Tornado vs. 20,000 Tons of Steel Freight Train

noahsark2012

4V 500rwhp club
Established Member
and the ref awards a point to the Tornado.
tornado05.jpg
howard_webb_1239068c.jpg
csxt_southbound_freight_train.jpg

[ame=http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=82d_1246651100]LiveLeak.com - Freight Train vs Tornado[/ame]

Last edited:

shrike

Established Member
haha, and these things have WEIGHT behind them. Where I used to work, they carted ore in such trains. For those who are interested it was 2 locos, 1 rake of 120 cars (each with about 27 tonnes of ore), another 2 locos and another rake of 120 cars. this was the standard configuration. Usually about a mile/mile and a half long, and there's that much weight, that if they see a cow, person, car, something on the track, they actually have to weigh up whether they're able to stop in time.

That makes what the tornado did even more impressive to me.

tt54l32v

Established Member
uh check please
that was pretty scary watching the rest of the train catching up

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Was the train trying to outrun the tornado, or did it just surprise them? Would be interesting to know. Man, tornadoes are powerful!!

noahsark2012

4V 500rwhp club
Established Member
Was the train trying to outrun the tornado, or did it just surprise them? Would be interesting to know. Man, tornadoes are powerful!!

a train going full speed could not outrun a tornado.

maybe the Japanese version of the Amtrak could that goes like 200 mph could, but yeah, a freight train like the one in the video could not.

ideally what's supposed to happen is the Railroad is supposed to be monitoring weather for all trains and advise them to stop and let the weather pass, but someone dropped the ball on this one.

not that tornadoes are predictable because they can form at anytime during the life cycle of a thunderstorm. but just the same, that's why the NWS puts out watches, and warnings, and someone wasn't paying attention.

G-STANG

Established Member
I would have shiat myself when that white car was coming towards the camera.

Users who are viewing this thread