Tread Life with NT05's

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Are these a road race tire? Many of you guys using them for cruising/street driving? Whats the benefit of these vs there drag radials or the 555?

fiveohfanatic

ITS STOCK I SWEAR
Established Member
Are these a road race tire? Many of you guys using them for cruising/street driving? Whats the benefit of these vs there drag radials or the 555?

they are a high performance summer tire with better tread wear than the drag radial version. Very similar to the 555s as far as tread wear, but different design with the tread. Tread wear rating on these I believe are 200 vs the 100 tread wear rating on the DRs.

johnny--2k

Daily Grind...
Established Member
Thanks for all the info guys! I called Julio, he was going to check on the stock of the 10.5's and he never got back to me....kinda disappointed honestly. I already have the MMS Bolts, sitting in the bag waiting to get installed.

SVTRocket

SVT Fan
Established Member
they are a high performance summer tire with better tread wear than the drag radial version. Very similar to the 555s as far as tread wear, but different design with the tread. Tread wear rating on these I believe are 200 vs the 100 tread wear rating on the DRs.

Most of the reading I've done says to expect about 15,000 miles out of the Nitto drag radials. The above comments seem about the same or less with the NT's.

Interesting comparison's that we're all sure to watch...

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member

fiveohfanatic

ITS STOCK I SWEAR
Established Member
Most of the reading I've done says to expect about 15,000 miles out of the Nitto drag radials. The above comments seem about the same or less with the NT's.

Interesting comparison's that we're all sure to watch...

If you use DR's as they are intended with occassional drag use, I guarentee you will never see 15K miles out of them. The NT05 vs the NT05DR's are a different compound. All Nitto's that are not the DR's are have a wear rating of 200, while the DR's are a tackier, yet softer compound, 100 rating or less.

svt2712

Established Member
I don't get it if you want to hook at any point in time then you need a soft tire if you want miles out of your tires then you need a higher treadwear rating that simple. There are to many factors on how long a tire will last. the NT05R's could last 15k miles its how you drive on them. I recently purchased the NT05R's and am very happy with them compard to the NT555R's but i can tell you that they are not going to last long for me as the NT555R's did. Due to the softer compound. I went from a 315 back down to a 275 and the NT05R's are hooking better than the NT555's ever did. I feel that tires are like changing the oil its just something you do so often.
This is right from nitto's web page.

Treadwear Rating
The treadwear grade is a comparative numerical rating based on the wear rate of the tire when tested under controlled conditions on a specified government test course. For example, a tire graded 200 would wear two times as well on the course as a tire graded 100. The relative performance of a tire depends upon the actual conditions of its use which may depart significantly from the test conditions due to variations in driving habits, service practices, and differences in road characteristics and climates.

Treadwear
NT555 300

NT555R 100

NT05 200

NT05R 000

Last edited:

johnny--2k

Daily Grind...
Established Member
I understand that, I'm just curious as to what people are getting out of them more than anything else.

RcodeStang

Established Member
I came to this section to ask this exact question, saw a 2 page thread, got excited, clicked, found nothing. Great. So NO ONE has gone through a set of NT05s yet? They're going to be my next tire and I'm hoping for 10k. I have 8k and 14 autox events on my RE01Rs right now and they're getting close to the wear bars.

johnny--2k

Daily Grind...
Established Member
I have about 14K on the original Eagle F1's, and those are a 240 tread wear rating, I would venture to guess that 10K sounds about right for the NT05's with a fairly aggressive driver

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I came to this section to ask this exact question, saw a 2 page thread, got excited, clicked, found nothing. Great. So NO ONE has gone through a set of NT05s yet? They're going to be my next tire and I'm hoping for 10k. I have 8k and 14 autox events on my RE01Rs right now and they're getting close to the wear bars.

check post #20 from me....

"i've run 315/35 nt05's (the regular 200 rated tire, r is 0 i believe) for probably 8000 miles on 10.5" replica rims.".

so, to summarize, I'm at 8000 and they're still on the car. getting close to the wear indicator, but another 2000 ought to be doable :coolman:

RcodeStang

Established Member
check post #20 from me....

"i've run 315/35 nt05's (the regular 200 rated tire, r is 0 i believe) for probably 8000 miles on 10.5" replica rims.".

so, to summarize, I'm at 8000 and they're still on the car. getting close to the wear indicator, but another 2000 ought to be doable :coolman:

Must have missed it. Thanks.

johnny--2k

Daily Grind...
Established Member
Well, ordered the tires today, but the NT05 in the factory size is out of stock indefinitely. Called DTD, 1010tires, and 2 other local places. No one has a timeline on the tires so I just did the 555's out front with the 315 rears in the NT05.

Anyone else running this combo? How is it?

Jefe

Established Member
Well, ordered the tires today, but the NT05 in the factory size is out of stock indefinitely. Called DTD, 1010tires, and 2 other local places. No one has a timeline on the tires so I just did the 555's out front with the 315 rears in the NT05.

Anyone else running this combo? How is it?

You wanted NT05s on the front? I wouldnt seeing that youll only get 15k miles or less out of them. I put 555s on the front and NT05 275s out back. Im hoping for 25k+ miles on the 555s. Couldnt be happier so far. Also you might want to purchase the road hazard for the fronts only

johnny--2k

Daily Grind...
Established Member
I was going to do them all the way around, but after thinking about it, I figured this was a better deal anyways with the wear ratings on the 555's. How do you like them so far with cornering ability? I cant tell you how much I loathe the F1's....

Jefe

Established Member
Exactly. 555s do great. Cant really tell you how they are at high speeds around corners because I always purposely goose the throttle to get the rear end to come around :D

RcodeStang

Established Member
You wanted NT05s on the front? I wouldnt seeing that youll only get 15k miles or less out of them. I put 555s on the front and NT05 275s out back. Im hoping for 25k+ miles on the 555s. Couldnt be happier so far. Also you might want to purchase the road hazard for the fronts only

Some people like their car to turn... If you're going to run crappy tires up front and sticky ones in the back for straight line traction purposes only, just go straight to a drag radial.

Users who are viewing this thread