Turbo or Blower.. I can't decide on what to do..

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
I have tons of experience with turbos.. I just don't feel like fabbing up a setup.. ;) I do this for a living (Nissan stuff), and I just want a simple setup. The Novi will get me there, and I really like that blower. I'm going to go with the TFS heads, with Cushman TFS blower cams. I should easily get to my goal, and run mid 10's, no problem.

Travis

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
I have tons of experience with turbos.. I just don't feel like fabbing up a setup.. ;) I do this for a living (Nissan stuff), and I just want a simple setup. The Novi will get me there, and I really like that blower. I'm going to go with the TFS heads, with Cushman TFS blower cams. I should easily get to my goal, and run mid 10's, no problem.

Travis

What was the point of this thread then? :dw:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member

Travis

Thats cool. Keep us updated when it gets finished. I've been waiting for people to run the Trick Flow heads and FI as the Trick Flow heads are far superior to even ported PI heads. With the increase in cfm from the heads you may want to consider stepping up to the Novi 2200.

2001sleeper

Established Member
since you are going Novi, why not use a 12% OD, pulley the Novi for 20+ psi and use a wastegate-boost controller. It would be a trick setup and give you a little better low end grunt on the centri.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
What was the point of this thread then? :dw:

To get input and make a decision.. If I went 4 valve, it would have been easier for me, since there are more piping kits, and choices. But, sticking with the TF 2 valve heads, limits me in off the shelf parts (at least, affordable ones).. and I don't have the time to fab up a turbo kit for my personal vehicle. I do this for a living, and I just don't have time.

2001sleeper

Established Member
I'm not the best at internet explaining this stuff, but I will give it a shot.
You would have to be blow thru with a wastegate on the cold side piping so that you could bleed off the boost. A novi pushing 10psi will have a certain power band and boost development as will a novi pushing 20psi. Naturally, the novi pullied for 20psi will see boost byild quicker and will make better power in the lower rpms. Using a wastegate you can keep your novi pullied for 20psi and just bleed of the boost made beyond 10psi to stay safe (just an example). Although you are still only pushing 10psi, you would see your 10psi sooner and your powerband would benefit from this.
A 12%OD would allow you to spin the blower fast without using the smallest pulley available and this alone will help eliminate belt slip.
Sort of get the drift? I have only seen a few setups like this, but I have always wanted to do it. I plan on going this route sometime this year, but the fact I am draw thru has me dragging my feet. I believe a magazine or two have written articles on these setups.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Makes sense.. So, the result would be identical to stepping up the internal ratio, on the bottom end, and you just bleed off as much boost as you need, to get to your desired peak boost level on the top end.

Add a nice electronic boost controller, and you can dial it in to whatever you want.

Pretty cool idea.. I might have to try this out..

Travis

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Makes sense.. So, the result would be identical to stepping up the internal ratio, on the bottom end, and you just bleed off as much boost as you need, to get to your desired peak boost level on the top end.

Add a nice electronic boost controller, and you can dial it in to whatever you want.

Pretty cool idea.. I might have to try this out..

Travis

Thats right! Nice thing about it is there is no more need for a pulley change! Tune on 20-25psi with 100+octane and be done with it! Use the boost controller to limit boost to 15psi on the street and run 91-93 pump gas but have the power curve of the 20-25psi pulley. Some day I will be running this kind of set up for my car.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
To get input and make a decision.. If I went 4 valve, it would have been easier for me, since there are more piping kits, and choices. But, sticking with the TF 2 valve heads, limits me in off the shelf parts (at least, affordable ones).. and I don't have the time to fab up a turbo kit for my personal vehicle. I do this for a living, and I just don't have time.

Exactly and this thread served that purpose. You heard the pros and cons of each and some good ideas were presented and based off of all you made a decision.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Damn.. I never thought to even try that, but, it makes perfect sense! I actually used to loosen up my blow off valve, in my old mustang, to do the exact same thing, but, it wasn't controllable, at all, and it was erratic. A wastegate would probably work much better, and, as long as you don't overspin the blower, then, it should work just fine..

Travis

Wildcard

Established Member
Sounds exciting. I always wanted to do a cog setup when I was supercharged. That setup that you are discussing was used in turbo cars a long time ago. Seems like it is eliminating many of the cons that a supercharger had.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
I can't wait to try it out.. I've got a Tial 38mm sitting here that I can use.. and a old Profec B boost controller. :)

BTW, are you in touch with John Mihovetz? (I see his name in your sig) I'm trying to find out if he still has the Novi 2000 head unit for sale. It was listed on Ebay last week, but, I don't see it anymore, and it didn't sell on the auction.

Travis

2001sleeper

Established Member
I will be trying this setup on a YSI. However, since the YSI was a good chunk of change it will be a few months until I am ready to spend more money for the conversion.

Wildcard

Established Member
I can't wait to try it out.. I've got a Tial 38mm sitting here that I can use.. and a old Profec B boost controller. :)

BTW, are you in touch with John Mihovetz? (I see his name in your sig) I'm trying to find out if he still has the Novi 2000 head unit for sale. It was listed on Ebay last week, but, I don't see it anymore, and it didn't sell on the auction.

Travis

yah he's family. I'd take bullet for that guy. I was trying to sell that same unit a long time ago. I'll check and see.

Users who are viewing this thread