Totaled with heavy mods

1bad03snake

powered by cold beer
Established Member
Here in texas we have what we call "diminished value" it is the price between trade in of your car the day before the wreck, and the day after you receive the car from the body ship repaired. My old 2012 ram 1500 was hit with 78 miles on the ODO. No joke, by a 17 year old girl texting and driving. Good thing I was raised right as if it were a teenaged boy he would be dead. 35k dollar truck went down to a 22k dollar trade in. I received 11780 and some change, check in hand for the diminished value. ONLY possible because the accident was NOT my fault. Some states have this and some don't. This can be claimed ontop of what ever else you want. If they decide to fix it and you want to get rid of it, or what ever keep this in mind.

Your best bet at keeping the motor would be to just find a FUBAR 5.0 stock block and throw it in there and give it to them before they total it. At the end of the day, I feel bad for you as I have been following your build from day one. Even before I picked up my 5.0... It's sickening and horrible to know the hard work and money into this car and to have it ruined. No way you're going to get all your money back. I would be surprised if you got over half back... One small thing can set you back years bank account wise...

I had a bad curse I recently broke with this new 5.0. I had 3 new vehicles in the past 2 years an f150, a ram 1500, and a new HD sportster. All of them were hit by somebody texting and driving on my side of town while I was sat still at a light or 4 way stop WITH paper plates still on them. Under 1k miles on them. I parked my 5.0 for the first month back in Jan for the three weeks I had paper plates. I even had the fiance drive it home from the dealer for me and park it LOL

You gotta love those deer Park girls... Texting and driving, make up and driving, if they made a plug in curling iron they would do that too.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Uh.. anybody watch the video? This is an old thread, last car's long gone and new one's been here for a few months. I just wanted to put up the vid my buddy did. In memory of it's short life. OK that's pretty cheesy. But it's a cool clip to kind of close out the story.

Chaney5.0

Here in texas we have what we call "diminished value" it is the price between trade in of your car the day before the wreck, and the day after you receive the car from the body ship repaired. My old 2012 ram 1500 was hit with 78 miles on the ODO. No joke, by a 17 year old girl texting and driving. Good thing I was raised right as if it were a teenaged boy he would be dead. 35k dollar truck went down to a 22k dollar trade in. I received 11780 and some change, check in hand for the diminished value. ONLY possible because the accident was NOT my fault. Some states have this and some don't. This can be claimed ontop of what ever else you want. If they decide to fix it and you want to get rid of it, or what ever keep this in mind.

Your best bet at keeping the motor would be to just find a FUBAR 5.0 stock block and throw it in there and give it to them before they total it. At the end of the day, I feel bad for you as I have been following your build from day one. Even before I picked up my 5.0... It's sickening and horrible to know the hard work and money into this car and to have it ruined. No way you're going to get all your money back. I would be surprised if you got over half back... One small thing can set you back years bank account wise...

I had a bad curse I recently broke with this new 5.0. I had 3 new vehicles in the past 2 years an f150, a ram 1500, and a new HD sportster. All of them were hit by somebody texting and driving on my side of town while I was sat still at a light or 4 way stop WITH paper plates still on them. Under 1k miles on them. I parked my 5.0 for the first month back in Jan for the three weeks I had paper plates. I even had the fiance drive it home from the dealer for me and park it LOL

Dimished value means nothing if the car is totaled.

Read the entire post and comprehend it... :fart:

Even though I didn't notice this was an old thread...

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
I appreciate the reply anyway. Going into that situation I had no idea what was going to happen, if I'd ever be able to recover anything at all- it was a rather unsettling experience, and one that cost me several thousand dollars not going about it the *right* way.

roberthamm

Established Member
So what ended up happening? So others like myself could learn from the experience and know how to handle this situation the "right way". :shrug:

LS2GTO

Established Member
So what ended up happening? So others like myself could learn from the experience and know how to handle this situation the "right way". :shrug:

+1...how did it all go down in terms of returning the car back to stock and getting the payout?

I'm interested in this too as most people on here I have some stuff in the car that I would not want to just go with it if it ever gets totalled, so trying to learn from other's experience.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Well, it was a 6-car pileup. I was not at fault at all and one of the only people not ticketed. So I was advised by my agent and a few other in the know people to file the claim with my company as it would get settled faster that way. So that's what I did. My agent told me no problem getting reimbursed for non-recoverable parts (built engine) as long as I had receipts. Well Farmers didn't go along with that. I pulled everything else off the car and submitted all the engine receipts. After many phone calls and unpleasant conversations I was told the most I could get was $1000 for the engine work as it was never added to the policy, didn't add value to the car and was done 'for personal preference'. Somehow, once the wheels were in motion with my company I couldn't stop the process and rely on the at-fault party's insurance to make it right, even though I never signed anything.

So when the dust settled I had all my parts back off but the engine, received a paltry $1000 for that. Apparently I could go after the at-fault party in court but I don't feel that's right either, so that's that.

I am now with State Farm who needs only receipts and nothing additional claimed on the policy with these sort of mods.

roberthamm

Established Member
Well, it was a 6-car pileup. I was not at fault at all and one of the only people not ticketed. So I was advised by my agent and a few other in the know people to file the claim with my company as it would get settled faster that way. So that's what I did. My agent told me no problem getting reimbursed for non-recoverable parts (built engine) as long as I had receipts. Well Farmers didn't go along with that. I pulled everything else off the car and submitted all the engine receipts. After many phone calls and unpleasant conversations I was told the most I could get was $1000 for the engine work as it was never added to the policy, didn't add value to the car and was done 'for personal preference'. Somehow, once the wheels were in motion with my company I couldn't stop the process and rely on the at-fault party's insurance to make it right, even though I never signed anything.

So when the dust settled I had all my parts back off but the engine, received a paltry $1000 for that. Apparently I could go after the at-fault party in court but I don't feel that's right either, so that's that.

I am now with State Farm who needs only receipts and nothing additional claimed on the policy with these sort of mods.

Woo hoo State Farm for the win! I have been with state farm since I was 16 and luckily haven't had to file a claim yet, 23 now (knock on wood).

It's good to know they only need receipts to reimburse me for my losses without the added cost to my monthly premium. I don't feel so bad about paying $155 a month for my 2011 gt and 2001 lightning now ha.

I feel like this is something I should have already known :| Very good information!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread