Tranny issues have got me down!

busabruce

Established Member
I have a 2010 GT500 and love everything about the car! It's my dream car! My only issue is that I can't get it into 2nd gear for nothing! I've replaced the fluid in the tranny with Amsoil, swapped the shifter with a MGW, the dealer replaced the clutch and flywheel under warranty and I still have the issue. My service dept refuses to acknowledge the issue even though I was able to replicate it on a test drive for them. It's upsetting that Ford has so many transmissions with the same issue but no fix. I know it's a common problem because I've read it on this and a few other forums. I sent one last email to Ford Customer Service in hopes they step up before I spend a couple thousand on a replacement transmission.

Just venting, thanks for listening!

tvspower

Established Member
I feel your PAIN...... Ford has screwed alot of us from 07 to now.... And they expect us to go CRAZY over the 2015 ... Shuch BS

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I had the clutch replaced and tranny rebuilt under warranty, but I think a big part of the problem is trying to shift into 2nd while the rear wheels are spinning (low traction). With my theory, a healthy tranny wouldn't grind with good traction and a quick shift.

Reis racing

Established Member
I took a brand new coyote for a ride at the dealer and I had issue banging gears, then I bought my used gt500 and same issue, so I replaced the whole tranny setup to the magnum t56 and I love it a lot better. I think it's the whole linkage shifter setup that I hated.

busabruce

Established Member
I've heard about the WOT box before. It has something to do with an internal lock out that the box will eliminate....right? Where do I get one?

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
n2mbracing.com go on youtube and watch a few videos and google what they do..basically circumvents the issue and the reason you can not hit second is because the wheels are spinning faster than the shaft speed in the trans causing uneven speed matching and therefore fighting and grinding..

busabruce

Established Member
Makes sense. I ordered one from their site. I did read a thread a while back on a Camaro forum about a similar device that fixed on drivers issue. I actually had a 10 SS with the same tranny and did not have any issue.

I did notice that I can shift at high rpms as long as the wheels are not spinning. I've wanted to take my car to the track to get some numbers on it but knew this would be an issue. If this is the fix I owe you guys a beer.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I never really had this problem in my 08 even with the stock clutch. it was notchy when cold but when fully warmed its been great. I don't hear too many 2010 owners complain it seems the most were the 2011-2012. the 07-09 guys had known clutch failures but once you get a real clutch in there like a RXT tranny seems to work better

Stri8ed

Killer
Established Member
I never really had this problem in my 08 even with the stock clutch. it was notchy when cold but when fully warmed its been great. I don't hear too many 2010 owners complain it seems the most were the 2011-2012. the 07-09 guys had known clutch failures but once you get a real clutch in there like a RXT tranny seems to work better

I have never missed a shift in my 08. I did have to replace the clutch, but I'd rather do that then have the dreaded 1-2 grind.

Larsonator

Established Member
To everyone that always suggests the WOT box....what are you thinking this is going to do to solve grinding or locking out of second when you're on the street trying to shift when you're not actually at WOT, just at 6k? The box is only going to help you shift with the ignition delay when at WOT. Unless you're planning to lay down 300 feet of rubber, you're not shifting into second under WOT with street tires.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
Its most likely clutch drag. This is a well engineered trans. The way to check for clutch drag is, rev the engine up to high rpm's with e-brake off, foot off of brake and see if it shifts without any movement of your car. Also no notchy feel. If it checks out, its your shift timing and a WOT box is your best bet.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
IIRC Ford started building their transmissions in China in 2010 or 2011. That is when the problems started.

busabruce

Established Member
I know for a fact that all Tremec TR6060 have the problem in Corvettes, Camaros, Challengers, and Mustangs.

The funny thing is I had the same problem in my 03 Mach 1 with the TR 3650. I fixed the problem when I replaced it with a D&D built 3650 $2500 later. Ford replaced the tranny under warranty one time and no matter what it still would grind 2nd and 3rd. My GT500 only does it in 2nd and I only have the problem at high RPMS. I've seen the parts list for the fix and it involves replacing the syncros with a different material than stock. I've done a lot of research on this and it sucks that I know my dealer back home would fix it no problem. I would have to drive 3200 miles to get it done. For that I will just buy a performance tranny here.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
Why does mine shift fine @ 7000 RPM's ?

Because I know how to shift, and I have a good racing clutch that was installed correctly.

Nothing wrong with this trans. Its one of the best/easiest shifting transmissions I've ever owned and it will take some serious abuse. That's a fact.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Why does mine shift fine @ 7000 RPM's ?

Because I know how to shift, and I have a good racing clutch that was installed correctly.

Nothing wrong with this trans. Its one of the best/easiest shifting transmissions I've ever owned and it will take some serious abuse. That's a fact.

No.. that fact is that you are one of the lucky few who have a good shifting tranny. You honestly think ALL of these GT500 owners who are having this issue can't drive? Teach us oh master. :nonono:

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
No.. that fact is that you are one of the lucky few who have a good shifting tranny. You honestly think ALL of these GT500 owners who are having this issue can't drive? Teach us oh master. :nonono:

So what you're saying is. Every transmission manufacture in the world can't make a second gear synchro that works.

Because if you Google it, you'll find complaints on second gear grind on every car ever made and I just got lucky and got one that does ? Whatever.

My car use to grind like a mofo, until I fixed it and it didn't require any trans work. But one of the biggest problems with second gear grind is, its the hardest gear to shift and it takes the most abuse from the driver. So second gear syncros don't last long.

Users who are viewing this thread