Tuned 03 unable to get NY inspection

JWExperience

Established Member
Hi all, the shop I went to said I couldn’t get inspected because the tune wasn’t allowing the computer to communicate with my car. I’m assuming because of the emissions since I live in NY. He said I prob need a tuner to switch between the stock map and my current tune.
Can I pull my current tune off the ecu myself using a sct x4 and get a stock map on my x4 also so that I can switch between for inspections or do I need a tuner to do that for me? One tuner quoted me $700 so I thought I would check here before I drop that coin.
My car is a 03 cobra vert and has a intake, exhaust and 2.8 pulley for performance mods. It was originally tuned by Houston performance and they’re not responding to two separate attempts. It runs great with the exception of occasionally stalling when coasting to a light and dyno’d at 475 whp. I managed to find a sct x4 bama tuner that was never married locally for $50.
Thanks in advance for any insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Should be as simple as finding a tuner that will give you a custom tune with all the emissions switches turned on. Another way to word this is having a tuner start with a completely stock tune and only making adjustments for your mods...leaving all emissions switches in the stock factory configuration. O2's, egr, ect.
Most likely what is going on is your readiness monitors are not completing allowing your ecu to communicate and take the odb test.

Last edited:

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
You might want to think about a retune regardless because stalling on idle coasting isn’t normal.

03' White Snake

Established Member
All above is correct. Get the car retuned using the X4. The quote of $700 sounds like they are selling you an X4 with the tune. Should be cheaper than that. New tunes are usually in the $400-500 range (at least around me). Retunes/ adjustments are $150-300.

If the car was tuned with the X4 already, it is very easy to switch between stock tune and the custom tune. The stock tune is stored in the X4.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Register the car in a state that has no emissions? I live in Montana, have a permanent registration and zero inspections or emissions. I don’t think we are the only state that does that

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
If you got the route of splashing a stock calibration on it without any custom tweaking for the mods, keep your foot out of it.

HPLouis

Established Member
NY just passed a bill for exhaust. If it's louder than stock, they can ticket you and the car won't pass the annual state inspection. I guess all my cars are going back to stock. It was fun while it lasted.

JWExperience

Established Member
Thanks for the replies everyone, I’ll get back in touch with a tuner and get that hashed out. I currently have a off road x and magnaflow cat back. I have a magnaflow catted x pipe that I haven’t installed and the tuner recommended I throw that on so I have cats for emissions. He seemed to think that most shops will look for cats and it will pass with the stock tune. Thanks again.

44shelby

Established Member
Houston Performance is no longer in business. I would put the catted mid pipe on the car and find a stock air box and flash the car back to the factory tune... it will pass that way and then you can figure out a plan of attack. IF YOU DO THIS DONT RACE THE CAR AROUND. Just cruise it to the inspection place and cruise it home. NO WIDE OPEN THROTTLE!

Dave.O

Established Member
Houston performance is now heideman racing dynamics (hrd) off jones rd in nw Houston
832-604-6381

This who tunes my svt’s

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
have you verified what's meant by "not able to communicate" ? I have a hard time with that. I could see certain monitors not being ready/available but not failing to communicate. The only thing I could think of for that would be the fuse for the OBD2 port was popped so now power.

anywho, sounds like you need a new tune either way with dashpot on decel adjustments or similar

JWExperience

Established Member
Houston performance is now heideman racing dynamics (hrd) off jones rd in nw Houston
832-604-6381

This who tunes my svt’s

Thanks for the info on Houston performance, I think I heideman was who I called because I found both names either on their website or Facebook if I recall.
Do they use a x4 or flash the ecu?

I believe certain o2 sensors may be turned off and that’s why they won’t the nys emissions computer won’t communicate with the car. It passed otherwise.

Dave.O

Established Member
Mine were done with sct, don’t recall which model

I didn’t think turning off the rear o2s would fail inspection…. I’m originally from ny and never had my cobra fail for that…. But I also move to tx in 2012 so maybe that’s a newer inspection item

JWExperience

Established Member
Mine were done with sct, don’t recall which model

I didn’t think turning off the rear o2s would fail inspection…. I’m originally from ny and never had my cobra fail for that…. But I also move to tx in 2012 so maybe that’s a newer inspection item

It’s a race here to keep up with Cali so I think they changed something a few years ago with emissions.

I left a message with a local tuner to get another quote, the first quote was an hour and change away in Rochester.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Register the car in a state that has no emissions? I live in Montana, have a permanent registration and zero inspections or emissions. I don’t think we are the only state that does that

It’s really not that easy to just register cars in other states you don’t reside in

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Hopefully the cattted midpipe will work. Once the rear 02's are turned back on your catted midpipe has to remove enough contaminates from the exhaust for the rear 02's to pass the readiness test. So in other words the rear 02's have to be turned on, and if the are on you need cats on there so no check engine light. It can be a problem with high flow midpipes. I went through this in Ohio. Had a custom tune with high flow chatted midpipe and 02's turned off for years. Roller test, odb test, never a problem. Then all of a sudden they changed the test and bam I had a huge problem. Went back to stock, luckily passed with my hi flow catted x on the car, then immediately got collector plates lol. Now no more emissions test. Keep us posted.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Hopefully the cattted midpipe will work. Once the rear 02's are turned back on your catted midpipe has to remove enough contaminates from the exhaust for the rear 02's to pass the readiness test. So in other words the rear 02's have to be turned on, and if the are on you need cats on there so no check engine light. It can be a problem with high flow midpipes. I went through this in Ohio. Had a custom tune with high flow chatted midpipe and 02's turned off for years. Roller test, odb test, never a problem. Then all of a sudden they changed the test and bam I had a huge problem. Went back to stock, luckily passed with my hi flow catted x on the car, then immediately got collector plates lol. Now no more emissions test. Keep us posted.
20 years old for those plates? If so, same here.

Users who are viewing this thread