Traction headaches continue, what next?

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Not nessicary at all for a 17. A 15 will require minor trimming of the caliper.

Don't let anyone fool you by saying its difficult or unsafe.

What size are you running again?

Looks like a 15x8 with 5.5 backspacing will clear the rear Cobra brakes with no problem, as I thought. Did a bit of research and it looks like the caliper nor anything else needs to be trimmed with that wheel.

I'm looking at the summit racing fast five wheels, they are 1 piece aluminum
15x8", 5.5 bs, 5x4.50

and some mt et street drag radials 275/50/15 to keep it 26"

What do you guys think? Would like to order at the end of the week as my christmas gift to myself XD lol

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
What size are you running again?

Looks like a 15x8 with 5.5 backspacing will clear the rear Cobra brakes with no problem, as I thought. Did a bit of research and it looks like the caliper nor anything else needs to be trimmed with that wheel.

I'm looking at the summit racing fast five wheels, they are 1 piece aluminum
15x8", 5.5 bs, 5x4.50

and some mt et street drag radials 275/50/15 to keep it 26"

What do you guys think? Would like to order at the end of the week as my christmas gift to myself XD lol

If so, ill be there to get your oem fr500s
:lol:
But anyhow I think you would be more than happy with a mt et street or something seeing as how you don't really use it much for daily commuting anymore

chromeyellosnak

Established Member
I thinki figured out your problem.... Are you sure.you have drag radial nittos? Im wondering if you have just nittos555s. I just made 12 passes today at atco. My best 60 was 1.76 the rest were 1.86-1.88 . I never spun second and I'm running 13.0 considerably faster than you. I can't see how its physically possible for a stock cobra to blow drag radials off till 7000 rpm. Im leaving at 5-6000 rpm with barely any tire spun and I'm on lowering springs and stock 86,000 mile struts and shocks. I blow through street tires the way your talking about blowing off drag radials and I have 4.30's.. and I think you may be one legging as well. There's just no explanation , even your mph isn't suggesting that your spinning that bad. Typically the more you spin the higher your mph. My second fastest run tonight was when I blew the tires off from a bad launch.

epracmetcon

Established Member
Ah, yeah I could see that with IRS. I still have my SRA. Yeah I have heard that before, but never about the 40psi on the fronts. Good tip! Yeah I plan to sell the bullitt wheel and get a better wheel. I was going to go on the cheap and just buy a v6 wheel but can't find any locally. So I figured I'd need a wheel with 5.5" backspacing to clear everything out back?

Oh my bad, I must have read that wrong. I think I will too, I just need to decide what wheel and what size tire. svtpete said he ran nothing fancier than a 275 MT ET street on a 17x8 wheel and was very pleased. Is it necessary to get a say a 15" wheel?

How will it not? Research I've done leads me to believe it will if it is off drastically. I could be wrong though. Yeah first gear is definitely driver error; only my 3rd time at the track and never really raced before that ha. But that doesn't explain second gear spinning all the way to 7k. Yeah I originally got the 555R bc it was my daily, but its not anymore so I'm in need of MT ET streets.

If it is severely off..maaaayyybe. But I doubt it, all pinion angle being off will do is cause a potential binding in the driveshaft u-joints when under load. If you got the adjustable lowers close to what the stock lower length is, then the pinion angle will be close. It will not effect traction..at all.

Are you shifting into 2nd while it is still spinning in first? Thats probably your issue with it spinning into 2nd gear. I could make a nitto 275 hook from a stoplight with bolt on's and 100 shot on my 97 with the only suspension was lowering springs.

Driver error.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
If so, ill be there to get your oem fr500s
:lol:
But anyhow I think you would be more than happy with a mt et street or something seeing as how you don't really use it much for daily commuting anymore
Hahhaa I can't get rid of those! The bullitts are going bye bye though. Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking.
I'm running a 15x10. 275/50/15.

ET Streets are complete beasts.
Awesome good to hear, that's what I'm going for.

I thinki figured out your problem.... Are you sure.you have drag radial nittos? Im wondering if you have just nittos555s. I just made 12 passes today at atco. My best 60 was 1.76 the rest were 1.86-1.88 . I never spun second and I'm running 13.0 considerably faster than you. I can't see how its physically possible for a stock cobra to blow drag radials off till 7000 rpm. Im leaving at 5-6000 rpm with barely any tire spun and I'm on lowering springs and stock 86,000 mile struts and shocks. I blow through street tires the way your talking about blowing off drag radials and I have 4.30's.. and I think you may be one legging as well. There's just no explanation , even your mph isn't suggesting that your spinning that bad. Typically the more you spin the higher your mph. My second fastest run tonight was when I blew the tires off from a bad launch.
lol are you serious? No offense, but that's an offensive sentence lol. Yes, would you like a picture of them? I don't mean to come off as a DB but damn that was cold. Great 60's man, driver mod forsure. I can't see it either but its happening. This track does suck as far as prepping though. Damn leaving at 5-6k rpm?! That's awesome. On the same 555R's I have? What do you mean by one legging? Never heard that term. If you see the slip a few posts above you can see what's going on. 1/8 is always 9++ due to that spinning. Yeah, I see what you mean. But it is happening no doubt, or else this thread would be useless. I'll record my passes on January 4th when I go. Definitely need to work on my launching though.

And once again, your shocks are in working order?
Yes, sir. They are perfectly fine, I've been through many shock strut set ups on the cobra and my GT, I know when they are done. I actually have 2 different sets of blown ones in my attic right now lol some tokico blue craps and illuminas.

Users who are viewing this thread