Transmission whine M6

bmitchell373

Established Member
I did some looking and found nothing on this type of noise. After a few pulls the other night, I now hear a whine from 2-3k rpms, (exhaust take over after 3k). It only does it when in gear, clutch out and accelerating. I plan on checking the trans fluid level tomorrow. Car is all stock, only running stock tires, never been down the strip, etc. Anyone hear about anything like this? I plan on taking it to the dealer soon, just so they have a documented case.

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
Completely normal!! I've had two 5.0s and both of them whined, kinda sounds like a blower. It's luck of the draw some ppl get it and some don't just how it is. Trust me when I say ur car is perfectly fine. Don't pay too much attention to it.

bmitchell373

Established Member
Completely normal!! I've had two 5.0s and both of them whined, kinda sounds like a blower. It's luck of the draw some ppl get it and some don't just how it is. Trust me when I say ur car is perfectly fine. Don't pay too much attention to it.

How many miles did you have threw them?

Trbo6gn1

Established Member
Thank you for making sure FORD has a documented case of this. :rollseyes
You may want to inform them of a grinding noise too. I don't believe anyone has reported that either.

bmitchell373

Established Member
I have not been able to find a production date cut off for the pressure plate bolts. My car was produced may of 2011, and labeled 2012 model.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
My car has 13k miles and it whines as well. Even after the tsb. Seems to be normal for the mt82 and my car shifts just fine. Even the diesel ford van I drove when in Germany had an mt82 and it whined. Is what it is.

bmitchell373

Established Member
My car has 13k miles and it whines as well. Even after the tsb. Seems to be normal for the mt82 and my car shifts just fine. Even the diesel ford van I drove when in Germany had an mt82 and it whined. Is what it is.

A Diesel with a 6 speed? that be fun lol Ok seems normal. Just weird it started after a few pulls after hundreds before.

fake

Established Member
No whine with mine. I dumped the factory junk tranny oil with in the first month of ownership.

ViciousJay

Established Member
swap the fluid over to 75w90 (amsoil, RP, mobil 1)

i have a '13 with 3500 miles and it sounds like it was a rock crusher till i swapped the fluid, also it helps shifting as well ;-)

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
My first one whined. I called it normal for a while. Then one day the whine turning into sort of a metallic crunching sound for a bit. About called a tow truck. That noise disappeared for a day or two. The second transmission has been quiet and most of the other MT-82's are also quiet.

03Cobra1979

Established Member
My first trans went out at 4,600 miles and never had a whine to it. When it was replaced with a new one from ford it has whined since I picked it up and has been that was for 25k miles.

It has lasted through several 5k+ RPM launches at the track with a blower on 10's of boost. So I don't think the whine hurts it. Hell in my case I think it means I got a good trans. :shrug:

5.0GT

Established Member
swap the fluid over to 75w90 (amsoil, RP, mobil 1)

i have a '13 with 3500 miles and it sounds like it was a rock crusher till i swapped the fluid, also it helps shifting as well ;-)

Is that the recommended oil for our tranny? Redline MTL would work to I guess?

Not to hijack the thread but should I use the same oil for my diff?

WHITEMACH

Established Member
cut off for pressure plate bolts is like april of 11, if its whining have ford check it,just for documentation in case it explodes! i had my 11 in 4 times for the trans,and trust me if it aint bad dont mess with,as mine got only worse everytime they touched it till they replaced it!

jayman33

Mine started whining like a blower at 10k miles, has 12 now and its sitting at Ford getting the trans replaced. While they're down there the mechanic is putting my Exedy mach 600 and exedy flywheel in free of charge.

Users who are viewing this thread