Turbo 383 stroker notch build

selbyvince

Established Member
Well, its been a few years now since I had a build thread. Since I got a magazine shoot out of the old comp orange 04 I built, id like to start fresh and do another mag worthy car. But actually keep it this time. lol. For those that didn't get to see my last build thread, check out my sig.

Decided after I sold the car the next build would be another foxbody, although I did almost buy a few 03-04 rollers, I did follow through with the original plan. I wanted a black coupe, and was not going to settle. After some searching I found the one I wanted. A 1989 original v8 black coupe. Car is very clean, and already really been built. It had a fresh 306 with less then 40 miles on it. I wanted the car, even though I didn't plan on keeping the setup. So I picked her up and brought her home.

List of mods that came on car:
Engine:
Forged 306 short block 9.5;1 compression-
Factory 5.0 block
· Trickflow Stage 1 cam (221/225 -- 499”/510”)
· Trickflow Twisted Wedge 170cc heads (58cc chambers, CNC ported to 205cc)
· 1.6 roller rockers w/ springs good for 600” lift
· Trickflow Upper/Lower intake manifold (ported lower)
· Throttle Body & Intake spacer
· BBK 70 mm throttle body
· SCT chip (tuned by Stang Hi Performance)
· BBK Under drive pulley
· March serpentine setup
· C&L 76mm MAF calibrated for 24lb injectors
· MSD coil and 6al box
· Ford racing distributor and wires
· High volume oil pump
· C&L Cold air intake
· A/C / Heater / Smog delete

Transmission:
-Built C4 Transmission-
· TCI 3800-4000 convertor
· TCI Trans-brake valve body
· B&M ratchet shifter
· Ford Racing Aluminum driveshaft
· UPR Driveshaft loop

Rear end:
-Ford 8.8-
· 31 Spline Moser axles
· Extended studs
· Detroit trutrack
· 3.73 gears

Suspension:
· UPR Tubular K-member & lower control arms
· Caster/Camber plates
· UPR coil-overs (front)
· D-spec adjustable struts (rear)
· Spherical Upper/lower control arms
· Energy suspension motor mounts and trans mounts
· Sub-frame connectors
· Torque boxes re-enforced
· UPR bump steer kit
· H&R springs

Fuel:
· Factory tank with upgraded fuel pump
· 24 # injectors

Cooling:
· Aluminum 2 core radiator
· Crappy ebay 12" electric fan

Exhaust:
· BBK ceramic coated long tube headers
· BBK H pipe
· Flowmaster catback
· Locking header bolts

Wheels/Tires:
· 15x10 rear & 15x4 front Billet Specialties Wheels
· Generic front tires
· Mickey Thompson 275/50/15 drag radials

Miscellaneous:
· March radiator cover
· Tinted head lights
· Fibertrend 4” cowl hood
· Painless wiring harness
· New paint job in 2012
· Converted to black interior (late-model-restoration seat covers, seat belts etc..)
· Tinted widnows
· Aftermarket water temp, oil pressure, tach, and battery gauges
· Rear seat delete
· Radio delete

Now, my plans are to ditch pretty much everything other then the suspension, trans, wheels/tires, and rear end. I bought a 351 Sportsman “R” Block and its getting assembled right now at G&G (local shop). It will be a 383 Stroker (3.75 stroke, 4.040 bore internally balanced w/ 4340 forged scat crank, SCAT H-beam rods, I-19 rod bolts, Probe dished pistons (for inline heads), and ARP main studs. It should be finished this week.

Ive also already ordered my cam (comp cams 877-16), billet timing chain set, DSS 1020 main support girdle, Stewart high flow water pump, Melling oil pump with ARP driveshaft, lifters (comp cams 877-16), ARP head studs, Derale dual 12" electric fan w/ aluminum shroud (3750 cfm), and a pair of AFR's tall valve covers. Ive also ordered all the sheet metal to smooth out the engine bay from scott rod.

Im going to be running the AFR 220 race heads, 1.6 comp rockers, DSS rocker girdle, super victor lower intake, spyder upper intake, either March or billet specialties polished pulley set, and a 3-4 core radiator. Fuel system will be a sumped tank from glens performance, -10 feed w/ -8 return line, magnafuel 750 pump, and id1000 injectors. The car will be 93 octane with torco or meth. And ill most likely have an e85 tune. Ill be tossing in a 10 point cage with scott rod's sheet metal rear seat delete and trunk paneling. Still debating on mini tubbing the car as well. Once completed it will be heading to Pasadena, TX for a custom turbo kit from black mamba speed. Shooting to be in the 750ish range on low boost. And may crank up from there as I see fit. Im sure the car will see some 1k+ hp down the road after everything is broke in and adjusted to my liking.

Pics to come, stay tuned!

1.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
IMG_7096.JPG
IMG_7140.JPG

Last edited:

selbyvince

Established Member
As of right now I have the motor out already. I parted the motor out, so I still have a few pieces left. But mostly everything is gone. I ordered my scott rod panels today, so hoping they will come in pretty quick so I can get the engine bay all welded and smoothed out. The previous owner owns a body shop and hes the one that painted the car a few years ago. He will be re-painted the engine bay for me. All other parts I ordered should be here Tuesday, just waiting on G&G to finish up assembling the rotating assembly then ill be able to install all the new parts I bought. Picked up a chassis works 10 point cage that ill be looking at installing real soon.

Pistons didn't look so great for being in a 40 mile motor
03.jpg
Another stupid decision someone made on the headers, good thing I don't need them lol
04.jpg
How she sits as of now
02.jpg

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,134
Last edited:

selbyvince

Established Member
Subscribing! Looking to do a similar build in the future.

:beer:

Got word that G&G was boring, honing, and decking the block yesterday. So they still have a little work to do on my shortblock before ill be getting it. My wife said I had some boxes from suumit show up yesterday so looks like ill have some goodies waiting for me when I get in from work next week. Supposed to be sending me some pics of what came in tonight. Ill update. Guess scottrod is working on my order, haven't heard anything from them since I placed my order (they make everything to order I assume).

selbyvince

Established Member
Well my Scott Rod order wont be fulfilled for another 4 weeks, so I guess ill have to find something else to work on when I get in from offshore.

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
This thread is going to make me bankrupt, Im fighting it so hard to build my S351. lol Looks like it is going be a fun car to play with, and cant wait to see it when finished!!

selbyvince

Established Member
Well I got word yesterday that my shortblock is completed at G&G. Unfortunately for me, its costing me $700 more than I was told. Supposedly needed more work, and they had to buy a flywheel to balance it. Guess its part of it, but its never news you like to hear lol. Anyway, ill have my wife go get it, thatll give me a little something to do when I get home. Motor will be ready for heads soon (which I was about to order, but that kicked into my head funds a little)

Offshore huh? What work do you do?

I work for Enterprise Products. Im an I&E tech as far as my title. But on a platform of 4 people, im also a production operator, mechanic, pneumatic tech, cook, and a maid lol

This thread is going to make me bankrupt, Im fighting it so hard to build my S351. lol Looks like it is going be a fun car to play with, and cant wait to see it when finished!!

Lol, well it took me about 3 years since I build the cobra to recoupe enough that I could build another one. Youll get there. Funny, my sportsman block came out of a 1999 red s-351. :beer:

selbyvince

Established Member
Love black notchbacks. Awesome build thread.

Thanks bud, ill have some pics of the shortblock on Friday, decided to go get it myself. Going to west texas next weekend so wont get any work done over the weekend. But going to start assembling the rest of the short block come Monday. Check back for pics.

selbyvince

Established Member
No new updates, working on a few other things (concrete slab in front of the garage and walkway around my house, new tires for the z71, summer vacation etc. Ill be getting back to this soon. Talked with ARF, going to be ordering their 220 heads with the lighter spring package to better suit my build. Hoping to have those ordered in the next two months or so. Still waiting on my Scottrod panels to get in so I can get that process started.

selbyvince

Established Member
That monster is sounding better every post! Whats the hp limit on the block if you dont mind me asking??

Thanks man, going a little slow at the moment. But the pace will pick up soon. Mixed reviews really on the HP rating. I believe its somewhere around 1500 hp. This car will live most of its life around 700-800 hp with possibility of being turned up into the low 1k's at some point. I seriously think its going to be a hassle to get the 700 to the ground. So I don't see going up over that really. But im building it to be able to turn up the boost and not have to really change much parts in case I do decide to turn it up later. Car is going to be tubbed as well, so ill have a good wide tire for it. This short block came out of my buddies procharger F1A saleen s351. It made a little over 900 hp for years before he pulled it out to be freshened up. He ended up buying a boss 427 for it, so I ended up with it.

Users who are viewing this thread