Tune & warranty question

shelbysvt

Established Member
Hope you're not a law student. This one would get bounced right back to you with little or no comment, because it would require too much ink.

So far, so good, you appear to be proficient with a search engine...

Kind of a long leap, but you landed in the right spot, so let's continue...

Ok, we just went WAY off course. You've just made a judgment that "we" followed the rules and "they" denied coverage... Hardly "breach". You've got a disputed issue around a warranty claim which is well within the contract. The seat argument is kind of an absurdity--but it certainly isn't "fraud".

Bad form. First, just because you think it, doesn't make it fact, or that "we all know it". Quite the contrary.

See, you've even acknowledged that the people who built the car can make a legitimate (albeit somewhat strained) claim that your actions contributed to the defect, thereby releasing them from their warranty obligation. Hardly "fraud".

I see flawed logic at best.

Well then my logic is flawed. I was impressed by this breakdown though lol. Anyways must get back to work!

shelbysvt

Established Member
I can see this going to smack-down....:beer:

For what reason? I have no issue with either of these 2. I actually like how Husky broke down everything I said and logically talked it out rather than Chris who just throws insults but regardless it really doesn't matter to me.

As I said then my logic was flawed. It really doesn't matter at all. By next year my car is sold for a different one.

Last edited:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
For what reason? I have no issue with either of these 2. I actually like how Husky broke down everything I said and logically talked it out rather than Chris who just throws insults but regardless it really doesn't matter to me.

As I said then my logic was flawed. It really doesn't matter at all. By next year my car is sold for a different one.

Then don't just throw random crap out there and hope it sticks. Especially when it's wrong. Let's stick to facts, and I think you won't get crapped on.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
In order to go to smack down this thread would have to graduate beyond the pattycake phase.

IIRC, there'd be an issue with the PATS system if you tried to swap back and forth between one PCM and another.

SirJAG

Established Member
soooo....does anyone have any proof that a computer swap could be detected by the dealership? i asked the service manager this question today for the hell of it, (good friends) and he said he thinks it would work as long as you drove through reflash codes that popped up afterwards, assuming you could do that (about 50miles)... but he would ask someone with more info and get back to me...

jag

Myfast70

Established Member
My intent was not to commit "Fraud" as I have no intentions of modding my car at this point and until the warranty is up for that matter. I have seen way too many people bring their car in for one issue not even remotely related to the tune and get denied for warranty coverage. I have a buddy that's a tech at a Ford dealership and he said the first thing they do is plug in their computer to see if the car has been altered, if it was, no coverage. With him being a buddy, coverage wouldn't be an issue for me.

I would like to do a gear swap in the future but the only way to change the computer is to install a "tune" which will void your warranty should you ever have an engine issues. I don't like the idea of having to "tune" my car (even though I think they just change the ratio?) just to do a simple hear swap, so like I mentioned my car will remain stock.

I know Van has mentioned something about the Lund tunes and disabling the cat temp protection. Well when you read the Ford catalog they specifically state that is the worst thing to do. As smart as John Lund with his tuning he cannot replicate the scenarios that are done by Ford. I saw this link posted below in another thread and it does make a lot of sense to me. Until for comes up with a "tune" for my car, I will be holding off.

Ford Racing Catalogue Web

I have now seen 3 Lund "tunes" first hand in person here in Az that do not work correctly because of our climate and conditions that only Ford can replicate. Now if Lund was personally out here with his laptop and ass parked in the passenger seat then I would be a lot more accepting of his "tune".

Last edited:

RedNightmare06

Established Member
I mentioned this before but will again.
You can buy a diablo trinty pull your stock tune and just modify for a gear change using your own stock tune and put it back in your car. This can be done by you don't need a shop or tuner to do this.

As for climate a good tuner could send you an email tune and be dead on.
Ford does it and others can it is just dealing with the correct people.
Rememeber these are Maf setups, climate weather etc shouldn't matter.
The trick is finding a tuner that really understands the system and sets up the transfer curve the same way Ford does it.
I would think I could tune my car in Nj and drive it to AZ and it would still run as good.
Ford doesn't tune these cars any different for the state you live in.

Last edited:

Derek5774

Established Member
I bet someone from Ford reads these forums probably eating popcorn and laughing.
sayin," Oh you think you're sneaky but I know."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
The dealer I'd take my car to for an issue told me that is I unloaded the tune that he'd not have a problem servicing the car under warranty. Only if the issue was an obvious engine burn up from A/F issues or obviously from a bad tune would he have an issue, otherwise, no biggy. Now, I'd not like to test that. I once had a dealership try to void my warranty because they found timeslips in the center console. I lost my mind, why were they going thry my car in the 1st place, oh, and the slips were in the 10.20's and my car had 1,000 mis on it and bone stock barely able to hit a 12 sec ET. THe slips were from my Ninja at the track. A-holes. It's all about the dealer / service manager and the regional SVT rep if you get into a battle, it's all a risk.

I too would like to swap a 3.73 and maintain the warranty, seems like you could buy FRPP gears & install at dealer with the computer updating for the gears & not void a warranty, but I guess that's too much to ask.

Myfast70

Established Member
It says in the owners manual for a Ford Super Duty diesel that if the tune is changed and brought back to stock that Ford has the ability to see that this has been done.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
I think someone earlier changed to 3.73 gears on a '13, and used a New SCT Tuner to change the speedo only, no tune change. It may have been through Van, worth checking.
Will that void the warranty??? Seems like it shouldn't, especially if the gears are Dealer installed.....

mullens

Established Member
This seems very simple to me. You play you pay. It's a matter of integrity. At the end of the day that's all you have.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
This seems very simple to me. You play you pay. It's a matter of integrity. At the end of the day that's all you have.

"I only have two things in this world, my word and my balls....and I don't break them for nobody"

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
As for climate a good tuner could send you an email tune and be dead on.

And just as often a "good" tuner can send you a tune that will have you pulling your hair out. My personal experience with canned tunes running perfectly here in Arizona is one out of four so far. With that track record, I have no interest in anything but a local tune with someone data-logging drivability issues on my own vehicle.

A friend of mine here in AZ with a new '13 GT500 (Farmboy) already tried the Lund mail-order tune and he had to get it fixed immediately by someone else after going back and forth about what wasn't working properly. Not saying that Lund hasn't been successful with other cars as it's clear that he has. But for me, there's not a chance I'm randomly plugging in an altered computer to a $27K engine when the number of mail-order tune problems that have been posted on this forum are as plentiful as they are. :nonono:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
If you purchase ford parts and they are installed by a ford dealer they will not void your warranty.

The dealer I'd take my car to for an issue told me that is I unloaded the tune that he'd not have a problem servicing the car under warranty. Only if the issue was an obvious engine burn up from A/F issues or obviously from a bad tune would he have an issue, otherwise, no biggy. Now, I'd not like to test that. I once had a dealership try to void my warranty because they found timeslips in the center console. I lost my mind, why were they going thry my car in the 1st place, oh, and the slips were in the 10.20's and my car had 1,000 mis on it and bone stock barely able to hit a 12 sec ET. THe slips were from my Ninja at the track. A-holes. It's all about the dealer / service manager and the regional SVT rep if you get into a battle, it's all a risk.

I too would like to swap a 3.73 and maintain the warranty, seems like you could buy FRPP gears & install at dealer with the computer updating for the gears & not void a warranty, but I guess that's too much to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread