Tuners in WA

havok209

US Army
Established Member
I'm down if it's after I get back from Afghanistan in January. I would just have my wife take it in but I have a SC kit to throw on when I get home.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Problem is so many people want someone to come, but then when it comes time to put down 5-6-700 bucks, only 2-3 people pony up and the trip gets cancelled. Happened to the last few up here. Rick at Amazon and Greg at RET.

Sequim Snake

Established Member
I've been considering making a pilgramige down to Portland Speed Industries for an SCT tune.

Blackmax,

Is this Portland speed industries reputable? It looks really nice on their website....if they are as good as their shop looks, a Portland trip would be the way to go:banana:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
With the stuff Reed has tuned it would probably take him 15 minutes to figure out how to tune on an SCT..

I have no doubt he could figure it out. He probably has enough on his plate already though doing Supras, Lambos, Vipers, etc... and anything running an AEM. There's probably not too many guys that would want to pay the amount he can demand. I think it's like $400/hr.

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
Yeah guys just stay the hell away from TMS. Although Andy does NOT tune there anymore... he got a job at Boeing lol. Apparently not too successful in the tuning world. I dont know whos tuning there now but I was at the dyno day three weeks ago and there was a guy running the show but I have no idea who he was.

Me personally... Im having Eric Brooks of Brookspeed tune my car remotely. I heard he is excellent with remote tunes and I have exchanged many emails with him and he has answered every retarded question I could throw at him and usually very promptly. He seems VERY confident in his abilities and from every review I could find on him there wasnt any negative feedback.

BTW- I was the one up here trying to fly Greg from RET up here (another excellent choice but not as strong remotely) but the deal fell through cause as someone else had stated when it comes time to put your money where your mouth is its tough to get people to commit... myself included lol:bash:

mr2cam

Established Member
I have no doubt he could figure it out. He probably has enough on his plate already though doing Supras, Lambos, Vipers, etc... and anything running an AEM. There's probably not too many guys that would want to pay the amount he can demand. I think it's like $400/hr.

He isn't that much.. I talked to him a while back about tuning my friends fox body that has an AEM and it wasn't near as much as I expected.. When I get a chance I will dig up the e-mail on the pricing per hour.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
He isn't that much.. I talked to him a while back about tuning my friends fox body that has an AEM and it wasn't near as much as I expected.. When I get a chance I will dig up the e-mail on the pricing per hour.

You may be right. That was just a number I remember hearing be thrown around from my good friend who had him tune his RB26 240 and my friend Dave I mentioned earlier, his Supra as well as another friends 1400hp Supra was tuned by Reed. It was probably an exaggeration but it's pricey is all I know.

99Blkcobravert

Established Member
So why not a tune from Rick @Amazon. I know he's busy, but if you have a wideband and datalogger he will work with you until it's good, so they say.

Hurley

Established Member
I know I am down to help pay to get someone to come up here. I would love for an actual hands on dyno tune to my car and not just a programmer not that they are all bad just saying.

mr2cam

Established Member
You may be right. That was just a number I remember hearing be thrown around from my good friend who had him tune his RB26 240 and my friend Dave I mentioned earlier, his Supra as well as another friends 1400hp Supra was tuned by Reed. It was probably an exaggeration but it's pricey is all I know.

Last time I talked to John this is what he said for his price..

"I charge $800 for a full tune, including the dyno time. This includes power tuning, drive ability, startup, etc. "

topfueldart

Established Member
I'd be interested as well. I know Co-brat already attempted this, and had trouble getting enough people to commit. Its not a cheap endeavor to true to fly someone up here/rent a shop etc.

Last edited:

Abilor

Established Member
See now, all this talk is why I want to learn to tune for this platform myself, rather than trust others. I had some modest success in Mazdaspeed tuning (Abilor's Tooning Guide for Noobs - Mazdaspeed Forums), and I'm hoping this gives me enough of a base to start learning on this platform. I've got the Greg Banish book coming, and will also get with Don La Sota on the phone to get his software, books, and DVD's. Also planning on getting the advanced SCT training for the Ford platform.

From there my goal is to get a grip on the base tune, and take my Boss 302 from bone stock up through to supercharged. Are people trading maps on here? Working together on street tunes? Dynos are great, and I'd jump at the chance to use one, but there's something great about a 'street' tune that's set up and data logged properly in the real world.

I may write a guide for this platform like I wrote for the Mazdaspeed. I did e-tunes for many members there. This platform is the next great adventure for me, and this seems like the forum to do it, as no other forums even seem interested in tuning.

Who else is thinking along these lines?

Hurley

Established Member
I'd be interested as well. I know Co-brat already attempted this, and had trouble getting enough people to commit. Its not a cheap endeavor to true to fly someone up here/rent a shop etc.

Yeah it isn't cheap but if you figure you got 9-10 people in on this chipping in what? 100 bucks? maybe a little more? it shouldn't be too bad as far as price goes. I am not sure what the top tuners in the mustang community charge but it can't be no more than 500 right?

Danno44

Squatchin
Established Member
Just flying a reputable tuner in and putting him up in a hotel is 500 bones right there. Remote tune is the best way to go. Ive been through all this BS many times with many tuners. It will save you alot of money and hassle.

Blackmax

Established Member
Blackmax,

Is this Portland speed industries reputable? It looks really nice on their website....if they are as good as their shop looks, a Portland trip would be the way to go:banana:

I have no idea other than a racer from Portland has all his work and tuning done there. He runs a meth syestem on a blown motor and it seems to be well tuned. I'm surprised no one here knows them though.:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread