Tune & warranty question

Myfast70

Established Member
Would it be possible to purchase a second computer for the car and load the modified tune on that new computer? My thoughts would be to keep the stock computer stock and never touch the tune and then purchase a second computer to use for installing a tune to support whatever mods one may choose to do. I have no intentions of adding any mods as I think I will just keep my car stock for now.

I see a lot of people worried about having a tune in the car when taking it in for any type of warranty type work. This would eliminate that worry. Tousley has the stock computers (all three types) listed for $422 plus $100 core charge. Just seems like an easy swap to do but never seen anyone mention it.

Thoughts :shrug:

ryan319

Established Member
mod and accept the potential, but unlikely, consequences that you'll have a major failure. or stay stock until your warranty runs out. but don't try to cheat the system to make ford, and everyone that buys a new ford, pay for it.

RedNightmare06

Established Member
mod and accept the potential, but unlikely, consequences that you'll have a major failure. or stay stock until your warranty runs out. but don't try to cheat the system to make ford, and everyone that buys a new ford, pay for it.

+1

Couldn't have said that any better.

shelbysvt

Established Member
Isn't that a form of fraud?

Yes it is. But it is also a form of fraud when the dealership refuses warranty work on a part that failed and had nothing to do with the mods put on but they blame it on the mods anyways. The latter is way more common and happens every day.

Though not many have the resources nor time to fight ford about it.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Yes it is. But it is also a form of fraud when the dealership refuses warranty work on a part that failed and had nothing to do with the mods put on but they blame it on the mods anyways. The latter is way more common and happens every day.

That's not fraud.

That's denial of coverage. Take it to a different dealer.

Why am I not surprised that you would be the one to say this?

Husky44

Established Member

Setting aside for a moment the point that you're factually incorrect on your definition of fraud:

Does it make it ok to actively commit fraud because one perceives (incorrectly, in this case) that the other party might potentially commit fraud?

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Setting aside for a moment the point that you're factually incorrect on your definition of fraud:

Does it make it ok to actively commit fraud because one perceives (incorrectly, in this case) that the other party might potentially commit fraud?

All of this.

lethal

Established Member
Let's say for argument sake, you did buy and swap a computer. Also, let's say you did make a mistake and swap the tune out, it was too aggressive and did damage. Would you still be inclined to swap out the computer and attempt a warranty claim?

I have to side with if I broke it, I pay for it. I have modded my cars, with the known fact my warranty was at risk. IF damage was done and the dealership didn't want to validate my claim, its my problem -- not theirs.

John

shelbysvt

Established Member
That's not fraud.

That's denial of coverage. Take it to a different dealer.

Why am I not surprised that you would be the one to say this?

Nope I had a gear whine issue that went all the way to the regional manager of the east coast for Ford and they blamed my ford racing springs for it. But thats ok my own mechanic fixed it.

Definition of fraud: In criminal law, fraud is intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual; the related adjective is fraudulent, and verb is defraud. Fraud is a crime and a civil law violation, though the specific criminal law definition varies by legal jurisdiction. Defrauding people or entities of money or valuables is a common purpose of fraud. A hoax also involves deception, but without the intention of gain or of damaging or depriving the victim. Fraud is a defense in a civil action for breach of contract or specific performance of a contract. Fraud is a basis for equitable jurisdiction.

So lets analyze this definition. The guy asked if buying a different computer and when the motor blows from a tune, to swap that other computer so that it appears the car is stock. Well this is intentional deception made for personal gain so that is fraud.

Now lets look at the last part where it says breach of contract or performance of a contract. When we buy ford cars or any brand we get put into a binding contract with rules. If we follow the rules and they deny use coverage that is also a form of fraud because that is a breach of contract. For example if my seats wear out and because I have a different blower on my car they deny warranty well then that is fraud.

But here is where the issue gets grey and causes problems. When say we have a part like my issue with my springs, could they cause the gear whine? We all know the answer is no. But ford will say that I changed the geometry of my car and that was not its intended purpose which then causes a negative effect and uses that excuse to breach my contract with them. That is why the other law was passed to keep dealerships and corporations from doing this to the customer. But again it is a grey area because could I fight them? Yes. Could I win? Probably. In this case. But to what end? How much money is it going to cost me to get them to give me new gears and fix the rear end? More than the 300 dollars I paid to fix it myself.

This is why many dealerships play games because the costs usually out weight the benefits and they know that. Ford and every other corporation knows this. Now unless your motor blows up and they try to blame your springs that is a different story but that rarely happens.

Now since you love aruging with everyone on this forum who disagrees with you, if you don't see the logic and the path I laid out for you in this post, well then I'll say it right now you are right, I am wrong, and I don't care to fight with you over it and let it drag on for 10 pages on the forum.

Last edited:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
If you knew anything about rear differentials you'd know that when you lower a car and don't change the pinion angle- it can hurt the differential.

I'm not saying you didn't have an actual issue. I'm sure you did. And I also think its a ticky tack call on that dealer's part. But it's still, not fraud.

You've proven on this forum and other forums your lack of knowledge on this car. Way to go proving it again!

Edit: didn't you get banner from the other forum for the same kind of pandering? Yep! Gotta love it

Last edited:

shelbysvt

Established Member
If you knew anything about rear differentials you'd know that when you lower a car and don't change the pinion angle- it can hurt the differential.

I'm not saying you didn't have an actual issue. I'm sure you did. And I also think its a ticky tack call on that dealer's part. But it's still, not fraud.

You've proven on this forum and other forums your lack of knowledge on this car. Way to go proving it again!

Edit: didn't you get banner from the other forum for the same kind of pandering? Yep! Gotta love it

Well I did change it with the BMW UCA along with the whole BMW/Bobs suspension. But then we would get into the poly bushing letting in more noise debate but actually the gear whine was the same before and after. And I got banned from team shelby because I didn't say nice things to Jer actually if you must know. And after what they did to Jay, well I really went off on Jer and I no longer will buy anything from shelby ever again.

But your right, I just drive the car and know nothing about it for the last year. Don't worry when my build is done there will be a thread on it and you will see how "little" I know about the car given all I've done to it now.

Last edited:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
gy7epa6y.jpg

You modded your car. You modded a part that COULD effect your differential. Your differential developed a problem. That problem COULD be attributed to your modification. If you didn't mod your car, and the differential issue happened- I'd say shame on the dealer. But I, nor would anyone else call it fraudulent. Yet you want to come here and say that your dealer and Ford is committing fraud against you? You really are worse that I even thought.

Listen closely- that's not fraud. Fraud is swapping your ecu to avoid voiding your warranty. And you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

shelbysvt

Established Member
gy7epa6y.jpg

You modded your car. You modded a part that COULD effect your differential. Your differential developed a problem. That problem COULD be attributed to your modification. If you didn't mod your car, and the differential issue happened- I'd say shame on the dealer. But I, nor would anyone else call it fraudulent. Yet you want to come here and say that your dealer and Ford is committing fraud against you? You really are worse that I even thought.

Listen closely- that's not fraud. Fraud is swapping your ecu to avoid voiding your warranty. And you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Noooooooooooooooo you hear but you don't listen. I had gear whine from DAY 1!!!. I was just dumb and then did the FRPP springs and BMR suspension before I took the car in to get fixed because I was naive and didn't think they would mess with me. But they did so lesson learned.

Anyways we are so off track now and I said I wouldn't fight with you. Carry on with the tune discussion. Probably Van should chime in here on why this strategy doesn't work for the OP to learn. I'm curious too as to why a new computer would not work since this has been asked a few times before.

Husky44

Established Member
Hope you're not a law student. This one would get bounced right back to you with little or no comment, because it would require too much ink.

Definition of fraud: In criminal law, fraud is intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual; the related adjective is fraudulent, and verb is defraud. Fraud is a crime and a civil law violation, though the specific criminal law definition varies by legal jurisdiction. Defrauding people or entities of money or valuables is a common purpose of fraud. A hoax also involves deception, but without the intention of gain or of damaging or depriving the victim. Fraud is a defense in a civil action for breach of contract or specific performance of a contract. Fraud is a basis for equitable jurisdiction.

So far, so good, you appear to be proficient with a search engine...

So lets analyze this definition. The guy asked if buying a different computer and when the motor blows from a tune, to swap that other computer so that it appears the car is stock. Well this is intentional deception made for personal gain so that is fraud.

Kind of a long leap, but you landed in the right spot, so let's continue...

Now lets look at the last part where it says breach of contract or performance of a contract. When we buy ford cars or any brand we get put into a binding contract with rules. If we follow the rules and they deny use coverage that is also a form of fraud because that is a breach of contract. For example if my seats wear out and because I have a different blower on my car they deny warranty well then that is fraud.

Ok, we just went WAY off course. You've just made a judgment that "we" followed the rules and "they" denied coverage... Hardly "breach". You've got a disputed issue around a warranty claim which is well within the contract. The seat argument is kind of an absurdity--but it certainly isn't "fraud".

But here is where the issue gets grey and causes problems. When say we have a part like my issue with my springs, could they cause the gear whine? We all know the answer is no.

Bad form. First, just because you think it, doesn't make it fact, or that "we all know it". Quite the contrary.

But ford will say that I changed the geometry of my car and that was not its intended purpose which then causes a negative effect and uses that excuse to breach my contract with them.

See, you've even acknowledged that the people who built the car can make a legitimate (albeit somewhat strained) claim that your actions contributed to the defect, thereby releasing them from their warranty obligation. Hardly "fraud".

... if you don't see the logic and the path I laid out for you in this post

I see flawed logic at best.

Users who are viewing this thread