True 3" Cat Back......

Green99

Established Member
Putting a CPR kit on my 13 Boss and looking for a true 3" cat back to bolt up to the mid-pipe which is 3".

Any ideas?

fuelforfire87

Established Member
There are a few manufacturers that make a full 3” catback like ford performance and borla, but they also come with their own midpipe that you wouldn't be able to use and are more expensive. Pretty much every other catback steps down to 2.75” so they will be compatible with the factory midpipe. I believe JBA has an option with their catback to have it be 3 inches at the connection to the midpipe but your best bet would be to just choose whichever catback you want and have a shop cut off the 2.75" step down and weld in some 3" pipe.

onefastmf

Established Member
Did you get your kit yet? the reason i ask is because the two pipes right off the down pipe, one of them is kind of ovaled restricting flow so i think spending extra cash on real 3" is a waste. I'm not sure if dustin did this on propose or not, but those two pipes off the downpipe are crazy easy to drop, takes two minutes and you are just dumping right off the dp and your not going to get any better flow than that, and its not even loud.

Green99

Established Member
Did you get your kit yet? the reason i ask is because the two pipes right off the down pipe, one of them is kind of ovaled restricting flow so i think spending extra cash on real 3" is a waste. I'm not sure if dustin did this on propose or not, but those two pipes off the downpipe are crazy easy to drop, takes two minutes and you are just dumping right off the dp and your not going to get any better flow than that, and its not even loud.
I did like you and took it to him. Luckily he is in TX now. I figured he would be the best person in the country to install it.

The more I think about it, I may run bumper exit.

Did you get your car sold?

fuelforfire87

Established Member
What Scot said. Kooks! Stainless steel. Here's a link if you want to review their product. Not cheap at $1,017.
https://www.americanmuscle.com/kooks-catback-1114gt.html

Kooks is not a true 3" catback, it necks down to 2.75" at the connection to the midpipe. It does have really good over axle pipes however. I ordered this catback to replace my lethal performance over axle pipes but realized that it would be a waste since I am not making more than 1000 HP, so I sold it. Currently rocking kooks 1-7/8" LT's with offroad x, lethal over axle pipes (2.75") and corsa sport quad tip mufflers. Last time I was on the dyno I made 740 rwhp. You only need a true 3" system if you are going for 1K HP IMO.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I went MBRP race 3" and had the shop cut the restriction off and used a 3" coupler. You can see one side done and the other side waiting to be done.

20170131_094523_resized.jpg

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
StainlessWorks will have a full 3” option. At track open down pipe def best option
-J

fuelforfire87

Established Member
It is hella loud, but the drone is surprisingly minimal. I went from turbo to blower and my turbo dumped was quieter, LOL.
Where you running it with the stock manifolds? X or h pipe? Cats or catless?Reason i ask is that the first exhaust setup i had on my car was the mbrp race catback with an offroad x pipe and the drone was deafening on the highway. It sounded pretty good though when just driving around town.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Where you running it with the stock manifolds? X or h pipe? Cats or catless?Reason i ask is that the first exhaust setup i had on my car was the mbrp race catback with an offroad x pipe and the drone was deafening on the highway. It sounded pretty good though when just driving around town.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

1 7/8" header with 3.5" collector and X

Users who are viewing this thread