Transformation of my 2003 Cobra

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
I have had my 03 DSG for about 4.5-5 years now. When I bought it, it was bone stock with a catback, but had a slight tick. It never got louder and instead of fixing it i bought a whipple and all supporting mods :lol:. I figured while I was doing everything, headers head cooling mod etc. I might as well pull the motor and do it right. I had the heads gone through with bronze valve guides and freshened up. Low and behold after the motor was back in and started, the car still ticked. I was very very upset, however a whipple with 21psi was LIGHT years faster than my eaton. From there I got greedy and wanted to see how fast i could make it with an automatic. After 3 failed Lentechs( unsure if it was the bauman software, the used transmissions or my tuner at the time) and 8k in burnt up transmissions i decided to go back to the six speed and a Mcleod twin disk. Shortly after this i deployed for 7 months. Now since i have been back almost 2 years, i sold the ticking motor ( which turned out to be a piston skirt! who knew) And i bought Blown verts built high compression motor. ( 10.2:1). I decided to go with 2.2 KB, a return style fuel system, and all my previous bolt ons. The car is just getting finished up in time for winter :bash: But if i can get it tuned and drive it just one or two times i will be happy. The motor is in, fuel system ran, and all that is left is simple sensors, and the exhaust to be bolted up, then the clutch break in and tune. Just thought i would show what i have been up to the last 10 months almost! The positive side is i guess that when spring rolls around, it will be PERFECT! :beer: enjoy. Pictures will go from my old setup, progressing to the most recent.

Specs are currently:
Teksid Aluminum block 0.020" over 284ci 10.2:1 Compression
cobra forged crank
Manley H Beams
Manley flat tops
ARP main studs
APR 2000 rod bolts
race bearings throughout

Heads:
fresh 03-04 cobra heads
Comp Beehive springs
Comp retainers
FR500 camshafts

Induction:
KB 2.2 blower
JLT high boost intake-

trans:
mcloud RTX twin disk
fidanza flywheel and firewall adjuster
26 spline libtery gear input shaft
steeda tri ax shifter-

Fuel:
Moroso sumped tank
Eliminator pump and filters
80lb injectors
-12/-10 teflon line
aeromotive fuel rails
Paxton fuel pressure regulator

suspension:
IRS brace
cut springs

Exhaust:
Stainlessworks headers- 3 inch
Stainless works X pipe- 3 inch

2.5 inch MAC catback

HID 8000k's

17933_314680552552_502392552_4119018_7226205_n.jpg

17933_314680542552_502392552_4119017_3610518_n.jpg

17933_314681942552_502392552_4119025_6798739_n.jpg

37976_433844702552_502392552_5420726_3863350_n.jpg

03 Steve and some help Running some diagnostics to figure out what was wrong with the old motor!

photo-1.jpg

out with the old

photo-2.jpg

photo-4.jpg

photo-5.jpg

photo-7.jpg

photo-9.jpg

almost forgot...stripped the head with a crappy header bolt. had to heli- coil it! I was freaked out haha.

photo-8.jpg

New motor in, Fuel lines ran. The Aeromotive rails did NOT fit with the 2.2 so i had to do some HEAVY grinding. I still have to pull them back off to re anodize them.
photo.jpg

went with some 11 inch widened saleens, and 345 BFGs.
photo-10.jpg

Just need to finish the fuel lines....bolt up the exhaust and buy seats as well as get a base tune to drive it on. Hopefully It will start before the month is out!

photo-11.jpg

photo-12.jpg

Thats it for now, i will keep adding until it is done. I dont care if it is the middle of november and 3 degrees out. I will wax it, detail it and pamper it considering it has not been on the road in almost 10 months. WAY too much money and time for it not to be driven! Between two jobs, school and the national guard, i barely get any time to work on it.

I almost forgot to add..I will be running it on E85, so im hoping for some impressive numbers with the compression and 2.2 blower!

thanks for looking guys. Im pumped! :beer:

Last edited:

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
Thanks man. How is yours coming? its funny that back in April i thought I was "almost done" Between moving into a new house, starting a new job and just life in general, next thing i know...it is almost October!!!!

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
I thought i was selling the car at one point....and i sold it to a friend. The 2.2 was rebuilt and is the loud version. nasty! and i love the sound. IMO the power difference is negligable at best...and i should still make 700 rwhp.To each his own. Boost is boost.

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
Why on Earth did you get rid of a Whipple and buy a KB, a 2.2L at that? LOL

also one thing i am aiming for is big power with lower boost, so the size of the blower makes no difference. For example, if you look up 03 Steves setup( here in St louis) he has a 2.3 whipple ( my old blower) and with a TON of work in cam degree, tuning....MORE tuning...and a higher compression...on a very low boost...hes making just as much as guys running 2.6 blowers with higher boost applications. Just goes to show, "big blowers" are not the only way to make great power. If i can make 700-725 at a moderate boost level and less stress on the motor....( lower temps as well) i will have a constant steady stream of power. The problem with bigger blowers and little to no money into cooling....is sure they make great power..but what about when IAT temps skyrocket? hello large decrease in performance.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
After looking at the photos and reading your comments, Dave, I'm really impressed. And I can see why you are so anxious to drive this even if it's winter. Now all you need to do is heat your garage like I did so that you can detail it year round. I even added hot/cold water to wash the car when the temps outside are above freezing. ;-)

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
After looking at the photos and reading your comments, Dave, I'm really impressed. And I can see why you are so anxious to drive this even if it's winter. Now all you need to do is heat your garage like I did so that you can detail it year round. I even added hot/cold water to wash the car when the temps outside are above freezing. ;-)

thanks a ton! that means a lot. Yes....im really hoping for a lighter winter...last winter here in IL we had snow on the ground for a few months straight. I dont mind snow, as long as its melted and the roads are clear again in a week :lol1:

Spitfire_GT

Back in the saddle
Established Member
Great summary of your work. It makes it seem so easy when you post up in such an easygoing way, but I know that little post covers a helluva lot of time working and cussing. You've got a beautiful ride with a stout powerplant. A definite highwater mark in the SVT world.

zeusha

Established Member
Nice build and documentation. Always great for those years down the line when you get into the "I had this car" arguments with people and you don't look like one of those people with just stories lol. I HATE THAT. "O you have a nice car but I owned a 00 Cobra "R" with a stroker and twin turbos" then you ask what happened to it? and get "Well, I had to sell it cause I had kids and was the noble thing to do" have any pics? "No" MAN SHUT UP!

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
Great summary of your work. It makes it seem so easy when you post up in such an easygoing way, but I know that little post covers a helluva lot of time working and cussing. You've got a beautiful ride with a stout powerplant. A definite highwater mark in the SVT world.

thanks a ton. Yah.....you are VERY right about that my friend. SO many times i have spent hours on a single problem....hunting it down...etc. etc.
Sometimes buying parts specifically for the car is also harder than it sounds. Buying used parts, like a crank pulley can be lost in translation, then the next thing i know i was sent the wrong pulley because the seller did not understand what i was wanting to buy haha. Little things like that add up. I will say as well....if you are going to do an aeromotive system...save the hassle and BUY it pre made. Peicing the whole thing together can be very time consuming and anger filled! I learned a LOT...but hunting down fittings, and ORB fittings especially can make you very upset when you realize there is a "better way" than what you bought. :bash: Dealing with a clutch that needed to be resurfaced( guys at mcleoud cut me a deal) and my stripped header bolts/head threads was a frightful ordeal as well! In the end...it will all be worth the time and patience( and $$$$) put in. Cannot WAIT to go WOT.

svtmemo

Established Member
Awesome build man, it's going to be a beast. Question, i noticed the steering colum gauge pod in one of the pics, is it a wideband?? if so which one is it, i've been looking for one with blue lighting, thanks.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
That is an awesome transformation! Congrats on the build, car looks and sounds mean as Hell. Can't wait to see the later progress and some vids of this beast!

Users who are viewing this thread