TVS Dyno Graph Comparison

cj428mach

Established Member
I believe Lasota's Manual recommends a max of 18psi and 17 degrees of timing on 93 octane. So if you remove 1pt of octane you need to remove either 1 psi or 1 degree of timing.

NiceCobra

Established Member
I'm at 16.5-17 psi and 16.5* timing . Tuner put me on the safe side he said since it's a street car

stangfreak

Established Member
Graphs like this have been posted since the 2.2 kb came out. Modularfords had a thread on which graph / car would be more fun to drive on the street. It was a ported eaton upper lower vs a low boosted 2.2. Most picked the eaton chart.

My rule of thumb, from having this car fir 13 years and seeing big turkey keep up with twinscrews with his eaton, venomous johns car, and others, I will only run 19 lbs of boost with any blower larger than a 2.2. Just my opinion.

You had guys asking, is it ok to run 18 lbs on pump with a 3.4 whipple? Sure go ahead. Then they complain about low end tq. I'm not saying about you guys here. Just stating what's been going on when people switch to bigger blowers. You want that hard hit? You need to spin them. Or it's the tune. Tvs is not like a twin screw so Iv heard.

My 2.9 whipple at 22 lbs was more violent than my 2.3 whipple and my upper lower ported eaton. Way more violent. The 2.9 is a big blower. Still violent bc I am running it at its proper boost level. Now I'm at 25 lbs.

Your car may need a retune. The tvs should hit hard. But me? I'd run a tvs at 19. If it was my car. I had a 2.4 kb as well on 15 then 17. Junk. I put the eaton back on and had a blast. Wish I had experience back then. I'd run it at 19. Look at way back in the day, guys running 15 16 lbs on a 2.2 kb and could barely pull a upper lower ported eaton cobra. Peak hp didn't matter at that point. 19 lbs is where it's at.

You guys with 2.9 and bigger blowers, you need boost and good gas. Hate to say it. Unless you have a built motor with more compression and cubes. Then run that big blower on low boost and pump if you want to.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Graphs like this have been posted since the 2.2 kb came out. Modularfords had a thread on which graph / car would be more fun to drive on the street. It was a ported eaton upper lower vs a low boosted 2.2. Most picked the eaton chart.

My rule of thumb, from having this car fir 13 years and seeing big turkey keep up with twinscrews with his eaton, venomous johns car, and others, I will only run 19 lbs of boost with any blower larger than a 2.2. Just my opinion.

You had guys asking, is it ok to run 18 lbs on pump with a 3.4 whipple? Sure go ahead. Then they complain about low end tq. I'm not saying about you guys here. Just stating what's been going on when people switch to bigger blowers. You want that hard hit? You need to spin them. Or it's the tune. Tvs is not like a twin screw so Iv heard.

My 2.9 whipple at 22 lbs was more violent than my 2.3 whipple and my upper lower ported eaton. Way more violent. The 2.9 is a big blower. Still violent bc I am running it at its proper boost level. Now I'm at 25 lbs.

Your car may need a retune. The tvs should hit hard. But me? I'd run a tvs at 19. If it was my car. I had a 2.4 kb as well on 15 then 17. Junk. I put the eaton back on and had a blast. Wish I had experience back then. I'd run it at 19. Look at way back in the day, guys running 15 16 lbs on a 2.2 kb and could barely pull a upper lower ported eaton cobra. Peak hp didn't matter at that point. 19 lbs is where it's at.

You guys with 2.9 and bigger blowers, you need boost and good gas. Hate to say it. Unless you have a built motor with more compression and cubes. Then run that big blower on low boost and pump if you want to.

Some good info! My car seems to hit pretty hard on 19 psi, at least I think so. I don't have much to compare it to. I'm going to try the smaller 2.6 upper and see if it will get me 21 psi. If I'm having trouble with to much belt slip, I'll likely go back to the 2.8 pulley.

Woody6799

Established Member

Your car may need a retune. The tvs should hit hard. But me? I'd run a tvs at 19. If it was my car. I had a 2.4 kb as well on 15 then 17. Junk. I put the eaton back on and had a blast. Wish I had experience back then. I'd run it at 19.

I know the bigger blowers need to spin harder to really shine but I thought 17# on the TVS would be fun enough. I have been talking to 04sleeper and I am swapping to the 2.8 pulley which should put me at 19# with my long tubes... guess my new tune will be testing your theory out. I hope you're right.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Woody I can't figure out why your not happy, I'm hoping it's the tune. Because your making 660/585? Doubt I'm making that and mines fun and hits hard down low.

stangfreak

Established Member
I know the bigger blowers need to spin harder to really shine but I thought 17# on the TVS would be fun enough. I have been talking to 04sleeper and I am swapping to the 2.8 pulley which should put me at 19# with my long tubes... guess my new tune will be testing your theory out. I hope you're right.

I mean, the tvs for me is new. It wasn't around back in the day. Like I said, I may be wrong? I have always heard that the tvs hits hard down low. even a lower boost levels. For the twinscrews, I am a fan of 19lbs. I will not run them any lower. Peak hp is cool and all, but its all about power under the curve. Thats why back in the day, an eaton cobra was keeping up with a 15 16lb 2.2 kb cobra. And lets not forget when procharger came out with the bolt on kit for our cars. 650rwhp procharged cobras barely pulling on ported eaton cobras.

04sleeper is a great tuner. Heard many good things. even kevin hand, down in jersey. I like kevin, as he is very picky and makes sure everything is working 100%. 19lbs on a tvs should be bad ass. My friend has a tvs on 19lbs and the car runs very hard.

stangfreak

Established Member
Some good info! My car seems to hit pretty hard on 19 psi, at least I think so. I don't have much to compare it to. I'm going to try the smaller 2.6 upper and see if it will get me 21 psi. If I'm having trouble with to much belt slip, I'll likely go back to the 2.8 pulley.

you can always throw a 2lb lower if belt slip will be a concern instead of going with a really really small upper. That boost level, 19 and up? for these big blowrs? is the sweet spot. Its perfect. You can run 19lbs on pump gas with no issue. I did it for years. Just need a good tune. If you have e85? even better. The car will run strong. Your car at 21lbs with e85 or race gas will be a strong runner. I know the tvs doesn't like to be spun very hard and will be out of its efficiency level.

My car was always an under achiever. My car never hit as hard as 90% of the cobras I have driven. My shop thinks my cam timing is off. Its a softer car, and makes less power than most cobras with identical setups. But I dont care bc I dont race for money.

But, with the 2.9 whipple, the car is freakin violent now even at 22lbs. when the 2.9 came out, people were like omg I will loose low end tq. whatever whipple did with the 2.9? they nailed it. I love this blower. I have been in mustang magics snakebite cobra, drove it, been in 2.8h cobras, 2.8 mammoth, 2.3 whipples, 2.4 kb, You name it. any blower setup you can think of I have had or been in.

My new setup is going to be the crusher intake for my 2.9 at 25lbs. Maybe e85 I am not sure yet. And if there is some money left, I am going to sell my motor and build a 324ci motor, with high compression, custom cams, ported heads. livernois will do the build

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
you can always throw a 2lb lower if belt slip will be a concern instead of going with a really really small upper. That boost level, 19 and up? for these big blowrs? is the sweet spot. Its perfect. You can run 19lbs on pump gas with no issue. I did it for years. Just need a good tune. If you have e85? even better. The car will run strong. Your car at 21lbs with e85 or race gas will be a strong runner. I know the tvs doesn't like to be spun very hard and will be out of its efficiency level.

My car was always an under achiever. My car never hit as hard as 90% of the cobras I have driven. My shop thinks my cam timing is off. Its a softer car, and makes less power than most cobras with identical setups. But I dont care bc I dont race for money.

But, with the 2.9 whipple, the car is freakin violent now even at 22lbs. when the 2.9 came out, people were like omg I will loose low end tq. whatever whipple did with the 2.9? they nailed it. I love this blower. I have been in mustang magics snakebite cobra, drove it, been in 2.8h cobras, 2.8 mammoth, 2.3 whipples, 2.4 kb, You name it. any blower setup you can think of I have had or been in.

My new setup is going to be the crusher intake for my 2.9 at 25lbs. Maybe e85 I am not sure yet. And if there is some money left, I am going to sell my motor and build a 324ci motor, with high compression, custom cams, ported heads. livernois will do the build

Check out my vid in my Sig, it's towards the end of video. That's 19psi, e85, and 04sleeper tune.

stangfreak

Established Member
your car moves out man. I looked at your speedo, it moved fast and your boost gauge, it went right to 19lbs, no build up nothing. seems good to me!

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Bdubbs, on the dyno he used I bet your car would put down 750 in the same conditions.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
your car moves out man. I looked at your speedo, it moved fast and your boost gauge, it went right to 19lbs, no build up nothing. seems good to me!

Thanks man, I've just never been sure. I've never rode in or raced another 03-04 cobra so I don't have much to compare to.

Bdubbs, on the dyno he used I bet your car would put down 750 in the same conditions.

Whoa on 19 psi?

Users who are viewing this thread