Tuner says catted x will hurt performance on 2.3 whipple

04MC

Established Member
So I told my friend to go with magnaflow catted x + SLP LM2 or stingers since I have heard some clips and the combo sounds awesome. Today I talked to him and he said "oh I went with off road magnaflow x pipe + slp lm2 I was like why u like RASP ... he's like well the guy said catted will hurt performance a lot and no cats will help the whipple a lot. BS OR?

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Tuner may be right. Catted will typically make a lil less power, especially at higher power levels.

The more air you take in, usually the more you need to get out.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
The most you are going to lose is a 3-5rwhp by going with a catted midpipe over a catless one. Hell you may gain a couple ft-lbs of torque due to more backpressure(these cars love backpressure).

But to actually think you are going to notice 3-5rwhp loss on a car eaton car, much less a Twin Screw, your crazy. Your decision should be based solely on your sound preferences. You like a quiet or loud car?

04MC

Established Member
RAZRS EDGE said:
The most you are going to lose is a 3-5rwhp by going with a catted midpipe over a catless one. Hell you may gain a couple ft-lbs of torque due to more backpressure(these cars love backpressure).

But to actually think you are going to notice 3-5rwhp loss on a car eaton car, much less a Twin Screw, your crazy. Your decision should be based solely on your sound preferences. You like a quiet or loud car?

Well I tried to tell my friend, but he said the tuner knows more about cobras than I do, so :D

Thanks for all the input. More input welcome before I send him the link to this thread

Fuxton

Established Member
I lost 10rwhp switching to a catted h pipe from a prochamber. Everything was the same except it was 10 degrees warmer.

PushinTheLimit

Established Member
Alot of catted midpipes quiet these cars down... although it seems that the MRT catted H still gives you plenty of sound and volume.

danny03cobra

Established Member
These cars are not naturally asperated so they dont need the back pressure, and the car will run hotter with cats. You will loose some power with cats 10-15rwhp but the main reason i dont run cats is the HEAT prodused by them.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Losing a few hp should not be the decision maker IMO. It should be more based on sound and loudness. Many/most buy catless midpipes because they are louder. And isn't it true that with a catless midpipe you lose a bit of low end torque?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
So we can avoid him.

04MC said:
Well I tried to tell my friend, but he said the tuner knows more about cobras than I do, so :D

Thanks for all the input. More input welcome before I send him the link to this thread
Who is the tuner?

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
My tuner also said a catted X is not worth much loss. The 03 Cobra catted X is unique to this engine. At least, that's what I've been reading. I don't think changing it out will gain you much. As for hurting a Whipple motor, I don't believe it. Get a second opinion.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Your tuner is absolutely correct....Your RWHP will go from 620 with the catted X to 624 RWHP with the off-road X.

Most of us base this decision on the sound they are looking for. Performance differences are considered too minimal to impact the decision.

Users who are viewing this thread