Tranny issues have got me down!

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
^^^no the 07-09 transmission is totally different as far as grinding and misshifts go, i had 2 07s one with a pro 50 the other stock, never EVER gave me a shifting problem...jump into my 2011 and wala the grinding noise comes out...i get aggravated when the 07-09 guys say their trannys are fine..it does not happen in your body style in my opinion..

Poppacapp

Established Member
So what you're saying is. Every transmission manufacture in the world can't make a second gear synchro that works.

Because if you Google it, you'll find complaints on second gear grind on every car ever made and I just got lucky and got one that does ? Whatever.

My car use to grind like a mofo, until I fixed it and it didn't require any trans work. But one of the biggest problems with second gear grind is, its the hardest gear to shift and it takes the most abuse from the driver. So second gear syncros don't last long.

The problem is not with the synchros. Its with the stupid remote shifter setup. The problem primarily happens during wheelspin..the shifter arm gets out of line with the shift gate causing the grinding. I dont have issues when i dont have wheelspin.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
^^^no the 07-09 transmission is totally different as far as grinding and misshifts go, i had 2 07s one with a pro 50 the other stock, never EVER gave me a shifting problem...jump into my 2011 and wala the grinding noise comes out...i get aggravated when the 07-09 guys say their trannys are fine..it does not happen in your body style in my opinion..

That's kind of silly if you have done any tranny work. Because Tremec only makes two type synchro's , one is a coarse tooth and a fine tooth. Plus they make two blocking rings, one is brass and one is carbon. They both shift the same. One thing that is different is the clutch.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member

I somewhat agree with you. The only time I heard there was a ginding issue in a 07-09 GT500 it was because of the drag issue with the stock clutch. It seems to be a real problem with the 10+ GT500s that Ford needs to look into. My '07 does not grind, even while shifting during wheel spin.

EDIT: I found this online...
since late 2010, all OEM replacement transmissions and parts are being sent out with the carbon lined syncro's. the 2007-2009 transmissions had a brass syncro lining, the 2010 and 2011 had some sort of a brass alloy mixture. these are the ones that fail. if you have a 2007-09 with 2nd gear issues, it is most likely a result of the clutch/input shaft tsb

Last edited:

RIO RED SNAKE

Established Member
That's kind of silly if you have done any tranny work. Because Tremec only makes two type synchro's , one is a coarse tooth and a fine tooth. Plus they make two blocking rings, one is brass and one is carbon. They both shift the same. One thing that is different is the clutch.

Listen, i am not saying a i rebuilt trannys, i specifically said that the 07-09 do NOT do it (grind) under any spinning circumstance like the 2010+ do...i had a 07 with 1500 miles and a 07 with 38k miles and 580 whp and i would melt tire 1-3rd with no transmission grinds or hints of fighting gear changes with wheel spin speed above 100mph..whereas my 2011 fights me and grinds like a little piggy with even the smallest hint of wheelspin and a quick shift to the next gear. PROOF Below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t82QIphPW6g

AND
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xMFpKp252w

I somewhat agree with you. The only time I heard there was a ginding issue in a 07-09 GT500 it was because of the drag issue with the stock clutch. It seems to be a real problem with the 10+ GT500s that Ford needs to look into. My '07 does not grind, even while shifting during wheel spin.

since late 2010, all OEM replacement transmissions and parts are being sent out with the carbon lined syncro's. the 2007-2009 transmissions had a brass syncro lining, the 2010 and 2011 had some sort of a brass alloy mixture. these are the ones that fail. if you have a 2007-09 with 2nd gear issues, it is most likely a result of the clutch/input shaft tsb

^^ Interesting.... and agreed, same ehre as far as the drag issue, i never had a problem banging a gear hard during wheelspin in any 07-09 until i got my 2011... but i agree with Poppacap that is has something to do with the remote shifter..

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

Good info. Good to know one of the issues the 10-12 have

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I have an 07' and have had a heckuva time getting it into 2nd gear with hard driving, with and without wheel spin. So is this a "clutch drag" issue? And, what is "clutch drag"? Have had no issues with the clutch at all, except for possibly this.

APMECH

Established Member
How I fixed the 2 issues with my 2012:
1. Shift lockout was solved with MGW shifter, and learning to shift it correctly (torquing/alignment issue of stock setup).
2. 1-2 grind was solved by swapping out clutch/brake fluid with better fluid and bleeding it correctly. I added a stainless line and it still had the exact same issue until I bled the crap out of it. If you see your fluid resevoir has signs of leakage around the cap, that's a sign of air in the sys expanding from the heat.
I'm positive the stainless line did absolutely nothing but lighten my wallet.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I have an 07' and have had a heckuva time getting it into 2nd gear with hard driving, with and without wheel spin. So is this a "clutch drag" issue? And, what is "clutch drag"? Have had no issues with the clutch at all, except for possibly this.

If your running the stock clutch this could be you issue.the 07-09 when fully warm should not have the issue of getting into gears if it does the clutch should be changed with a new slave and new brake fluid with new amsoil fluid in the tranny.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member

Have you ever noticed, if you believe something to be true, if you look hard enough on line you can find someone that believes it to.

