Trying to go return system - please help

MalcolmV8

Established Member
OK I've been looking into PTFE fuel hose. I noticed not all manufactures offer similar stuff so you really have to look it over. Either you can't get the sizes you want, it's not available in all black, not all fittings exist etc. Lots to look into.
There was a lot to remember so I started making a chart. Here it is.

cobra-fuel-hose.png

Starting on the left the Tech AFX was initially the only one I found that had all black (fittings and hose), has -10 and -8, and all fittings I need. Only downside is the price. Thousand dollars for some fuel line. Seems a little ridiculous.

Next in line was Pegasus. It's much more flexible, easier to install (no feral), but fittings were not all black. They're black with a silver nut. I called Pegasus and turns out it's Goodridge hose they're re-branding and selling. I called Goodridge a few times to see if there's an all black option but never did get a hold of anyone. Price came up about the same as Tech AFX.

Aeroquip is missing -10, and some fittings. Plumbingmonkey.com is missing some stuff too.

I started searching google and hit some forums where some guys recommended anfittingsdirect and was amazed at their selection and prices. They have all black PTFE hose, -10 and -8, all black fittings and all the fittings I need. Look at their prices too. Wow. A lot more reasonable for what you get. I think I've found the winner. Like anything I'll try and research their product some more and make sure it's not total garbage but I think it should be fine. I've purchased discount red/blue -AN fittings and hose in the past for other projects and couldn't tell a difference from the high dollar ones and never had a problem.

Blueline

Established Member
Don't use anfittings.com!! It's Chinese garbage and after fighting with them I had to eat the shipping costs back to them. It's garbage and their "ptfe" coating looks like the line for you ice maker for your fridge. Their -8 looked half the size of the normal -8.

I can't say enough positive about my pegasus hose. Easy to work with and no smell!

Blueline

Established Member
Also anfittings.coms so called black stainless hose is cheap spray painted the rubs off so easily. I was going to make a thread about their product and crap customer service but didn't know if violated any forum rules. I went to pm jimmy and forgot all about it. Please take my advice and don't use them

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Don't use anfittings.com!! It's Chinese garbage and after fighting with them I had to eat the shipping costs back to them. It's garbage and their "ptfe" coating looks like the line for you ice maker for your fridge. Their -8 looked half the size of the normal -8.

I can't say enough positive about my pegasus hose. Easy to work with and no smell!

Also anfittings.coms so called black stainless hose is cheap spray painted the rubs off so easily. I was going to make a thread about their product and crap customer service but didn't know if violated any forum rules. I went to pm jimmy and forgot all about it. Please take my advice and don't use them

Thanks for the heads up man. Sounds like it's garbage. That's to bad.
Do you mind posting up pics of your Pegasus setup? I'd love to see it installed on your car.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I guess I got lucky , my fragola line doesn't stink up the garage. We have 10% ethanol here in ct....maybe that's the difference.

Blueline

Established Member
Jay we have 10% Ethanol here too. My garage would smell like I had fuel spilled on the ground. It was horrible. I def. had no leaks either. After spending so much money and time putting it in perfect, it sucked having to rip it all out. And then spending more money to buy what I should have purchased from the begining. Never again. My Pegasus hose looks awesome and performs even better :rockon:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I got the Pegasus fuel line and hose ends installed a week ago. Happy to report it completely cured the fuel smell. This hose has no smell at all. Expensive but it's worked out.

This hose is a little harder to work with, have to be careful cutting it and make sure no frayed ends. Also have to be careful bending it. It's made up of a corrugated spiral type plastic and bend to hard and it will kink. The wall thickness is much thinner than most rubber hoses so it fits in tighter spaces much easier. I wish it was more black and less grey but it's not to bad. Overall I'm happy with it.

IMAG1210_resized.jpg

IMAG1212_resized.jpg

IMAG1211_resized.jpg

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Looks good bud, isn't it nice to walk into the garage the next day and not have any fuel smell!

Oh the difference is phenomenal. Not just next day but with the rubber hose it was within seconds of priming the fuel system and then it lasted for days on end.

Jpjr

Established Member
I've been struggling with massive fuel weep via the Fragola lines since I installed the Lethal return setup in 2010. I can't wait to change out the lines. May try the Pegasus front and back but will be running stainless hard line under the car. If I'm going to rip out the Fragola I figure I might as well go all out.

Also, I'd like to say I have the non Y-block setup with the crossover line from rail to rail on the radiator side of the motor. I can report to all of you that it works perfectly fine with my Whipple setup. You are not sacrificing anything. Your pumps are still pumping the same amount of LPH, this is simply a more efficient setup that frankly is much simpler than some of the other setups detailed in this thread.

Also, if I run Pegasus or Aeroquip stainless I plan on running black nylon loom regardless that should protect it and make it look stock. That matters in my neck of the woods :)

MalcolmV8

Established Member
That fuel smell is horrid. I don't know how you've been getting by with it. You'll love a teflon hose. Zero smell.

nooner

Established Member
Just got my car back with the new engine and Lethal's return style fuel system. I have the same fragola fuel lines and my garage smells badly like gas as well. The smell is even getting in to the house. Glad I quit smoking even though they say its not flamable. The smell isn't as bad as when I had a fuel leak, but its still pretty bad.

OP, were you ever able to work out a deal with Lethal on an alternative fuel line?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Just got my car back with the new engine and Lethal's return style fuel system. I have the same fragola fuel lines and my garage smells badly like gas as well. The smell is even getting in to the house. Glad I quit smoking even though they say its not flamable. The smell isn't as bad as when I had a fuel leak, but its still pretty bad.

Bummer man. That sucks. I had the same problem and it really blows.

OP, were you ever able to work out a deal with Lethal on an alternative fuel line?

HA! What you need is a Teflon hose not a rubber hose. Lethal does not sell Teflon hose. I was really pissed because before I knew what all these issues were caused by I called Lethal and specifically asked about the fuel smell and they assured me the Fragola hose would have no smell. If you do it's leaking the say. Well when I had the problem I called back countless times and suddenly Jared doesn't remember ever telling me that and they still stood by it has no smell. However call any of the rubber hose manufactures and they will confirm the fuel smell if you have ethanol and additives mixed in your fuel from you local gas company.
I had to keep at them for weeks and I did finally get a partial refund but they lost a customer. I've spent thousands and thousands there over the years and now what over a couple hundred dollars of fuel hose? I will never buy anything from them ever again.
I hope you have better luck.

Last edited:

Blueline

Established Member
I agree Malcolm. When I spoke to lethal about the the hose and it weeping, They assured me it does not smell. After spending all the money and it causing the smell, I contacted them. Same thing, they told me it doesn't smell for them and there's nothing they can do. I asked for at least a credit or partial credit and they said there's nothing they can do. I spent prob about 5k with them in the past year, I was not satisfied after that dealing. Matt has taken care of me before the fuel line issue and I used to always go directly to their site to order anything I needed. Now, not so much. :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

black 10th vert

Established Member
That is funny because they also assured me of the same thing, because I told them that I loved the look of the black braid, but could not live with the fuel smell, and they said it was a non-issue with this hose! I only have a total of maybe 3-4' in my engine bay, and fortunately it hasn't had any weeping at all (that I have noticed anyway). I will definitely be using teflon, and hard line for the rest of the long runs though. I'm just glad I don't have to re-do the engine bay at least because I'd be really pissed if I had to scrap all of those fittings, which add up to decent chunk of change by themselves - not even counting the hose!

Blueline

Established Member
Your not kidding Brian. It sucks when you take your time installing something because you want it perfect and figure it's never going to come out again, only to rip it all out a week later. I was def. not a happy person / customer that day.

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I thought it would be best to send everyone a general reply in regards to the Fragola Fuel Hose we sell in our fuel systems. This is the same product we've been selling in hundreds of fuel systems over the last 3-4 years, this is also the same product we use on all of our own personal shop cars. Judging from our personal experience from what we have installed on our shop cars we do not have any issues when it comes to vapor weeping from the hose itself. The one known issue we have is on Jared's personal 03' Cobra. When he installed his fuel hat several years ago it did not have the return port designed into the hat so he had to drill a bulkhead fitting into the tank. So when that car is in enclosed areas we do notice some fuel smell but we assume it is from there. Now this is not to say that some of you do not have this issue because Fragola does admit to it. The reason being the fuel line does not have any internal Teflon barrier. The amount of Ethanol contained in the fuel should not be a deciding factor as to whether the hose will actually weep or not. From my conversation with Fragola they have customers running E85 as well as straight Alcohol with the product and do not have any problems spanning over several years of continued use.

The biggest thing is we also have to assume installation was done properly, as there are a few things that can go wrong. If any of the barbed fittings were not pressed on completely or if any of the fuel hose was reamed out during installation. If it was reamed out past the tolerances of the hose it will emit vapor past the barbs on the fitting to cause a fuel smell. A simple yet normal issue is just making sure all of the fittings are tightened properly. There have been several occurrences where cars have been taken to the same shop that does our work, Power By the Hour, just to find a loose fitting causing the issue. Once the fittings were either replaced or tightened, the smell went away. If everything is installed properly and the hose is emitting vapor, then the only appropriate way to avoid any situation like this was stated above. A PTFE Fuel Hose which is Teflon based hose will not emit any vapor.

Now it's hard for me to comment on any situation that was months ago without actually knowing who talked to whom. I've expressed to everyone here at the office that they should not be telling people that anything is assured, let alone the fuel hose issue. If that is what you were told I sincerely apologize and would hope we can make the situation correct. However taking back product that has been installed, let alone used for months at a time is just something we do not normally do. I am currently working with Fragola to see if they have a PTFE hose that we can offer as an option for our fuel systems. Everyone above that has had an issue can contact me directly to see if we can come to an agreement. We have always supported SVTPerformance and we owe it to our customers who made us what we are today, but there are limitations to what can be done.

Hopefully this will help shed some light on the subject and we can help make all of the involved parties happy.

Sincerely,
Matt

nooner

Established Member
Thanks, Matt. I'll bring this up with my mechanic since I purchased the Lethal Performance return style fuel system through them and they installed it. I only just got my car back last week. This has been a problem from day one. I'm just running 93 octane pump gas which has "up to 10% alcohol" in it. I'll talk with them to see how they want to handle this then we'll give you a call probably next week. Thanks again! :)

Last edited:

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
i read through this as i am just finishing up my return system. i saw that anfittingdirect was not recommended, but alas i just finished my entire system with it.

it seems like it was the best bet since i am running E85? and i didnt have a problem with the quality of the line. It was actually recommended to me by a guy that has built several older muscle cars with this line, very nice cars too. i thought the plastic was strong enough on the inside, i was just afraid to go with anything rubber, does anyone have anything GOOD to say about anfittingsdirect? has anyone been using it with no problems?

Blueline

Established Member
i read through this as i am just finishing up my return system. i saw that anfittingdirect was not recommended, but alas i just finished my entire system with it.

it seems like it was the best bet since i am running E85? and i didnt have a problem with the quality of the line. It was actually recommended to me by a guy that has built several older muscle cars with this line, very nice cars too. i thought the plastic was strong enough on the inside, i was just afraid to go with anything rubber, does anyone have anything GOOD to say about anfittingsdirect? has anyone been using it with no problems?

Compared to my Pegasus line, the line from anfittings was sub par. I compared the fragola -8 to anfittings -8 and the fragola had a much bigger and true -8 I.D. The anfittings I.D. Was much smaller and their ptfe coating was also much thinner than the one in the Pegasus line. I can only speak from my experience with them, I was not happy with their product or their customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread