Transmission options

Which transmission is best for my needs?

• T56

Votes: 28 45.9%
  • TKO 600

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • ProMotion built T45

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • 4R70W

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Push your car off a cliff.

Votes: 9 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Turns out I just broke a halfshaft. The shop put the car in the air and I broke one at the cv joint. So I bought some GKN half-shafts for it off of a buddy of mine (originally VirtualSVT's) and today I found a T56 for a pretty good deal (a bit cheaper than a PMP T45) so I will be buying that instead.

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
So let me get this straight.... your car has been out of commission because you thought it was the transmission when in actuality it was a halfshaft? Did you never look under it while it was in gear to see if the driveshaft was turning? Did you not hear the clicking noises in the halfshaft as the two broken stubs of the CV joint meshed together? Sorry to sound harsh, but a halfshaft is a very easy thing to diagnose and it is way different than a broken tranny. If I missed something in the past four pages, please let me know.

Is the tranny broken also?

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
So let me get this straight.... your car has been out of commission because you thought it was the transmission when in actuality it was a halfshaft? Did you never look under it while it was in gear to see if the driveshaft was turning? Did you not hear the clicking noises in the halfshaft as the two broken stubs of the CV joint meshed together? Sorry to sound harsh, but a halfshaft is a very easy thing to diagnose and it is way different than a broken tranny. If I missed something in the past four pages, please let me know.

Is the tranny broken also?

Transmission is fine. The car has been out of commission because I didn't work for the past 3 months and had no money to work on the car/buy anything. No, I never really looked under it because I didn't care to. And it did not make a clicking noise, only a grinding noise. Didn't make any noises at all when I rolled it.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Thanks for the follow-up. Like I said, sorry to come across harsh or anything, I have broken two halfshafts over the years and they are fairly easy to diagnose. The first one took me 20 minutes to figure out; I was still coasting to a stop when I figured out the second one, lol.

If I were in your shoes, I'd slap in those GKNs and forget about a new tranny until you tear up the stock one.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
+1, if you were short on funds for 3 months, why spend a bunch on a non-broken part? I'm sure we covered it, but you need way more than just the tranny if you are going to T-56

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
+1, if you were short on funds for 3 months, why spend a bunch on a non-broken part? I'm sure we covered it, but you need way more than just the tranny if you are going to T-56

Don't worry guys, I have it all figured out. Will post back up when it is all said and done. I know I need way more than the transmission, believe me lol. Don't forget, I've Eaton swapped my car and done a number of other things, I'm far from stupid. :lol1: The GKN's are in and I will probably be picking up the trans, and other parts, later in December.

My reasoning now for getting rid of the T45 is, might as well while I can still sell it in working condition. And the T56 conversion I'm getting is very cheap. :)

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
From a company that sells them? Too much. They're around $3,000 I think from D and D or something... I'm not even paying half of that.

Mt Twigbert

Established Member
When this thread started it made my mind up about getting a Promo tranny.. Thus, I bought a broken 3650 off the net and had it shipped to Promo..

$2,200 for the the tranny, rebuild, shifter and shipping..

I just picked it up today and it's still in the back of the van untill my brother comes over to help unload it..

PIC-0035.gif

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
When this thread started it made my mind up about getting a Promo tranny.. Thus, I bought a broken 3650 off the net and had it shipped to Promo..

$2,200 for the the tranny, rebuild, shifter and shipping..

I just picked it up today and it's still in the back of the van untill my brother comes over to help unload it..

PIC-0035.gif

I would be going PMP as well...however the deal on this T56 + what I can sell my stock t45 = under $1,000. If that wasn't the case, I'd have a PMP T45 going in it.

Users who are viewing this thread