Turbo or Blower.. I can't decide on what to do..

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Ok.. So, I've owned several blower cars.. from centri, to twin screw.. The one that I REALLY enjoyed the most, was my 2000 GT. I buit it back in 2005. It was very simple.. with a stock 2 valve (windsor), Viper spec T56, Novi 2000 head unit, and hand fabbed A/A cooler/piping. It ran high 11's on drag radials, and was a blast to drive. The Novi 2000 is a BEAST.

I also built a 650whp KB Lightning.. It made great power, but, honestly, I could never get it to the ground. The TQ curve was insane, and impossible to hook up on the street.

Last weekend, I had the chance to drive a 600+whp twin turbo GT (2 valve), with a T56. I was amazed at how strong the car pulled up top.. It felt a lot like my Novi powered Mustang.

So, I'm undecided.. I have a 04 GT, with a built 2 valve short block. I picked up a set of stock 4 valve C heads, 99 Cobra intake manifold, timing cover, gears, yada, yada. The problem, is that if I use this short block, the compression ratio will be around 8.2:1.

I want to make around 700whp.. Can the stock C heads/cams, with some good valve springs, and a 8.2:1 C/R motor, work decently with a single turbo setup? Would a Novi 2000 still perform decently on that C/R with stock heads/cams? It's a toss up between those two, but, I just wanted to hear opinions from those who have done this before.

Travis

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
A centri blower will feel like a tired old dog with only 3 legs with an 8.2.1 compression ratio. IMO 9.5.1 is as low as I would go with a centri blower. That set up can work with a turbo however. A good sized turbo, 67-70mm will get you to 700rwhp and still spool quickly in the mid rpm range and still provide some decent low rpm power. I vote turbo.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
That's what I figured, too.. Believe it or not, spool up RPM for a turbine isn't really determined by C/R. Transient response takes a dump (the time that it takes for the turbo to go from boost onset, to full boost), but, the turbo will still start making boost at almost the same RPM. So, maybe that's not such a bad thing.. It won't come in like a light switch, plus, I can run more boost on pump gas.

So, if I keep the pistons that I have, and go 4 valve, turbo is the way to go.. I might try that new billet 67mm from Precision..

img2069.jpg

I've seen it make 800+whp, at 30+ psi, so, 650-700 should be no problem in the mid 20's on race gas. :)

Travis

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
That's what I figured, too.. Believe it or not, spool up RPM for a turbine isn't really determined by C/R. Transient response takes a dump (the time that it takes for the turbo to go from boost onset, to full boost), but, the turbo will still start making boost at almost the same RPM. So, maybe that's not such a bad thing.. It won't come in like a light switch, plus, I can run more boost on pump gas.

So, if I keep the pistons that I have, and go 4 valve, turbo is the way to go.. I might try that new billet 67mm from Precision..

img2069.jpg

I've seen it make 800+whp, at 30+ psi, so, 650-700 should be no problem in the mid 20's on race gas. :)

Travis

I know its not. But low compression engine and centri means that in that time you are not getting boost(rpm based centri) the car is very slugish. So under 3k rpms it will suck balls.

Wildcard

Established Member
I would change the compression if you can, but turbo is a good option. But before 3000 rpm it will be a dog.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
I know its not. But low compression engine and centri means that in that time you are not getting boost(rpm based centri) the car is very slugish. So under 3k rpms it will suck balls.

Oh.. I wasn't talking about a blower.. I was talking about the turbine side of a turbocharger.

Agreed, on the centrifugal needing higher compression, though. If I did the Novi, I'd probably do a 9:1 C/R setup. But, I think I'm going to just stick with what I have, and go turbo. I think I may have been slightly off with my math, anyway.. I found out that the Modmax pistons in my short block, are 17cc, and that, at the installed height for that specific piston, that it will come out to around 8.5:1 with a 4 valve C head, and around 8.9:1, with a 2 valve PI head, that has the small wall in the combustion chamber removed. So, I'm good at 8.5:1, with a decently sized single turbo.

Travis

Roll Race Rob

Established Member
the lower compression will allow you to run more boost on a lesser quality fuel, i.e. pump gas.
look into the borg warner s366 and s374 series turbos as well...

ITRIEDEL

Established Member
i say turbo...ive ridden in supercharged cars...and i got a turbo'd cobra...allows u too hook easier on tires since I can launch with 300rwhp and get 570rwhp once i hit the top of my powerband... i love it..

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Turbos will always be more fun for a street car, IMO. You will never use the power of a blower around town, and the highway is where turbos will shine.

Wildcard

Established Member
From my experience roots and screw types are great for street light to street light driving. The torque was immedate and amazing, but the hp wasn't as high as with the centrifigual superchargers. Centrifigual superchargers are excellent for top speed runs or for highway driving lots of hp but not a huge amount of torque. For my turbo experience it's been the best of both worlds. Tons of hp and tons of torque. Plus no pesky belt slippage- one of the best things, as if you've had a blower you know how annoying this is. But for torque last time I was 608 ft/lb at 8 psi. Gotta love torque

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Ive already done the research and im going turbo! I have problems hooking up now,much less putting 550 to the ground trying to launch it.The power comes in when you need it the most with a turbo.At least thats what ive come to believe.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Well, I've made up my mind.. lol..

I'm going to run the old, trusty, Novi 2000, and I'm going to just stay 2 valve. I'm still undecided on which heads to go with, but, I'm leaning towards the trick flow heads, with Cushman Motorsports Stage 2 blower cams (originally VT stage 2 blower cams). I've been told that this is a really good combo. This will keep me from having to change pistons, and mess with the wiring/accessories, etc.. I know that I can easily hit 650whp with this setup, and the Novi produces a similar powerband to most turbo setups. The Novi has a more linear TQ curve than a turbo setup, but, that's fine.. It'll help with traction. :)

Travis

ezstang87

Established Member
If you are going for big hp numbers. I would go with the turbo. I have had nitrous, supercharger and then turbo in that order on my old fox body car and I wish I would have went turbo first. Turbo is the only way to go. Blowers will do the job but in my personal experience with my cars, a turbo was easier and cheaper to obtain my hp goals.

Users who are viewing this thread