Trinity and the 2015

Grabber07'

Established Member

5.0 guy

Established Member
It's always a possibility but there is a lot more they need to do other then try to fit the Trinity under the hood. They have to upgrade all of the other supporting components to go with it and it's hard to imagine them designing a complete package this early in a new design. I still see it in coming in late 2015 with the Voodoo setup. We shall see so enough!

F8L SN8K

Established Member
It's always a possibility but there is a lot more they need to do other then try to fit the Trinity under the hood. They have to upgrade all of the other supporting components to go with it and it's hard to imagine them designing a complete package this early in a new design. I still see it in coming in late 2015 with the Voodoo setup. We shall see so enough!

They already have upgraded supporting items for the other models that are coming in the line-up.

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
There was mention of upgraded rods and stuff. The heads were also ported (can you say BOSS heads). I believe it will be a BOSS longblock which will be turbo safe, and they will mod the 5.0 instead of using the 5.8. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Simon_C

Established Member
My view is that it is very unlikely that the 5.8 is going in the S550. First, SVT is going to progressively add horsepower over the life of the new platform so it is unlikely they will start with 662 and then introduce less power with subsequent models. Second, I doubt whether the IRS has been sufficiently engineered and tested to withstand that much power. Third, with CAFE biting harder the future seems to be with ecoboost.

Just my 0.02.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
There was mention of upgraded rods and stuff. I believe it will be a BOSS block which will be turbo safe, and they will must mod the 5.0 instead of using the 5.8. Just my opinion.

If by Boss block you mean Boss rods, then yes. Otherwise, the "block" between a GT and Boss is no different. I haven't heard yet what pistons are going to be used in the '15, but it's confirmed they're getting Boss rods, which are plenty strong.

My view is that it is very unlikely that the 5.8 is going in the S550. First, SVT is going to progressively add horsepower over the life of the new platform so it is unlikely they will start with 662 and then introduce less power with subsequent models. Second, I doubt whether the IRS has been sufficiently engineered and tested to withstand that much power. Third, with CAFE biting harder the future seems to be with ecoboost.

Just my 0.02.

For the same reason you list first, Ford will have engineered and tested the new IRS to handle a LOT of power. Ford isn't going to go backwards in power/performance and durability, so I guarantee the IRS has been designed to withstand the HP they have planned in upcoming models.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see the 5.8L go on for one more year. There have been a couple times an older engine has spilled over to the new body. It happened in '94 and '95, and they did it in '10 with the 3V in the GT, and the iron block in the GT500. And I can see them doing it again in the '15. If a new chassis is ready, and a powertrain isn't, that doesn't stop them.

My bet is a "Boss 351" of sorts. Maybe N/A, or maybe the complete 662 hp Trinity. Either way, they have a real winner with the 5.8L, and I think they'll take advantage of the momentum they have going with it.

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
I've heard from a pretty reliable source that they're looking at the trinity motor with a different power adder (twin turbos most likely) that will make more than 660hp..

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I've heard from a pretty reliable source that they're looking at the trinity motor with a different power adder (twin turbos most likely) that will make more than 660hp..

I think this is very unlikely, purely based on size and space. If there is a twin turbo power plant coming, it will be based on the 5.0L.

freakshow12

Established Member
Wow. Like 6 threads on this in the last few months and nobody gets it! Trinity is dead! Last ones were built weeks ago. So like Dexter killing trinity so did ford! You don't remember when the terminators wrapped up? It took until 07 with the new car to get a big boy back! That horse is dead. Quit beating it

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Wow. Like 6 threads on this in the last few months and nobody gets it! Trinity is dead! Last ones were built weeks ago. So like Dexter killing trinity so did ford! You don't remember when the terminators wrapped up? It took until 07 with the new car to get a big boy back! That horse is dead. Quit beating it

That's as much speculation as the rest of it. Nothing is known at this point.

13RaceRedShelby

Established Member
I must have been under a rock... what was the difference in rods between the GT and BOSS? They ugraded rods for the measly 20 or so extra hp the BOSS produced? How did I miss this lol. I was probably only reading about the GT500 actually.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I must have been under a rock... what was the difference in rods between the GT and BOSS? They ugraded rods for the measly 20 or so extra hp the BOSS produced? How did I miss this lol. I was probably only reading about the GT500 actually.

The beefier rods weren't added only because of the extra HP, it was also the extended RPM, and intended use of the Boss 302. They had to withstand racing conditions, like sustained high load, high RPM. They're quite strong. Especially compared with the standard GT rods.

Last edited:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I would be shocked to see that engine appear again in any production car

+1 to all of the above.

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
There wont be a lack of power in upcoming trims, but it wont be from the 5.8

The trinity was too costly to produce, and too tolerance specific to build in mass production.

Besides, there wont be a performance trim for 2015 introduced. Ford marketers spend years looking at buyer trends. One of the most glaring trends is this:

Mustang fans will get in line to buy a GT because its fresh and new and there are those that just cant wait. In 2016, Ford can get more of the demographic by offering a performance trim (The GT350) and although it wont start out with more than 550 HP, who knows what a 4 or 5 year run of that would be producing at its conclusion.

The smartest guy here was the one that had a 2004 Cobra, and bought a 2014 GT500. If you have the restrain, and can stand to wait on the sidelines, buying the 2017 or 2018 GT350 will pay off huge, and you would likely be able to bookend your best of the S197 GT500 with the best of the S550 GT350.

Those like ME, well, we are screwed.... as I bought a 2008, 2011, and then finally the 2014. I cant make it longer than 3 model years, and only make it that long because my wife threatens me with divorce.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
The smartest guy here was the one that had a 2004 Cobra, and bought a 2014 GT500.
Well, thank you :thumbsup:
Only 2 cars I've ever bought new, I still wish I had the '04 but made since to sell when I did :nonono:
I will eventually add a Teal '93 and Mystic '04 to the collection, planning on next SVT product at the end of the S550 period, this '14 GT500 will keep me happy for a LONG time :)
-J
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread