Troponin's 2014 F150 build

Troponin

Established Member
So the modding has been happening this week. I stopped posting over on the F150 forums because I got shit every time I Posted anything about wanting to get power and some performance out of my truck. So, I figured I would bring it over to where people appreciate all things performance. THis is my DD. I have two little girls that I haul around, and I need a truck to do some light pulling, but at the same time, I wanted to my it a bunch of fun to drive as well.

The day I brought her home.

4C7DFA53-37FB-4658-B695-544AB10E0DC1_zpswe90opmj.jpg

First thing is first. My little girls couldn't get in to the truck, so side steps were a priority.

3F7F4259-BDF8-4FA0-86EB-B22A39FA2052_zpsqcecckc7.jpg

Truck is currently in the garage having the supercharger installed.

1E93CAD1-71D0-4656-BD14-E516DAE0BE1D_zpsiujbig4t.jpg

820AC6B5-E041-4C07-8B0F-C992FB9DAE35_zps5xh24eyg.jpg

rear shot to compare before and after stance.

BCED4B3B-872C-4E84-8A91-EB2A6483A5DB_zpscf8yebwr.jpg

Had a bit of a hang up because ROUSH sent two upper left intercooler brackets and we are missing an upper right bracket. Trying to rig something up for now so that we can get this at least driveable. Hopefully they over night it to me, but the customer service guy said it will be up to the warehouse. Huh?

Wheels and tires should be arriving next week. Going with Hostile Hammered in chrome 20x10s and Nitto 420S in 305/50-20. That set up shouldn't give me much of an issue of rubbing.

I haven't decided what I want to do after this. Might get a cat back for an exhaust note, and when I am ready to do a custom tune, perhaps headers. The tuning will just be the ROUSH calibrations for now, since it's a brand new truck and want to make sure to work the bugs out of her before voiding my warranty completely.

Last edited:

Troponin

Established Member
Getting in to the final stages of the install. On the home stretch now. There was a decent amount of grinding involved on the front cover fitment to make sure belts etc cleared. Wiring also seemed to be a little more of a task to handle on the F150 than the Mustang install as well.

240D84A3-FC70-4771-8795-3CCD5CA725B2_zpsnmyuruhd.jpg

Blower finally installed. I did some before and after performance testing just to get an idea of how much of a difference this kit makes. Let me tell you something about these trucks. Your butt dyno doesn't tell the whole story! After first I was a little disappointed. It didn't pull as hard as I was expecting. Then I did a 0-60 and 60-80 pull and the results speak for themselves. I did SOFT launches, meaning, I didn't rev the RPMS before the launch. I just let go of the brakes and punched it. First pull was in 2WD and it launched ok. Post install, I had to do it in 4 wheel drive because it was just smokin the tires like a mofo.

0-60 before 7.6 seconds After 6.1 seconds
60-80 Before 5.7 seconds After 4.6 seconds

So, If I were to hard launch this, I would be in the 5 second range.

I also noticed that the ROUSH tuning does, in fact, bump the rev limit. It's now going to 6500RPMs, vs the 5500-5800 it was previous to the install.

FF47A6F1-F9AB-4348-9D50-0CEB4F9412F3_zpspb1skar4.jpg

9890820C-FBA8-43CF-8904-B31648614BB5_zpswein8knv.jpg

Ended up with a leveling kit for now. F150lifts leveling kit installed and wheels. I am still on the fence if I want to add fender flares. Still unsure of how much the wheels/tires stick out. Didn't get it back until late, so I had to take the pics in the shade this time. It still spins, but I can def tell a difference in how much they spin and what speeds they will spin at now, so there was def a traction improvement.

0501B206-43BE-4697-98F4-CA354A32344A_zpsfa0jxm8c.jpg

A09F74DB-DC45-48A1-823D-5713EE19C2FD_zpsrrgnuphn.jpg

Finally added the Stifflers Long Bars today. Haven't had a chance to really test them out, but so far, the handling or ride of the truck doesn't appear to have changed. WHen I changed my wheels and tires, the wheel hop was minimized, so I was hoping for some added traction. It's hard to tell if the tires are actually biting more.

BA8D2384-C882-4DE3-9C00-6A2DAEEC9D14_zpseoqykfqu.jpg

nGauge is installed 3/8/2016

No instructions came with either the nGauge or the Lund plug and play boost sensor, however, both MPT and Lund were very helpful in figuring in giving my install guys info to getting it done. MPT has installation tips and progress on their website to make it easier too. Only issues I have are that the nGauge has limited mounting options. It's larger than your typical gauge, so we had to use 3M tape to hold it in place in the vent. Otherwise, you're stuck with the T bracket mounts, which stick WAY out and don't look as nice.

601DEFEF-6434-463E-B7B4-37A51F94B3D0_zpstcxseege.jpg

Last edited:

Troponin

Established Member
What F150 forum were you on that they gave you shit on ?

Thats not cool...I won't go there.

How hard was the blower install ?

F150forum.com I asked if anyone did any performance tests before and after their FI set ups and what kind of 0-60s, 1/4 miles etc they picked up. The first several replies were "You drive a truck, why in the hell do you care about performance?". Apparently trucks are supposed to be slow and boring to drive. The trolling began after that.

I am not doing the actual install. I am having a Ford tech do it for me so that I can get the ROUSH warranty for the time being. Cost isn't great, but it could potentially more than pay for itself if anything happens. I can tell you that the install is more involved on the F150 than it was on the Mustang. Mustang was pretty straight forward with only slight modding (had to shave down a little spot for belt clearance). The 2014 F150 there is some cutting involved, and you have to install a FEAD kit, which includes harmonic balancer and a new tensioner.

BSB318

Established Member
Sounds like that forum just plain sucks with a bunch of boring people.

I guess nobody likes being walked by a truck.

Whats the other cutting involved with the install ?

Is the grinding of the timing cover more then the mustang timing cover ?

TVSF150FX4

Established Member

It's the same as the mustang timing cover grinding

I'm on f150forum I've seen the dumb ass comments before too I try to ignore it, but I'd have told them "I got a truck cause I wanted to and I'm making it fast cause I want to....lol but I'm a dick at times.......... I stay towards the 1/4mile list with post cause all of the people that post in there are about speed with the trucks.......

Troponin

Established Member

Added some more progress info and a pic.

I don't get it, because they damn well know there are a few guys over there that have pretty fast trucks. Most of them don't post a lot anymore though, maybe because of that reason.

Troponin

Established Member
Getting a little frustrated. So ROUSH sent two of the same bracket for the intercooler and we are missing one. Had to rig that up. The wiring was not as straight forward as it was in the Mustang either. Now, the numbers needed to get the ROUSH calibrations so the tech can download it from ROUSH is not working. So, it looks like my truck might be down for yet another day. So that will put the truck out of commission for two days longer than it took for my Mustang as well. Should have been done today, but with ROUSH Closed, I think I'm screwed for the day.

Troponin

Established Member
Finally got through to someone at ROUSH that fixed this. Unfortunately, now there is a problem with the FEAD kit and AC compressor compatibility, and they have to keep it for another day to figure out what is wrong.

stroked mach

Established Member
take your time man it will be worth it in the end,, and let us know asap when its done, I love to have a truck like yours

BSB318

Established Member
Finally got through to someone at ROUSH that fixed this. Unfortunately, now there is a problem with the FEAD kit and AC compressor compatibility, and they have to keep it for another day to figure out what is wrong.

I am starting wonder if I should go with the Whipple set up with the front air inlet supercharger , should I decide to add a supercharger.

It seems this Roush kit is a pain to install and Roush is not so great at customer service.

Troponin

Established Member
I am starting wonder if I should go with the Whipple set up with the front air inlet supercharger , should I decide to add a supercharger.

It seems this Roush kit is a pain to install and Roush is not so great at customer service.

If you catch ROUSH early in the day, they are fantastic. You get someone almost immediately every time. If it's passed noon, you have to blow up their phones because they get slammed. When they do answer though, I have always had a pleasant experience.

The 2011-2013 F150s apparently do not need this FEAD kit, but the 2014s do. Part of what this kit does is increase your belts and pulleys from 4 rib to 6 ribs, so it has to be done, regardless of what set up you go with. Otherwise, you're going to have a lot of issues with belt slippage.

Will also be interested to see if they over nighted that intercooler bracket. If they didn't, I will get give them a tick mark for lack of haste when there was a problem caused on their end that hung up the work time.

Hopefully tomorrow things will go smoothly and we can wrap this up.

BSB318

Established Member
I wonder why Ford did this change to cause the FEAD situation for 2014 ?

If they (Roush) don't do right by you then that may help me decide to go with Whipple.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
blower looks good sitting on top! best of luck today. gig'em.

BSB318

Established Member
What gears do you have in this truck ?

E-locker or limited slip diff ?

Your wheels and tires look identical to mine.

Are they 20 inch wheels with P275/55R20 size tires ?

If so then we have the same.

Troponin

Established Member
What gears do you have in this truck ?

E-locker or limited slip diff ?

Your wheels and tires look identical to mine.

Are they 20 inch wheels with P275/55R20 size tires ?

If so then we have the same.

3.55s

Yes, same tires.

Discount just called and said my Nittos are in, so just waiting on the wheels.

Troponin

Established Member
Ugh...wheels don't clear the fender enough when turning the wheel. Looks like everyone with my intended set up might have a 1-2 inch leveling kit for the front. Will have to look at some options.

9E57FCDD-BD69-42A7-8B9F-D727515D5760_zpsteuxk61o.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread