transmissions. TKO600 vs T56 Magnum

Chances50

Established Member
Ive been researching trying to figure out which way to go, I like the .5 OD in the Magnum but also like that the TKO will be about $1200 less to swap to. I dont see my car ever making more than 600ftlbs of tq so i think both will handle what im after.

This is the T56 setup im looking at.
http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/in...?cPath=108_127

VS

The TKO600, the positive side to the TKO is i already have a lakewood bell housing for it in the garage, from my understanding i can reuse my stock driveshaft

http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/pr...45cPath=107_91

Ive read that some of the TKO600's have shift lockout issues, im not sure if this has been addressed with the new transmissions or not.

The main question is. is it worth the extra $1200 to swap to the t56?

this will be behind 4v with a centri blower in the mid 600rwhp range, 80/20 Street/drag

Sorry im not sure where this type of thread should actually go.

Sneaky01Snake

Established Member
I'd go t-56

I'm finishing up my viper t-56 (basically a magnum) swap into my foxbody that will have a turbo 408. I went this route for the gear ratios and added strength over the cobra t-56, although there are a bunch of guys on here running big power number with cobra t-56's and 26spline input. the .50 overdrive is going to allow me to continue taking the car on long road trips if I want to and the longer gears should be perfect for the turbo.

those D&D kits are nice but pricey! I pieced everything together myself and have much less into the trans swap than that, but it is nice that everything is included.

just my .02

UrbanKnight

Hard Core Car Whore
Established Member
I had/have both.

I had the TKO600 beefed up and it was ok and my car was a touch over 600 at the time.. It performed well, but all TKO's have lockout issues up top it seems...

When i redid my motor, I switch to a T56 magnum, and dear god it is money well spent.... Shifts are butter/ it just "feels" better.....

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
Mid 600s why not build a t45? Still the smoothest shifting 5 speed and 1500 will get it rebuilt top to bottom with 26 spline, carbon syncros, solid keys, etc. If you want a 5 speed I'd take a t45 over tko any day, but if you like the 6 speed go that route. I was recently in the same boat as you and after a lot of research I decided to build the t45 because quite frankly I love the way the shift, like butter all the way to 6200.

Chances50

Established Member
Haven't really looked at t45's but I will. 6 speed isn't important I just want a tough trans that can handle 700ish hp.

Mine quits making power at 6500ish and I usually shift 6800-7000.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Haven't really looked at t45's but I will. 6 speed isn't important I just want a tough trans that can handle 700ish hp.

Mine quits making power at 6500ish and I usually shift 6800-7000.

T45? that's the 5 speed behind the 96-98 Cobra.. not that great of a transmission, and definitely NOT up to handling the torque of a supercharged engine.

the T56 on the other hand, definitely is.. (the TR606/T56 Magnum) is a step up from the OEM T56.

Jroc

Established Member
T45? that's the 5 speed behind the 96-98 Cobra.. not that great of a transmission, and definitely NOT up to handling the torque of a supercharged engine.

the T56 on the other hand, definitely is.. (the TR606/T56 Magnum) is a step up from the OEM T56.

I think he's talking about building it, and saying it shifts better which yes my 99 GT shifted 10x's better than my Terminator especially downshifting. The T56's syncro's can be a PITA. You are right though in stock form a T45 is a pretty weak tranny, but I did think it shifted pretty nicely.

OP I don't know about aftermarket T56's like the Magnum of Viper spec trannies, but a GT500 shifts much better than a 03 Cobra IMO. Infact the T56 was one of my lesser favorite parts about the car. I've driven 4 or 5 Terminators and was never impressed with the way any of their trannies shifted regardless of the shifter, or clutch being used etc. It's been a while since I've driven a T56 Fbody, but I don't remember being to fond of how they shifted either, but they at least have a much better shifter location. Don't get me wrong you get use to it where it really doesn't bother you, but it's reluctance to downshift when I wanted it to use to really piss me off compared to the 5 speed cars. If I want to shift from my top overdrive gear to 3rd I don't want to have to shift to 4th first or either wait on it to ease itself into gear. The aftermarket T56's may do better about letting you downshift quickly/easily, but IDK.

Last edited:

Chances50

Established Member
I drove a buddy's 03 cobra a few years ago and wasnt to impressed with feel of the t56. I LOVE the way the t5/45's feel my 3650 is notchy and can be a pita at times.

As long as I can find a trans that will handle my power and slicks I'll be happy. I could care less if it has 5 or 6 gears. I would like a high ratio OD though.

I have thought about trying to fit a MT82 in it. I really like their gear ratios but they haven't been to impressive in the newer cars.

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I have one behind my f1a car that was previously behind a kb 2.2. Maybe you should do some research. The t56 is not what you guys think it is. Actually the best tremec trans that can be built to hold the moat power is actually the tr3650 thanks to its large case size. The stock t56 also is not up to handling 650, build it and built a t45 and I promise the t45 will hold just as much power and shift ten times better.

I'm not sure why ppl think the t56 is gods gift... Take it apart and compare the IMPORTANT PARTS and you'll be very surprised at what you find. The ONLY DOWNFALL of the t45 is the fact it doesn't have a removable bell housing, other wise its still the best shifting trans out there (equal to the t5 just better built)

Last edited:

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
Op, id like to clarify what I'm getting at here. I'm basing my opinion on the fact that you have a 5 speed mach (assuming) and the fact that the 3650 is a notchy bitch despite the fact it is the strongest manual trans (when built). By the time you buy a t56, driveshaft, pinion flange (stock mach flange won't work with cobra driveshaft), cross member etc. You could have bought and fully built a t45 for 5-800 less than you can have a stock (stock input is a paper weight after 550 whp) t56 set up, and the t45 is a direct bolt in, no need to change shafts or crossmembers. Is the t45 bullet proof? No. But will it handle 700 when built using the right parts and still be smooth as silk? Yes.

Just trying to make your other options known that's all. Not hating on the t56 but dollar for dollar in YOUR SPECIFIC APPLICATION, you have better options for your money.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
The T56 Magnum is god lol.. Shifts better than my T45 with a MGW.. Literally I can flick the shifter and it'll go into gear.. Seriously OP it's worth the 1200 extra bucks..

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
The T56 Magnum is god lol.. Shifts better than my T45 with a MGW.. Literally I can flick the shifter and it'll go into gear.. Seriously OP it's worth the 1200 extra bucks..

I personally don't have experience with the magnum but I know coming from a poor boy point of view is rather save the 1200

Jroc

Established Member
Op, id like to clarify what I'm getting at here. I'm basing my opinion on the fact that you have a 5 speed mach (assuming) and the fact that the 3650 is a notchy bitch despite the fact it is the strongest manual trans (when built). By the time you buy a t56, driveshaft, pinion flange (stock mach flange won't work with cobra driveshaft), cross member etc. You could have bought and fully built a t45 for 5-800 less than you can have a stock t56. Is the t45 bullet proof? No. But will it handle 700 when built using the right parts and still be smooth as silk? Yes.

The 3650 is likely notchy do to the fact that it's built similar to a T56 in 5-speed form if I'm not mistaken. It has things in it that are there to help protect it from damage. I feel sure that this is why the stock Cobra T56 is reluctant to downshifting several gears at one time because there are things built in it to not let it do that to lesson it chances of being damaged in a powerful car. I can understand having something to prevent it from shifting into gear if it would bounce of the redline, but other than that I want to be able to shift into gear quickly.

Chances50

Established Member
I'd love too keep the 3650 for the ease from what I understand I can build it to handle the power I'm after for $1200-$1500.

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
If I were you that's the route I'd go. Since you already have the trans its definitely the most cost effective. If your looking for a builder give Hanlon Motorsports a call, Bob is extremely knowledgeable and has been working with tremec transmissions since the t5 was big news.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread