Traction headaches continue, what next?

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
For spinning as bad as you are aren't you cutting a pretty good 60foot still?
Do you have any friends with slicks you can try out?

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Like mark said disconnect the front sway... I removed mine as its just dead weight on the front and on a big and little setup the car still handles fine.. Just don't try to road course it... Mine is lowered on h n r springs and I have pulled a 1.76 60'

I don't think mine transferred as well as marks picture shows, but ima assume his car wasn't lowered In the pic judging by the amount of transfer. They say the stock springs r real good for dragging in, just no one likes the 4x4 stance.. Make sure your shocks/ struts in the rear r no to stiff preventing the weight from transferring... Good set or adjustable shocks will help ya out there.

Best advice I can say, is get a buddy, girlfriend, son or someone to video u close up from the side when u run at the track so u can see how the car reacts when u do launch. And go from there
Good advice like ATL and Mark suggested. I will definitely be doing that. And no I know its not a great handler after removing the sway bar lol. You have the super sport springs as well and cut the 1.76? This is what I'm talking about, why isn't anyone else spinning. Neither is NVRL8TE on here and he has the same set up.

No, it doesn't look lowered. It certainly did you well though with that 60. Mark did it on nittos apparently. Yes, I have read into the stock springs in the rear for drag racing. Yeah the car looks horrendous right now at stock height. Well I have bilsteins and they're not adjustable, these are the only ones I've tried that have held up to being lowered. I would like some lakewoods but don't want to just throw money at it. I might test the rear shocks idea by putting in some tokico blues I have sitting around.

Someone actually did record some of the runs from the side, and you can actually see what looks like no weight transfer. Almost looks like the front rising (no I don't mean a wheel stand nor anything like Marks pic above lol), than slams down and than the spinning starts. Like there is no weight transfer to the rear. Let me see if I can get the video.

Ok when you start spining off the line do you pedal it or just stay in it? If you stay in it then I can see why you spin threw 2nd.

As far as wheel hop with lower control arms and aftermarket shocks I think your shocks are bad.
I stay in it, but I don't ever mash it of course after it starts spinning. I just progressively release the clutch and keep the gas where it was. After it grabs than I mash it. I spin threw second if I stay in it, but it shouldn't be spinning in second with my mods regardless.

I would hope not, they're less than a year old. The car handles quite nice, there is no excessive bounciness or anything that would alarm bad shocks. I've been through my share of bad shocks, these feel good as new. It only happened when I switched over to the stock springs. I can test the shock idea by swapping them out for a pair of tokico blues I have here.

Good entire post, but I'm just going to quote this part. You are doing the waterbox and burnout part correctly imo. It sounds like you launch and can drive it in first gear well enough when you launch right, but for some reason it really is the second gear shift that's killing you. I don't even think the pinion angle is the problem. It's funny that you say it doesnt happen on the street, only the track. Go to Speedworld its fun. Some nights are stickier than others. See if you can go the same night an event is happening and they alternate test and tune and the event. They prep real well for the event and you reap the bennefits lol. Call ahead to make sure.
I think so too. I mean not all my launches are great nor even all that good but some decent 2.1s with 9+ 1/8 mile times due to second gear is killing me. I don't think pinion angle is it either. It does happen on the track, but I don't blow threw second completely. In fact I pulled it out of the garage and took it for a drive, launched and spun badly in second but to 7k. Yeah I may have to make that long drive. And yes I see what you mean; I need to take advantage of those nights. I just looked at their schedule and they do have some of that coming up.

Can you post up your times? Full slip not just MPH amd ET.
Yes sir, I think I may only have the 13.9 and 14.00s since they didn't give me my 13.6 and 13.86 due to no helmet lol. I'll have them up later today.
For spinning as bad as you are aren't you cutting a pretty good 60foot still?
Do you have any friends with slicks you can try out?
Well I wouldn't call 2.0-2.1 a good sixty foot lol especially on drag radials.
No man, I wish I did. I want to try some mt et streets drag radials.

