Truly impressed at the insane prices people want for used cars out there on Marketplace

ATX5.0

Established Member
Asking prices are still way out of hand. You just have to get a little lucky, ask me how I know.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I want a Mach 1 and I have been waiting since I sold the Shelby in summer 2021. I'm not paying $60K for a used car that MSRP'd for that same price 2 years ago. Not to mention $60K for a Mustang that has the same motor as a GT is insane (but I want to pair the Tremec with the 5.0!). I'm crazy, but I'm not stupid. LOL Stopped at my local Ford dealer to see the 2024 Mustang in person. Saw a Darkhorse with an MSRP of $64k. WTF?!?!?!?! That's some serious money for a Mustang that runs 12's. What in the world is happening?!?!?!?!?!?!

But to the OP's point, people are asking crazy money for cars and other goods right now. I wonder what the difference is between asking price and actual sale price. I saw a Mach 1 on Autotrader that was for sale for $58K but the KBB on the same exact page showed that the retail value was $52K. Obviously KBB isn't always accurate, but that's $6K difference.

MG0h3

Established Member
I want a Mach 1 and I have been waiting since I sold the Shelby in summer 2021. I'm not paying $60K for a used car that MSRP'd for that same price 2 years ago. Not to mention $60K for a Mustang that has the same motor as a GT is insane (but I want to pair the Tremec with the 5.0!). I'm crazy, but I'm not stupid. LOL Stopped at my local Ford dealer to see the 2024 Mustang in person. Saw a Darkhorse with an MSRP of $64k. WTF?!?!?!?! That's some serious money for a Mustang that runs 12's. What in the world is happening?!?!?!?!?!?!

But to the OP's point, people are asking crazy money for cars and other goods right now. I wonder what the difference is between asking price and actual sale price. I saw a Mach 1 on Autotrader that was for sale for $58K but the KBB on the same exact page showed that the retail value was $52K. Obviously KBB isn't always accurate, but that's $6K difference.

Buddy has a 21’ Mach1 with 4600 miles on it.

No idea what fair or good pricing is

IMG_1461.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Recently?

That’s not a terrible price assuming it’s not an actual shitbox.

Two years ago now. Bad paint, has some good parts but poor execution on the build.

It was a pissed off buy.

I can recoup some of my investment selling the engine, trans, and suspension. My build will be better and trying to decide between Antimatter Blue or this Red on the Alfa Romeo Gulia Quadrafelacio called Rosso Etna.

Some boys get their love of trains from their mothers.

robvas

Established Member
I was looking at 16-17 S550s during rona and I watched them climb and climb. There were premium GTs going for at or above original MSRP when I stopped.

Things seem to be correcting a little on those cars now in my area. Still more than I want to pay for another toy though.

I was looking at them in the months before coronavirus...people were giving them away.

That said, it was almost impossible to find any for sale. They didn't pop up often, you'd see one or two at a dealer (and they weren't even expensive there)

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Buddy has a 21’ Mach1 with 4600 miles on it.

No idea what fair or good pricing is

View attachment 1818870

That's a handling pack car...nice!

Looks like elite interior from the picture...prefer Recaros but elite is good too. KBB says private party sale with El Paso zip code is around $47K. Again, KBB isn't always accurate. I'm just gun shy about that price point for a 2 year old used vehicle.

MG0h3

Established Member
That's a handling pack car...nice!

Looks like elite interior from the picture...prefer Recaros but elite is good too. KBB says private party sale with El Paso zip code is around $47K. Again, KBB isn't always accurate. I'm just gun shy about that price point for a 2 year old used vehicle.

I don’t blame you. Def seems like we’re at the peak or maybe just rolled off the peak.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
You are at a much higher price point than this but I've been toying with the idea of buying a 5.0 F150 (2018+) and selling my V8 4Runner.

No matter how I shake it out, I keep coming back to keeping said 4Runner despite it having 146k on it. That 2UZ V8, A750 Aisin transmission and AWD/differentials are just bulletproof at stock hp levels and it does what I need it to do.

I very much like the coyote trucks but yeah the 2UZ will run basically forever. My uncle had a 2uz tundra he parked in the woods with 310,000 miles, it still ran perfect when I got it going again 8 years later.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
The used dirtbike market is the same. I love how people want payoff which is well over msrp. Someone took out a loan from hell. I just sold my little crf50f. Guess I'll be riding my bicycle for a while.

LS WUT

Established Member
The used dirtbike market is the same. I love how people want payoff which is well over msrp. Someone took out a loan from hell. I just sold my little crf50f. Guess I'll be riding my bicycle for a while.
I’ve been on the hunt for an MT-07. People want $8,500 for a bike that’s $7,899.99 new. Makes it hilarious that it’s stock and has no mods like exhaust, etc.

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
Some of these prices really are crazy. I guess a 99 GT is considered a classic now since it is 25 years old. Most of us were spoiled with an endless selection of relatively cheap, clean cars...unfortunately that window may have closed forever.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I reached out to the dude selling my old ‘99. He didn’t know much about the car at all, including the misinformation in his posts. Never knew the motor blew up either. He was kind of pissed I’m sure. Said he traded it straight up for a ‘10 Altima Sport. Thought the car had been taken care of an babied…which is odd as the kid who owned it after me demolished the driver seat, allowed the paint to go to ****, and sold it to this dude with a shitty transmission.

I told him I knew he probably couldn’t go to $1,500, but if he can’t sell and wants to get rid of it, to let me know. He suggested $4,000 and I politely declined as I had just told him I sold it for 3500 in much better shape an an engine and transmission ago.

I did the right thing and gave him all the correct information on the car and wished him luck. He corrected the listing, so we’ll see what happens.

Dude got ****ed by the dude I sold it to for sure.

robvas

Established Member
Here's an interesting one:

Would look a lot better with some 18" Cobra wheels and a slight drop.

Was in a couple magazines back in 04/05 when it was first built. Made a hair over 600 back then but ran out of fuel. How do you put that much money into a car and not finish it 100%...

Started as a Roush, added a built motor, D1SC, T56 swap, etc

Guy claims it runs okay when it warms up but idles bad when cold due to being switched to a BOV and fuel pumps being recently replaced. Not the original owner of course.

For $20k you'd really want a turnkey car. One problem is it's on the other side of lake Michigan. You'd almost want to have it taken straight to a shop that can re-tune it.

Negatives would be it's a nearly 20 year old build. Who knows what you're getting? What needs replaced? Then again all of our Cobras are 20 years old if they have the original drivetrain :D It's only 8.5:1 (again, so is a Cobra) but it should be able to do 700+ at the tire on E85 on 20psi. Assuming it's not choked up by the P51 intake. And that the RPM range of the cams match up.

Do you want to risk getting into a project like that? It could be a nice car. Or a nightmare. But how much better are a lot of those components today compared to back then. What kind of weird one-off things are you going to run into. "They don't make this anymore..." etc etc

Attachments

• 370363664_10231489816579401_2636450980234003419_n.jpg
    370363664_10231489816579401_2636450980234003419_n.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 374559774_10231489858300444_5186360971901845861_n.jpg
    374559774_10231489858300444_5186360971901845861_n.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 393926493_189228977578770_5392623725912801536_n.jpg
    393926493_189228977578770_5392623725912801536_n.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 64

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member

Love me a Mach 1. These are truly impressive in person. Procharged these are the shit. Want.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I don’t blame you. Def seems like we’re at the peak or maybe just rolled off the peak.

Love me a Mach 1. These are truly impressive in person. Procharged these are the shit. Want.
Love the Tremec in the 350 but the low end torque is nonexistent. Love the 5.0 in the GT but the manual trans is poop. The Mach puts the Tremec and 5.0 together, plus it looks so so good. Beats the 2024 aesthetically by a mile!

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Stopped at my local Ford dealer to see the 2024 Mustang in person. Saw a Darkhorse with an MSRP of $64k. WTF?!?!?!?! That's some serious money for a Mustang that runs 12's. What in the world is happening?!?!?!?!?!?!
I mean there was a time when 5.0 Foxbody's were being bought new for 16k~

10 years later, loaded NE GT's were almost in the 30k.

Dont see it surprising being almost double the price 23 years later on a Mustang that's a tier "above" a GT. Sounds about right going by previous increases throughout the years

Last edited:

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I mean there was a time when 5.0 Foxbody's were being bought new for 16k~

10 years later, loaded NE GT's were almost in the 30k.

Dont see it surprising being almost double the price 23 years later on a Mustang that's a tier "above" a GT. Sounds about right going by previous increases throughout the years.
Let's not even talk about the Dark Horse. A GT is over $50K. Who in the hell can afford one? Or the better question is, who would want to stretch their budget to get a GT? No thanks. I think there are compression issues with Ford. There isn't enough distance between the GT and DH price-wise. I stood in front of a new GT premium that also had the performance pack and it was $55K. The DH next to it was $64K (the DH is 16% more expensive than the GT). When I bought my loaded 2006 GT it was $28K and the 2007 GT500 checked in at around $45K (the Shelby was 60% more expensive than the GT).

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Let's not even talk about the Dark Horse. A GT is over $50K. Who in the hell can afford one? Or the better question is, who would want to stretch their budget to get a GT? No thanks. I think there are compression issues with Ford. There isn't enough distance between the GT and DH price-wise. I stood in front of a new GT premium that also had the performance pack and it was $55K. The DH next to it was $64K (the DH is 16% more expensive than the GT). When I bought my loaded 2006 GT it was $28K and the 2007 GT500 checked in at around $45K (the Shelby was 60% more expensive than the GT).
Checking on previous years, 06 Premium GT's with options were around mid 30's. Not saying you didnt get your's for under 30k, just saying these were the prices before the deals/rebates set it which for the most part are non-existent nowadays or not as good.

Going back to 1990 vs 2006, 16 years later, thats practically a 80-90% increase. Going back 2006 to now 2023, 17 years later, also about 90% increase. Sounds about right.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Checking on previous years, 06 Premium GT's with options were around mid 30's. Not saying you didnt get your's for under 30k, just saying these were the prices before the deals/rebates set it which for the most part are non-existent nowadays or not as good.

Going back to 1990 vs 2006, 16 years later, thats practically a 80-90% increase. Going back 2006 to now 2023, 17 years later, also about 90% increase. Sounds about right.
You may be correct. I got mine for $28K but if my memory serves me correctly it was during a time when Ford was going crazy trying to sell them (I think I got 0% for 72 months and a bunch of rebates).

Users who are viewing this thread