Established Member
2822610B-5A55-4BDF-96AA-BF6439E592F1.jpeg

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
What a ****ing shithead!!!
Idiot!

Imagine actually wanting this guy to be POTUS?!?!?
You really have to be a ****ing loser.

RES0574

Established Member
Great write up - are you a First, Third Mate, or "other" civilian Mariner? Is this ship diesel electric? In other words no main engine/s connected through reduction gears to the shaft? It's hard to believe fuel filter swap would cause an identical issues for all engines, (at nearly the same time) considering 2 were online (your thoughts) with 1 in standby. Earlier in this fun thread I asked about when the tugs were released, but later viewed the AIS video and I did see the tugs released after the ship was pointed towards center channel, so they were released. I also agree with your thoughts that the helm would be manned until the ship cleared the harbor and increased to PIM speed in open waters allowing for autotrack. WRT cause of the collision, this sounds like an unfortunate chain of events, involving equipment failure (electric plant switchgear?) coupled with probably human error.
My background is mechanical and marine engineering with a concentration on nuclear, the first eight years were with A4Ws and S6Gs, so Bubbleheads and Nukes from the start. I am not a licensed mariner, but I have either managed the design, managed the construction, or managed the overhaul/repair of various vessel types since 1988. One phase of my career was Testing & Commissioning of both Naval and Commercial vessels. Part of that is developing/performing Design Verification Test Procedure (DVTP), Failure Mode Effect Analysis (FMEA), and Periodical Safety Test Procedure (PSTP). These tests are Regulatory requirements (NAVSEA, ABS, USCG) to prevent what happened in Baltimore. You go through a series of single point failures to show how the design prevents the vessel from being in a position of helplessness, which is what happened here.

Another phase was final delivery requirements prior to customer acceptance. I have spent many hours on the bridge with Masters/Captains/Mates and many hours in the ER/ECR with Chief Engineers, 1st Engs, etc. I was also a dockmaster for a few years (I would bring vessels into a graving drydock, pump out the water until she landed on the blocks safely and in correct position, then pump the balance of the water), so I have worked with docking and river/bay pilots.

If they had a lower tier of QMED swapping the filters, he may have been lucky previously and not had any issues with either vacuum or trapped air when working the Racor assemblies. I agree that having all of the filters impact at the same time is a long shot, but I have experienced worse issues that I thought could never happen. The other variable that I cannot recall for this class is if she had a shaft generator so that the arrangement would have been 4 ea SSDGs and a single shaft generator, backed up by the Egen that should be located in the aft machinery casing, where the stacks (exhaust piping) can be seen in between the container stacks. If not the filters, I would lean towards dirty fuel. I am also curious if the Engineers keep the sets of generators segregated (2 feeding from port, 2 feeding from stbd for fuel) similar to Dynamic Positioning rated vessels for redundancy (that does not appear to have worked based upon the outages).

One other fact, this vessel is rated for "Periodically Unattended Machinery Space". That means that the engine room can run on automation for a Regulatory approved period of time WITHOUT any engineers legally being required in the engine room on watch. So, if the watch engineers were out of the ER, and things started failing, the Power Management System or Machinery Automation Monitoring System started cycling through generators failure after failure. Alarms were probably going off, and the Chief Engineer who was probably asleep had his alarm panel in the Day Room or Stateroom screaming, and called down asking "WTF is going on"? The Engineer on Watch probably hauled ass down to the ER or ECR but was too late to keep the plant online, stable before the allision.

The vessel is not diesel electric in the sense that the main propulsion is from a large motor, powered by generators. This vessel has a Hyundai Heavy Industries diesel engine directly coupled to the main propulsion shaft (900mm Bore, 3,260mm Stroke, 41,480 kW @ 82.5 RPM).

I am curious if Ports will change how assist tugs work with vessels transiting under bridges in small channels/harbors going forward. Typically, they are only there to give the vessel "nudges" on command from the docking pilot to counter another force (wind, current, wash coming back from the berth), and they are not typically made up to the ship because the evolution is so quick combined with the capabilities of the vessel. I believe the docking pilot is a McAllister Tug captain from the Baltimore office. Once they are away from the berth, he turns it over to the river or bay pilot and departs the vessel onto one of the assist tugs, or with the other pilot at the buoy.

This is very long, but the conspiracy theories are nonsense, so hopefully this will help eliminate those types of posts. The important issue is that 6 people who were trying to provide for their families and worked a difficult/dangerous job are not going home. The good things out of this is that the ABs or Deckies that worked the anchor windlasses to release the chains/anchors got out of there before they were crushed by the bridge structure, and the Pilot issued a Mayday in advance for crossing traffic. I feel sorry for the vessel Captain and the Pilot. I know the Pilot, and she was very good at her job. She is NOT a DEI hire, so that BS that is being cycled also pisses me off. I have been in vessel bridges during near misses and my posterior was puckered. The feeling of helplessness is the only way I can explain it, and is very uncomfortable. They have to live with this for the rest of their lives, and it is not because they were not doing everything they could to prevent it.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
How do so many mother ****ers here know so much shit.

If I want to feel retarded this is where I come.

Me: so.. boat lose power.. boat hit bridge .. bridge go boom

You guys: so the bilateral quadratic function of the radius trigonometry of the nuclear vessel at 8 knots times pi equals the relativity of the suspension to indeed bend at a 37 degree which caused…

Jesus ****ing Christ

bird_dog0347

Established Member
My background is mechanical and marine engineering with a concentration on nuclear, the first eight years were with A4Ws and S6Gs, so Bubbleheads and Nukes from the start. I am not a licensed mariner, but I have either managed the design, managed the construction, or managed the overhaul/repair of various vessel types since 1988. One phase of my career was Testing & Commissioning of both Naval and Commercial vessels. Part of that is developing/performing Design Verification Test Procedure (DVTP), Failure Mode Effect Analysis (FMEA), and Periodical Safety Test Procedure (PSTP). These tests are Regulatory requirements (NAVSEA, ABS, USCG) to prevent what happened in Baltimore. You go through a series of single point failures to show how the design prevents the vessel from being in a position of helplessness, which is what happened here.

Another phase was final delivery requirements prior to customer acceptance. I have spent many hours on the bridge with Masters/Captains/Mates and many hours in the ER/ECR with Chief Engineers, 1st Engs, etc. I was also a dockmaster for a few years (I would bring vessels into a graving drydock, pump out the water until she landed on the blocks safely and in correct position, then pump the balance of the water), so I have worked with docking and river/bay pilots.

If they had a lower tier of QMED swapping the filters, he may have been lucky previously and not had any issues with either vacuum or trapped air when working the Racor assemblies. I agree that having all of the filters impact at the same time is a long shot, but I have experienced worse issues that I thought could never happen. The other variable that I cannot recall for this class is if she had a shaft generator so that the arrangement would have been 4 ea SSDGs and a single shaft generator, backed up by the Egen that should be located in the aft machinery casing, where the stacks (exhaust piping) can be seen in between the container stacks. If not the filters, I would lean towards dirty fuel. I am also curious if the Engineers keep the sets of generators segregated (2 feeding from port, 2 feeding from stbd for fuel) similar to Dynamic Positioning rated vessels for redundancy (that does not appear to have worked based upon the outages).

One other fact, this vessel is rated for "Periodically Unattended Machinery Space". That means that the engine room can run on automation for a Regulatory approved period of time WITHOUT any engineers legally being required in the engine room on watch. So, if the watch engineers were out of the ER, and things started failing, the Power Management System or Machinery Automation Monitoring System started cycling through generators failure after failure. Alarms were probably going off, and the Chief Engineer who was probably asleep had his alarm panel in the Day Room or Stateroom screaming, and called down asking "WTF is going on"? The Engineer on Watch probably hauled ass down to the ER or ECR but was too late to keep the plant online, stable before the allision.

The vessel is not diesel electric in the sense that the main propulsion is from a large motor, powered by generators. This vessel has a Hyundai Heavy Industries diesel engine directly coupled to the main propulsion shaft (900mm Bore, 3,260mm Stroke, 41,480 kW @ 82.5 RPM).

I am curious if Ports will change how assist tugs work with vessels transiting under bridges in small channels/harbors going forward. Typically, they are only there to give the vessel "nudges" on command from the docking pilot to counter another force (wind, current, wash coming back from the berth), and they are not typically made up to the ship because the evolution is so quick combined with the capabilities of the vessel. I believe the docking pilot is a McAllister Tug captain from the Baltimore office. Once they are away from the berth, he turns it over to the river or bay pilot and departs the vessel onto one of the assist tugs, or with the other pilot at the buoy.

This is very long, but the conspiracy theories are nonsense, so hopefully this will help eliminate those types of posts. The important issue is that 6 people who were trying to provide for their families and worked a difficult/dangerous job are not going home. The good things out of this is that the ABs or Deckies that worked the anchor windlasses to release the chains/anchors got out of there before they were crushed by the bridge structure, and the Pilot issued a Mayday in advance for crossing traffic. I feel sorry for the vessel Captain and the Pilot. I know the Pilot, and she was very good at her job. She is NOT a DEI hire, so that BS that is being cycled also pisses me off. I have been in vessel bridges during near misses and my posterior was puckered. The feeling of helplessness is the only way I can explain it, and is very uncomfortable. They have to live with this for the rest of their lives, and it is not because they were not doing everything they could to prevent it.
Thank you for the detailed write up, the engineer in me loves to see it. I too feel like the conspiracy theory's on this one are way out of left field.

How do so many mother ****ers here know so much shit.

If I want to feel retarded this is where I come.

Me: so.. boat lose power.. boat hit bridge .. bridge go boom

You guys: so the bilateral quadratic function of the radius trigonometry of the nuclear vessel at 8 knots times pi equals the relativity of the suspension to indeed bend at a 37 degree which caused…

Jesus ****ing Christ
Sometimes I have wondered that too, but then I think about who is on here and what the main focus of forums like this are. In this case, this forum mainly is focused towards cars that are somewhat rare, valuable, and for their day technologically advanced... that are also 20 years old. That means, as kids to early adults most of us here lusted after them and wished one day we could afford one. Well, 20 years later that wish can come true with hard work and education, so you'll find a wide variety of jobs that got people to the point where they could get a car we can all have a common interest in.

Personally, I had no interest in going into IT back in the 90's, it was kind of thrust upon me and I was accidentally good at it. So much so that I built my career on it and could talk for hours about nerdy crap and how certain internet outages happened, how they could have been prevented, etc. but a ton of super smart people on here might not even understand. I've owned a boat since 2007 and I know first hand how fast things can go sideways on the water and that's just with a 23' boat, vessels of that size are a whole different animal.

Users who are viewing this thread