Trailer winch

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
How are you guys setting up your winch for your car trailer? I had to rescue someone and didn't have a winch which made it a pain in the ass to load. I have ordered my winch and have an idea of how I want to mount it but I figured I would get the SVTP opinion... Pics are welcome as long as the pizz doesn't mind. I don't have pics of my trailer that's why I started it in roadside...

jfsram

Established Member
If you just want to have one on standby for the odd, non runner. A big manual winch is fine. Mount it low so it's out of the way but you can still spin the handle.

If you go "all out" send a charge wire through the trailer plug. Set up the trailer with a deep cycle battery and an electric winch. Remote operation.

With either set up. Always set the tongue jack so the trailer is tilted back. This will give you predictable control as you winch forward. Without the jack, as the car gets forward enough to get into the tongue weight. Sometimes the trailer tilts forward as the tow vehicle's springs compress and the car will roll forward all on it's own.

coposrv

Established Member
^^^^^ Really good tips right there. What size winch do you recommend for a full size car / light pickup?

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
I went above and beyond the capacity of the winch but if I have to pull something that is being stubborn I wanted the extra capacity. I got a 12500 lb waterproof winch with a wireless controller and wired controller.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Also depending where you live get a removable one that you can take on and off the trailer. Around here someone would snatch it up and run with it. Always go with a little bigger sized winch. I like the 12,500 lb winch.

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
I don't have to worry around me plus if I want I can keep the trailer in the garage which is what I'll do this winter. One of the reasons I want to mount it in the tool box is so I can lock the box and keep my straps and stuff all on the trailer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Buddy of mine bought a mount that slides into the 2" receiver on the hitch.

He then had a Receiver welded onto the trailers.

Power is wired to a plug at the rear.

This way he can take the winch with him off roading or pull people out, etc...

Then just slide it into the trailer one when he needs it.
This
Front Mount Trailer Hitch Receiver Winch Mounting Plate Draw-Tite Accessories and Parts 6495

and similar to this,
Trailer winch mount - The Garage Journal Board

Just google receiver winch mount

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I have a Warn 9.5ti on their mulit-mount that I can mount in the rear and front receivers on my F150, and my brother put a receiver on the front his car trailer so that we can load cars on it with the winch, comes in VERY handy that way.

very similar to this setup

Winch.jpg

Kove

Established Member
I've got a 5,000 lb Harbor Freight winch that I bolted to the floor of my trailer, through the wood and the floor bracing. I wish I would've mounted it a little higher but it works. The wiring is also run through the floor to the toolbox on the tongue where my battery is. I still need to run a charge wire from the truck. I also have a remote setup that plugs into a spot on the left side of the trailer and can reach almost to the back of the trailer. You can kind of see the plug for the remote on the front corner in the second pic.
yvy7aqa6.jpg

te3ade2u.jpg

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
well the engineer in me came out. I got the winch and decided that this is the way I'm going to go.

BOX.jpg

It's going to cost some money but there is no reason for me to get a new car trailer, I know how it's going to be wired and I doubt anyone will need to use the trailer without my supervision.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
That is a very nice setup. I've been thinking about building a custom in-floor mounted system for the SVTP trailer.

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
That would be cool to see. I want the tool box so when I travel I can have the straps right there and have my small tool box inside. unfortunately, I can't open my tail gate with the trailer attached because if the jack so that might be addressed too when I mount this all up...

Sirl

Established Member
Reviving...
Did mine up today.
Hope its strong enough, I went with a Smitty, 4000lb.

I wanted mine easily removable as well, so, we made a hitch/receiver deal. Welded it all up. Will try it with the car soon.

No idea how to wire it up. I was thinking, if I have a good "starter box", like 900 cranking amps, I can just use that??

Weld3_zpse60f0108.gif

Weld4_zps3e228531.gif

Weld11_zpse620093e.gif

Weld13_zpse11b564b.gif

Sirl

Established Member
Thanks...
again, just hoping 4000lbs is enough grunt to get it up the ramps.. Im thinking it should be.

jfsram

Established Member
4000lbs will get it up there. If you run across anything that gives you are problem like a seized brake on your trailered car you can always use a snatch block as a doubler to get it up the ramp.

Sirl

Established Member
Hey gang,
Finally got to test out my new Winch setup today.

Happy to say, all worked flawlessly... Including my Tow Hook..
which can be found at Race Car Tow Hooks (selfish plug :)

4000lb winch does the job just fine.
If I had to do it again, I'd probably get a 5k, just for extra comfort.

Made it a total one man job.
Plug and Play!

Winch to load car - YouTube

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
Bringing back an old thread but i started working on this a little bit since work slowed down and i had some material laying around. I opted not to change up my toolbox, instead im adding a piece of c-6 channel so the front of the box has something to sit on and i decided that im going to mount the spare tire to the front of the box instead of throwing it in the bed of the truck every time i hook to the trailer. Plus i don't want to forget to throw it in. Im going to put the winch and battery inside the box along with the straps and possibly a cheap set of tools. Im also welding a jack to the side of the trailer so it can be removed during towing and i can open my tailgate. Anyway here are the pics of it mocked up... Let me know what you think

20130606_215109_zps7a2c5cb7.jpg

20130606_212036_zps303b8d72.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread