transmissions. TKO600 vs T56 Magnum

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
The only reason I went with the TKO600 in mine is because I got it for nearly nothing and it was brand new. Otherwise, Magnum FTW. I actually hate this 600. Shifts like shit and is noisy as hell on the highway.

SVTPete83

Established Member
The T56 Magnum is god lol.. Shifts better than my T45 with a MGW.. Literally I can flick the shifter and it'll go into gear.. Seriously OP it's worth the 1200 extra bucks..

I gotta go with Chris on this one. I can now say I have experience with a stock t45, a built t45, a few different versions of the t-5, the srod (lol) and a cobra t-56. Out of all the tranny and shifter combinations I have tried,(Tri ax, mgw, to name a few) my new t -56 magnum is the almighty God out of all of them! Shifts are butter smooth and the stock shifter that it comes with it is the shit! This with a McLeod rxt are by far the best mods I have ever done to any mustang I have ever owned. You go this route you will not be disappointed.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I gotta go with Chris on this one. I can now say I have experience with a stock t45, a built t45, a few different versions of the t-5, the srod (lol) and a cobra t-56. Out of all the tranny and shifter combinations I have tried,(Tri ax, mgw, to name a few) my new t -56 magnum is the almighty God out of all of them! Shifts are butter smooth and the stock shifter that it comes with it is the shit! This with a McLeod rxt are by far the best mods I have ever done to any mustang I have ever owned. You go this route you will not be disappointed.

Excellent comments and all true. If anyone is trying to decide whether or not to buy a Magnum T-56, just ask a Magnum T-56 owner. I've talked to a few recently who bought my new Magnum T-56 base gasket kit and they love the transmission. Definitely worth the extra money IMO.

corysmach1

Established Member
I busted a total of 5 3650s in the mach....2 of them were promotions. Ill never deal with promotion again. I have heard great things about hanlon and t45source.

speedfreak94

Established Member
Adding my vote for the Magnum. Have owned and driven several T-5, T-45, T-56, TR-3650, and TR-3550/TKO equipped cars. The Magnum is the best hands down. Slick, short shifts, gobs of torque capacity, and very refined.

By the way, I'm sure the reason that the Mag swap is $1200 more is (other than the cost of the trans), the 26-spline clutch, drive shaft mod, and possible Quick Time bell you'll need. At "700-ish" horsepower, you should have all those things anyway. Go Magnum man, you won't be dissappointed!

Good luck!

teufel GT

Established Member
I went from the T45 to the Liberty Built TKO600 spec. I was worried about all those bad stories about 3rd being a pain so went Liberty. Transmission was notchy the first 150-250 miles. But after that it began to shift smooth during the break in. After about 600 miles i changed the fluids and it felt great. No complaints at all, never had trouble with geting into any gear. Put about 4200 miles on it....but now it is about to be on the market due to me discovering 4 cyclinders filled with oil :( (now i am going to part the car sadly).

If you decide to go TKO600, i would recommend the Liberty built version.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Adding my vote for the Magnum. Have owned and driven several T-5, T-45, T-56, TR-3650, and TR-3550/TKO equipped cars. The Magnum is the best hands down. Slick, short shifts, gobs of torque capacity, and very refined.
I thought the shifter itself decides if it's a short or long throw from gear to gear....

and off topic here but i run a viper spec t56 from a wrecked gen 2 viper. I wanted stronger internals than a terminator and .5 OD in 6th.

speedfreak94

Established Member
Lever ratio at the shifter is absolutely a factor in the "throw". However, shortening the shift throw by manipulating either the pivot point of the shifter or the length of the handle usually also results in a higher shift effort. The Magnum offers short shifts by virtue of having a narrower synchronizer design than any of the other popular offerings (Viper T-56 included), meaning the slider has less distance to travel to engage a gear--thus a shorter throw.

Jfoster

Established Member
I personally don't have experience with the magnum but I know coming from a poor boy point of view is rather save the 1200

To that I'd say, if you can't afford a T56, then do what you need to do. If you can afford one - it's money we'll spent.

The only reason, IMO to choose a TKO, 3650, T45..whatever over a magnum is if a magnum will not physically fit your application. I'd never choose one of these voodoo, reengineered/rebuilt transmissions over a magnum or even a regular T56. It's hard to beat OEM engineering. I'll be getting a magnum very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread