are easier on the motor not hitting that low in the rpm range with all that torque. When I get a built motor on e85 then I am going back to a 2c. Even the fastest TVS coyote is trying a new converter with positive results. My buddy and I have gotten pretty quick at swapping converters too!

Last edited:

JLear

2014 GT
Established Member
I will give you my opinion.. I personally like a converter in a tvs car. It will make a difference especially in lower hp heavy cars. I have tested a stock converter modified by circle d, 2c,4c and 5c. My car on 82mm, gen 1, stock airbox at 3930 pounds went 10.60 with a 4c on pump gas and high 1.4 60ft. On race Gas same setup and worse DA the car went 10.34 with a 1.44 60ft. I decided to try a modded stock converter to see if the car would still 60ft and it slowed down to a best of 1.57. I personally wouldn't run a modded stock again. I then swapped to a 2c and the car went a best of 1.51. Now back to a looser converter and in 3800 da the car went a 1.44 Saturday night. Converters work well but as you move up in power the extra torque does close that gap. The 2 benefits people forget with a looser converter are easier to stage with less push through the lights and they are easier on the motor not hitting that low in the rpm range with all that torque. When I get a built motor on e85 then I am going back to a 2c. Even the fastest TVS coyote is trying a new converter with positive results. My buddy and I have gotten pretty quick at swapping converters too!

That's some great feedback, thank you very much! What was the da for your 4c runs with both fuels? What is the difference in a 3b and a 3c?

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Bmoney50... Have you considered running a 79mm pulley with your stock airbox? Very Nice information to know.

barnspace007

Established Member
I had a circle d in my tvs car. Way to many problems. If you street race you want have any traction from a dig. Just way to much torque down low....

prn1972

Established Member
I'm running a Gen 2 VMP TVS with a 85mm pulley on the stock engine, my car runs pretty good at the track but the 60' leaves a LOT of room for improvement. So far the best 60' is 1.59 and most of the time it's in the low to mid 1.6x range, I have BMR suspension and run ET Street Pro's.

I had a 4c in my car when it was n/a but never cared much for the way it drove so we removed it when the blower was installed. I don't particularly want another converter but at this point it's the cheapest way to go a little faster without adding hp. With all that being said, what converter are you guys running, how close is the driveability compared to stock converter, and if installed after the blower how much did it improve your 60'?

Thanks in advance!
Most people use the stock converter on a TVS car. The fastest TVS car I know of uses one of the loosened up stock converters. It's Justine's ( VMP owner ) wife Rebecca. It ran a 8.9x last I heard.

prn1972

Established Member
Check out this F.B. page of TVS, twin screw car....here is the list, it has been updated in a while...
36523c84ad0fa3ca1a6f955b8daf7454.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/577757689011805/

JLear

2014 GT
Established Member
Most people use the stock converter on a TVS car. The fastest TVS car I know of uses one of the loosened up stock converters. It's Justine's ( VMP owner ) wife Rebecca. It ran a 8.9x last I heard.

Here's the thing you have to consider, I'm on a 85mm pulley making around 570 rwhp on the stock engine, they're making 800-900. If I could afford to build my car like theirs then I'd be getting 1.2x 60's as well lol

Also I used to be a member of that Facebook group with the TVS until I called out the the guy running the list for not updating it in months, everyone seemed to be offended by me so I just left the group. Don't start a list of you're not going to maintain it, just my opinion.

Last edited:

prn1972

Established Member
Here's the thing you have to consider, I'm on a 85mm pulley making around 570 rwhp on the stock engine, they're making 800-900. If I could afford to build my car like theirs then I'd be getting 1.2x 60's as well lol

Also I used to be a member of that Facebook group with the TVS until I called out the the guy running the list for not updating it in months, everyone seemed to be offended by me so I just left the group. Don't start a list of you're not going to maintain it, just my opinion.
IMO I wouldn't spend money on a converter when the stock one does as well as it does. You still have room to grow with the stock motor and still be safe. Why not try a 82mm pulley if you have a CAI. Or a 79mm pulley if you have the stock TVS closed air box. Maybe try some E85 also. These suggestions with a new tune should lower your 60'.

JLear

2014 GT
Established Member
IMO I wouldn't spend money on a converter when the stock one does as well as it does. You still have room to grow with the stock motor and still be safe. Why not try a 82mm pulley if you have a CAI. Or a 79mm pulley if you have the stock TVS closed air box. Maybe try some E85 also. These suggestions with a new tune should lower your 60'.

I plan on getting a 82mm and also some better springs along with the converter. E85 is not local to me and even if chose that route it would be more costly than a converter.

Users who are viewing this thread