What rear sway bar are you running? Also how fresh is your diff? how old/new are those bilsteins and which bilsteins are they?
The stock rear sway bar. The diff is pretty fresh. Rebuilt t lok, cf clutch packs, new bearings seals, 4.10 gears the whole 9 yards. Less than a year old. The bilsteins are about a year old maybe less. They're definitely not worn out. They're the HD series bilsteins, not the sports or whatever.

stangbanger856

Established Member
We'll it just sounds like you need seat time then. If it starts spining of the line back off and then get back in it. DONT JUST LET IT SPIN. Then grab 2nd and go.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
We'll it just sounds like you need seat time then. If it starts spining of the line back off and then get back in it. DONT JUST LET IT SPIN. Then grab 2nd and go.

I do need seat time for launching, that's forsure. But that doesn't explain second gear spinning. I have tried letting off when it starts spinning in first, it finally grips, than shift into second and starts spinning again. I see what you mean though, if I'm going into second spinning than its still spinning threw second due to going into it spinning. But that's not the case since I have let off before in first.

But I will be practicing more. Too bad the track isn't open but 1 more time for the rest of the year, and I can't make it that night.

98cobraRx

98 Chrome Yellow
Established Member
Pick which springs you want to run front and rear. Depending on what springs you get then get a smaller rear sway bar. I also recommend a set of adjustable shocks and struts.

stangbanger856

Established Member
I do need seat time for launching, that's forsure. But that doesn't explain second gear spinning. I have tried letting off when it starts spinning in first, it finally grips, than shift into second and starts spinning again. I see what you mean though, if I'm going into second spinning than its still spinning threw second due to going into it spinning. But that's not the case since I have let off before in first.

But I will be practicing more. Too bad the track isn't open but 1 more time for the rest of the year, and I can't make it that night.

Only other thing I can think of is your tires are done for. Invest in some MT ET Streets

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Pick which springs you want to run front and rear. Depending on what springs you get then get a smaller rear sway bar. I also recommend a set of adjustable shocks and struts.
I think I'm throwing the super sports back in, can't stand the ultra 4x4 stance. I was reading up on the rear sway bar. Yeah but I spent a lot of money on the bilsteins and ss springs so those are gonna stay for now, it should be able to hook even with these corner carving springs.

Only other thing I can think of is your tires are done for. Invest in some MT ET Streets
The tires actually have good tread, about 80%. But I might have my buddy try them out on his mach at the track, if he can't grip on them than it could be the tires are bad. But yes MT et streets are on my wish list. Headers might come before that though lol

and here's a slip of the 13.9 , the only one I could find. Right lane #298

jq5co0.jpg

A 13.2 pass whupping my friends LS1 Camaro with a passenger in my car.

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums...F-9D61-3687A242CBDB-3422-000002914609B857.mp4

Ah yeah you sent me that vid, such a great pass with such minimal mods.

Last edited:

blkstangman88

Established Member
this is kinda funny, i had bfg street drags. no matter how much i warmed them up i spun. with with bfg 335 street tires and now i spin clutch a little lol kinda interesting. clutch will be upgraded with tranny one day

Chirp5957

Established Member
ditch nittos at the track. i tried for 3 years to get them damn things to stick...i put M/T ET streets on and dropped almost a whole second, do a good burnout with em and then learn where your car likes to launch.

and get the tires first....save yourself the 4-6 hours of headache.

Last edited:

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
ditch nittos at the track. i tried for 3 years to get them damn things to stick...i put M/T ET streets on and dropped almost a whole second, do a good burnout with em and then learn where your car likes to launch.

and get the tires first....save yourself the 4-6 hours of headache.
I think I may just sell them and buy some MT ET streets. Wow, 3 years of no traction, did you figure it was just the car until you tried the MT's?

What size tire were you running and wheel? I'm trying to find a good combo. I have 4.10s so looking for the right size.

Yeah LTs are a headache but I want a little bit more power. Might get a SRI instead, much easier install haha.

Oh and Chirp, if I'm not mistaken you ran/run 12's with bolt on na right?

Do tires first...
I think I just might cave in and buy some. Hearing lots of good things about them. Crazy how you just dumped the clutch at 5k irrc, and still cut a 1.8. That in itself speaks tremendously about those tires.

this is kinda funny, i had bfg street drags. no matter how much i warmed them up i spun. with with bfg 335 street tires and now i spin clutch a little lol kinda interesting. clutch will be upgraded with tranny one day

I've heard those are pretty bad; heard they are a bit too hard compared to the others. A little at a time my friend you'll get to it eventually.

**** So what size tires do you guys recommend? I have the option of mounting them on 17x9 bullitts or 17x10.5 bullitts in the rear. Those are my "track" wheels lol. I have 4.10's. I was looking for a V6 wheel to mount some tires on but nothing pops up here locally.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
I think I may just sell them and buy some MT ET streets. Wow, 3 years of no traction, did you figure it was just the car until you tried the MT's?

What size tire were you running and wheel? I'm trying to find a good combo. I have 4.10s so looking for the right size.

Yeah LTs are a headache but I want a little bit more power. Might get a SRI instead, much easier install haha.

Oh and Chirp, if I'm not mistaken you ran/run 12's with bolt on na right?

I think I just might cave in and buy some. Hearing lots of good things about them. Crazy how you just dumped the clutch at 5k irrc, and still cut a 1.8. That in itself speaks tremendously about those tires.

I've heard those are pretty bad; heard they are a bit too hard compared to the others. A little at a time my friend you'll get to it eventually.

**** So what size tires do you guys recommend? I have the option of mounting them on 17x9 bullitts or 17x10.5 bullitts in the rear. Those are my "track" wheels lol. I have 4.10's. I was looking for a V6 wheel to mount some tires on but nothing pops up here locally.

I ran a 26x10.5-16 on a 16x8 weld wheel. These were on IRS, so i had to get wheels that worked with that. I picked them up local. It will get squirrley above 85-90 mph due to having bias ply in the rear and a radial up front. You can help avoid it by airing up your fronts to like 40-42psi. Just hold the wheel straight and don't try to correct it unless you see yourself really coming out of the groove. Sell the Bullitt wheels and get a real drag wheel.

NVRL8TE

Death or Glory
Established Member
I didn't dump it at 5k, I slipped it, hard.

But get some MT ET's and see what happens. I'll bet you end up happy.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I ran a 26x10.5-16 on a 16x8 weld wheel. These were on IRS, so i had to get wheels that worked with that. I picked them up local. It will get squirrley above 85-90 mph due to having bias ply in the rear and a radial up front. You can help avoid it by airing up your fronts to like 40-42psi. Just hold the wheel straight and don't try to correct it unless you see yourself really coming out of the groove. Sell the Bullitt wheels and get a real drag wheel.
Ah, yeah I could see that with IRS. I still have my SRA. Yeah I have heard that before, but never about the 40psi on the fronts. Good tip! Yeah I plan to sell the bullitt wheel and get a better wheel. I was going to go on the cheap and just buy a v6 wheel but can't find any locally. So I figured I'd need a wheel with 5.5" backspacing to clear everything out back?

I didn't dump it at 5k, I slipped it, hard.

But get some MT ET's and see what happens. I'll bet you end up happy.
Oh my bad, I must have read that wrong. I think I will too, I just need to decide what wheel and what size tire. svtpete said he ran nothing fancier than a 275 MT ET street on a 17x8 wheel and was very pleased. Is it necessary to get a say a 15" wheel?

Pinion angle will not effect traction. If I had to guess, it sounds like a bit of driver error and choice in tire.
How will it not? Research I've done leads me to believe it will if it is off drastically. I could be wrong though. Yeah first gear is definitely driver error; only my 3rd time at the track and never really raced before that ha. But that doesn't explain second gear spinning all the way to 7k. Yeah I originally got the 555R bc it was my daily, but its not anymore so I'm in need of MT ET streets.

NVRL8TE

Death or Glory
Established Member
Not nessicary at all for a 17. A 15 will require minor trimming of the caliper.

Don't let anyone fool you by saying its difficult or unsafe.

Users who are viewing this thread