Truly impressed at the insane prices people want for used cars out there on Marketplace

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Checking on previous years, 06 Premium GT's with options were around mid 30's. Not saying you didnt get your's for under 30k, just saying these were the prices before the deals/rebates set it which for the most part are non-existent nowadays or not as good.

Going back to 1990 vs 2006, 16 years later, thats practically a 80-90% increase. Going back 2006 to now 2023, 17 years later, also about 90% increase. Sounds about right.
I get what you're saying but wages didn't increase 90% in that same timeframe which is where the problem lies.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I get what you're saying but wages didn't increase 90% in that same timeframe which is where the problem lies.
It didn't increase 90% in either timeframe. Believe or not though, min wage actually increased more in the past 10 years than it did between 20- 30 years ago.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Here's an interesting one:

Would look a lot better with some 18" Cobra wheels and a slight drop.

Was in a couple magazines back in 04/05 when it was first built. Made a hair over 600 back then but ran out of fuel. How do you put that much money into a car and not finish it 100%...

Started as a Roush, added a built motor, D1SC, T56 swap, etc

Guy claims it runs okay when it warms up but idles bad when cold due to being switched to a BOV and fuel pumps being recently replaced. Not the original owner of course.

For $20k you'd really want a turnkey car. One problem is it's on the other side of lake Michigan. You'd almost want to have it taken straight to a shop that can re-tune it.

Negatives would be it's a nearly 20 year old build. Who knows what you're getting? What needs replaced? Then again all of our Cobras are 20 years old if they have the original drivetrain :D It's only 8.5:1 (again, so is a Cobra) but it should be able to do 700+ at the tire on E85 on 20psi. Assuming it's not choked up by the P51 intake. And that the RPM range of the cams match up.

Do you want to risk getting into a project like that? It could be a nice car. Or a nightmare. But how much better are a lot of those components today compared to back then. What kind of weird one-off things are you going to run into. "They don't make this anymore..." etc etc
Hard pass. Maybe for half the money. The "runs ok warm but bad blah blah blah" screams hurt motor or someone who is absolutely guessing at everything.

robvas

Established Member
Hard pass. Maybe for half the money. The "runs ok warm but bad blah blah blah" screams hurt motor or someone who is absolutely guessing at everything.

It would definitely need a good inspection and at the very least a compression check

helloWorld

Established Member
I have been looking for a nice toy to replace my V, but I am not interested in paying what people are asking for nowadays. I am glad I paid that car off back in 2019.

I was also able to purchase a 2006 Toyota Prius from a friend, private sale, 260,000 miles, check engine light (cat), $3,000, still gets over 42 mpg hand calculated without even trying, and multiple people have told me that the interior looks great for a 17 year old car.

andymarkv

Established Member
Checking on previous years, 06 Premium GT's with options were around mid 30's. Not saying you didnt get your's for under 30k, just saying these were the prices before the deals/rebates set it which for the most part are non-existent nowadays or not as good.
Crazy, my '07 GT500 was just $10K more with MSRP of $45K... I got lucky and bought it used in '09 with 2000 miles for $35K after the original owner swallowed the ADM.
Deals are ALWAYS out there...but you have to look super hard to find them. As always, timing is everything. (I still see deals on FB & CL...but they're gone in minutes)

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
…Deals are ALWAYS out there...but you have to look super hard to find them. As always, timing is everything. (I still see deals on FB & CL...but they're gone in minutes)

This is fact. You have to be obsessed with searching. Have to get lucky to find something posted. Have to be immediately available to go look. Finally, have to have the funds on site and be ready to pull the trigger.

Unless you know someone, or convince somebody to sell something, it’s like piranhas to meat out here trying to find a deal on a fun vehicle.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I was also able to purchase a 2006 Toyota Prius from a friend, private sale, 260,000 miles, check engine light (cat), $3,000, still gets over 42 mpg hand calculated without even trying, and multiple people have told me that the interior looks great for a 17 year old car.

hyungwon-meme.gif

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Another dealer local to me has a 20 ecoboost mustang listed for 27,000. It has 37,000 miles. Original window sticker was 28,860. yes, four model year's worth of depreciation is only 1860. Granted, that's an asking price without negotiation, but you figure the most you might get them to drop is maybe 2k? Oh, and the previous owner painted some interior trim bright race red, plus a couple of red vinyl slashes on top of the front fenders.

So, it appears, if there aren't many used mustangs on a lot, they are going to ask an arm and a leg for it.

Balt21

Established Member
Part of the problem, especially on enthusiast vehicles, is how much the new vehicle MSRPs went up in such a short amount of time. Add on ADMs and it a whole other story. Just look at something like the Bronco Raptor - for a 2022 it started at $68,500 and a 2024 now starts at $89,835. Doing a nationwide search on Autotrader, the cheapest (new or used) is $79,988 for a 2022 with 11K miles on it.

From the seller's perspective, regardless of what the MSRP of the one that is $79,988 originally was, they can still say they're $10K less than going to buy a new one. This would make sense that a 2 year old vehicle is $10K less than a new version; the problem is that prior to the past few years new vehicle MSRPs typically didn't increase $20K in two years.

Take that mentality plus people thinking they can still sell used vehicles for new prices easily like they could 2 years ago because of low inventory and here we are.

tistan

Established Member
Buddy has a 21’ Mach1 with 4600 miles on it.

No idea what fair or good pricing is

View attachment 1818870

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
What does everyone think of the values of the Mach 1? I see they are dropping significantly to the mid to high $40s now. It's nice that it comes with a tremec. I felt they were way overpriced new for what they were. I'm thinking about picking one up and adding a procharger, but I also think the price of used cars is about drop significantly.

robvas

Established Member
What does everyone think of the values of the Mach 1? I see they are dropping significantly to the mid to high $40s now. It's nice that it comes with a tremec. I felt they were way overpriced new for what they were. I'm thinking about picking one up and adding a procharger, but I also think the price of used cars is about drop significantly.
They were discounting 2023's that were still on the lots this summer by like 5-6k

If I was in the market for a car payment I would have picked one up.

MG0h3

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread