Tuner and Pulley Swap ??

Mike_Cobra03

Established Member
I have a 03 cobra and was wanting to a do a pulley swap with a tune.

I wanted to get some different opinions on what ppl thought was the best hand programer to buy would be and if anyone knew where you can buy a kit with the pulley and the tuner together.

How much does a pulley swap and a tuner help on hp...

car has full cat back exhuast and cold air.

Thanks!

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
First,welcome.Second take some time and explore the site.There is tons of info here.As far as the handhelds go,see what the tuner you decide to use recommends.

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
yea this website is an endless supply of info.

Theres a bunch of questions you'll want to ask yourself when doing a pulley swap?

What size pulley do u want? The smaller = the more boost. Typically 2.76 is the most common I'd say for most hp while remaining safe for your engine.

When you do the pulley swap, do u want to do it the right way or the cheap way?
Replacing all of your idler pulleys, and throwing a nice gatorback belt on there...then tune it for perfection.

or

throwing the smaller pulley on, one tensioner and hopin for the best.

Just a tip... OEM idler pulleys can and WILL fail eventually. I'd Highly recommend replacing them with a set of billetflow or metco's for piece of mind. Search this forum for some absolute HORROR stories about how 1 bad idler pulley ****ed engine bays bad, especially the one of the lowest idler.

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
you should see some nice average gains of about 50hp with a pulley and tune. but the big seat of the pants increase will be cuz of the nice torque increase too

best of luck with it!

Mike_Cobra03

Established Member
I want to do it the right way......can you give me some ideals on that. I was looking at the SCT sf3/xcal3 tuner and the 2.81 pulley..

but if their is a kit that is better with all the pulleys that would great.

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
I want to do it the right way......can you give me some ideals on that. I was looking at the SCT sf3/xcal3 tuner and the 2.81 pulley..

but if their is a kit that is better with all the pulleys that would great.

lethalperformance.com is really good!

BilletFlow 03-04 Cobra Snub Idler Bracket w/4 Idler Pulleys [BF-IDLER4PULLEYCOMBO] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs is a full Idler kit you'd be looking at. You'd probably have to buy the supercharger pulley seperately but you can get it all by the same company.

As for the SCT3, its a great tuner... just gotta make sure a local tuner by you uses this product to tune cars.

Mike_Cobra03

Established Member
So for the kit on lethal performance, thats all the pulleys besides the blower pulley right ?

What set up are you running on your car ?

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
So for the kit on lethal performance, thats all the pulleys besides the blower pulley right ?

What set up are you running on your car ?

Correct, that swaps out all your OEM idlers and you'll then just need a supercharger pulley and probably a new belt (gatorback are great)

At the moment I'm still on the stock pulley but this christmas season is when I'll be doing this same upgrade. I'll be running a 2.76 pulley with the billetflow or metco idlers. I have a catback and a k&n just like you now and hope to get around 450-460 hp and a lot of torque aswell.

another common swap is a 2.9 upperpulley with a 4lb lower pulley, especially with a lot of ported applications i've seen.

My personal plans are to do the pulley now and upgrade my supporting mods for a twin screw next. I also want to reinforce my IRS a lot with one of the bushings kits out there and stiffen up my ride with some flsfc's and get some better springs because I'm rollin with a vert.

How big are your plans for your car? A few mods to tweak a little extra hp out of it or big money mods down the line to customize the car exactly how ya want it? The great thing about the 03/04 cobra is that it can cater to any price budget on mods and still get significant improvements. :beer:

Mike_Cobra03

Established Member
When you do the different pulley set up with the idler pulley and the blower pulley....what tune are you gonig to run with it ? You have to do a tune after you change that stuff right ?

I have always had several gt cars and had a foxbody coupe but just like everyone a 03 cobra has been my dream car. finally got one....

it has a few other little mods like different spline and clutch, stuff like that .....

The car is my everyday driver right now, but im just wanting to do the major bolt on and get it close to a 500hp street car. cause just as well as you know these cars are fast right now.

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
^^^ thats a pretty good deal, u'll just need to swap ur idlers if u go that route. and yea you'll definitly want to tune it once you throw that pulley on. I'm going to get my tune for 93 octane since its readily available in NJ. It's cool how Amazon offers multiple handhelds in that package so you can pick the one you want!

Mike_Cobra03

Established Member
Yes i know it....so i think thats a pretty good deal to...then i could just buy those idlers on leathel performance you showed me and be ready to go ! Im going to contact them and see what they say !

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
Yes i know it....so i think thats a pretty good deal to...then i could just buy those idlers on leathel performance you showed me and be ready to go ! Im going to contact them and see what they say !

you will be VERY happy :beer:

pulley is definitly a night and day difference type mod:pepper:

Users who are viewing this thread