So let me make sure I have this right. 2010/2011's come with a magic second gear syncros that locks you out at high rpm's in second gear "only" No other gear but second ?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
If your running the stock clutch this could be you issue.the 07-09 when fully warm should not have the issue of getting into gears if it does the clutch should be changed with a new slave and new brake fluid with new amsoil fluid in the tranny.
I already changed out my transmission fluid and really didn't get any improvement. The kicker to the clutch being the culprit is that it only occurs with the 1st to 2nd shift and none of the others. Wouldn't it affect all shifts if it was the clutch?

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
The only difference between 1st and 2nd gear shift and the rest of the shifts as far as the transmission goes is, 1st and 2nd gears have the biggest gear ratio gap.

So any clutch drag would cause it to be harder to shift and more noticeable in the 1/2 shift. Also shift timing is a lot more critical in the 1/2 shift because of the gear ratio gap. If it was a syncro it would be consistent, and you would miss or grind the shift every time.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I already changed out my transmission fluid and really didn't get any improvement. The kicker to the clutch being the culprit is that it only occurs with the 1st to 2nd shift and none of the others. Wouldn't it affect all shifts if it was the clutch?

Some of the early 07s did not get lubed properly on the inputshaft and retainer which caused rust which in turn was causing some slaves to stick since it could not properly slide. Causing the 1-2 issues and which ford had to replace some trannys syncos.

busabruce

Established Member
I have driven another 10 GT500 that had the fix done (My Cousins) and it shifts like butter. I have owned many manual cars and have raced all of them. I've never had so many problems getting into 2nd gear as I have the TR3650 and TR6060. The D&D updated tranny with many upgraded parts worked fine after I spent a lot of time at the dealer trying to get it fixed. It took me spending a lot of money on an aftermarket piece to fix the issue. Many owners of this transmission have the problem and we all can't be bad drivers...can we? I would expect a lot more out of a purpose built muscle car.

RIO RED SNAKE

Established Member
Have you ever noticed, if you believe something to be true, if you look hard enough on line you can find someone that believes it to.

So let me make sure I have this right. 2010/2011's come with a magic second gear syncros that locks you out at high rpm's in second gear "only" No other gear but second ?

My car grinds 3rd as well if i whack it hard enough during wheel spin...so heres an idea, sell your car, pony up and buy a 2010-2012 and go do a 1-2 whack and then hit third as quick as possible while spinning and see what happens...if it does not grind or fight you at all, then you sir are the magical driver..

Also, why does it have to be magic, this is not a problem that is in only 1 or 2 2010+ shelbys, this is in 90% of them, you can not grasp it because you do not own a 2010+..it is that simple, something is different over the 07-09 cars plain and simple..

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
My car grinds 3rd as well if i whack it hard enough during wheel spin...so heres an idea, sell your car, pony up and buy a 2010-2012 and go do a 1-2 whack and then hit third as quick as possible while spinning and see what happens...if it does not grind or fight you at all, then you sir are the magical driver..

Also, why does it have to be magic, this is not a problem that is in only 1 or 2 2010+ shelbys, this is in 90% of them, you can not grasp it because you do not own a 2010+..it is that simple, something is different over the 07-09 cars plain and simple..

I never said they don't have a problem. I just said its not the transmission. Its either a clutch problem or driver error. One or the other, unless you have already done damage to the synchro's. So I don't need to buy one, I believe you.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
All of my post have been to help the OP. I'm saying he needs to do the test I posted first. If it has no clutch drag, I would try a WOT box. If he still has a problem with a WOT box. I would buy a good racing clutch and have a professionally installed. Your telling him he needs a new trans and I disagree.

Poppacapp

Established Member
How I fixed the 2 issues with my 2012:
1. Shift lockout was solved with MGW shifter, and learning to shift it correctly (torquing/alignment issue of stock setup).
2. 1-2 grind was solved by swapping out clutch/brake fluid with better fluid and bleeding it correctly. I added a stainless line and it still had the exact same issue until I bled the crap out of it. If you see your fluid resevoir has signs of leakage around the cap, that's a sign of air in the sys expanding from the heat.
I'm positive the stainless line did absolutely nothing but lighten my wallet.

The only way to bleed our clutch system is to pump the pedal many many times.

Poppacapp

Established Member
All of my post have been to help the OP. I'm saying he needs to do the test I posted first. If it has no clutch drag, I would try a WOT box. If he still has a problem with a WOT box. I would buy a good racing clutch and have a professionally installed. Your telling him he needs a new trans and I disagree.

Here are things I have done to mine to try to fix the 1-2 grind:

MGW shifter
Joe Heck Racing stainless clutch line
McCleod RXT clutch/flywheel with 07-09 slave cylinder
CHE K-member brace with torque limiters
Mobil-1 ATF fluid

All of the above did ZERO to fix the issue. So count clutch out as the problem. Synchros are not the problem either, or it would grind even under normal driving.

I have a WOT box sitting in my trunk uninstalled, along with Steeda Poly motor mounts. Was going to try these next, but I think I will just be getting rid of the car.

Users who are viewing this thread