Total bridge collapse in Baltimore...

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
2 things.

First, Tob or Sid need to make some shirts that point out how so many smart people own mustangs, advertise that shit to the world.

Second, my wife laughs and rolls her eyes when I post legitimate questions in here. Or she’ll make a smart ass comment, “why don’t you go ask your car forum buddies” etc..

This sort of shit is why I post here. I can learn about big ass commercial shipping backup generators, find comfortable socks, or ask the guy I quoted about fat chicks and Applebee’s.

This place is amazing.
My wife knows that this place is the primary source of my memes and inappropriate discussions....

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
1711668191249.jpeg

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Rumors of black box being recovered

And go figure.. 2 minutes leading up to the crash is missing

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

I recommend you (and some others) watch these videos. There's a lot of misinformation out there. As expected. These videos bring things into more clarity. This was a horrible and unavoidable accident due to power failure. The miracle is that only 6 people were killed.

Too bad the news media can't be this thorough in reporting the facts.

RES0574

Established Member

This vessel is classed with NK (ClassNK), which I have not been impressed with in the past. They are not as thorough or stringent with the Rules applications that I experience with ABS, LR, and DNV.

This situation with the VDR is abnormal. The VDR and contributing systems that provide the information to the VDR such as the propulsion controls, steering controls, bridge control systems, comms, and nav systems (GPS, anemometer/windbird), are backed up by UPS systems.

The audio hub for the VDR, that records from the various microphones positioned on the bridge and the VHF radios, is powered from the VDR, which is redundantly supported by the previously mentioned UPS. Current technology has evolved to CAT6 PoE, so that gives you an idea of how little power is required for these microphones. The UPS' of these systems for comparison are the size of small transformers, so they have plenty of run time (Ah), and support voltages up to 230VAC/60Hz.

Current vessels also have a Free Float Capsule that records the previous 48 hours of voyage data from a sinking incident. This capsule is released/free floats when the vessel sinks with a combination EPIRB so that it can be located. Based upon the age of the vessel, it should have one. NTSB should be taking data from BOTH the VDR AND the Free Float Capsule because they would be recording the same information.

RES0574

Established Member
Helm control shouldn't be able to overridden from the Bridge.....
Helm is the Bridge, primary control location. There would be Wing Stations port and stbd, local controls for propulsion in the ECR (Engine Order Telegraph communication), and local/emergency steering control in the steering gear room/flat.

Where ever the Master and the Pilot were controlling that vessel, you cannot shift command of those systems without two party acceptance, like nuke missile launches.

From the primary control location, the secondary location that is trying to steer or control propulsion has to submit a request through the specific system. The primary control location has to approve and "release" the control ability, then vice versa. This prevents accidental loss of command between parties.

Last edited:

RES0574

Established Member
WTF is a black box on a cargo vessel. We know it was a shit-storm of errors and mechanical issues. The only thing I can speculate is that there's recording of the bell and helm orders.
Voyage Data Recorder.. This records data from VHF radios, Bridge Microphones, Bridge Controls (propulsion, steering, positioning systems), and other automation data systems. All of this information is collected to a central core module, then the data is submitted and recorded to the final recording module (black box) and a free float capsule (floating black box with minimal storage capacity 48 Hours/64Gb).

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Helm is the Bridge, primary control location. There would be Wing Stations port and stbd, local controls for propulsion in the ECR (Engine Order Telegraph communication), and local/emergency steering control in the steering gear room/flat.

Where ever the Master and the Pilot were controlling that vessel, you cannot shift command of those systems without two party acceptance, like nuke missile launches.

From the primary control location, the secondary location that is trying to steer or control propulsion has to submit a request through the specific system. The primary control location has to approve and "release" the control ability, then vice versa. This prevents accidental lose of command between parties.
Right. Requesting station must have concurrence from controlling station. Same shit in satellite payload commanding. Duplicate stations, but only one can send commands. Appreciate the clarification.

Users who are viewing this thread