Tornado vs. 20,000 Tons of Steel Freight Train

Hrbdizzle

Freight Train
Established Member
I know we do not get tornadoes where I work, but I do know our SSI has instructions on what UP does with tornadoes. But I think that the carriers like to gamble with mother nature, last summer we had a pretty serious forest fire on one of our runs. UP didn't give a shit, ran a fire train ahead and behind every train. Issued us all el cheapo respirators and ran as many trains as they could through. Hazmat key train **** it, oh the fires jumping the right away high ball!

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Could someone please embed that vid using youtube? I cant see the version that is in the OP.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
That's a crazy vid!

Was the train trying to outrun the tornado, or did it just surprise them? Would be interesting to know. Man, tornadoes are powerful!!

I imagine if he tried to outrun the tornado when so close it would just make matters worse.

I got caught near a tornado in Flint, Michigan where at least 15 trucks flipped over on the expressway. Everytime I sped up I could feel the entire car rock side to side like it was about to flip. Scary shit!!

millerc73

Established Member
I've made a handful of railroad friends on here. I work as a conductor for BNSF. My bud SVTKel works B&B up in canada. Camaross0002 works train service for BNSF also.

I work for BNSF here in west TX as a conductor/engineer, I've been on for 4 1/2 years and was furloughed this year for the first time for 4 months. Never thought it would get as bad as it did, but I'm back to work and it looks like I may be able to work for a while.

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
I did not know that there was this many other rails on here. What carrier do you all work for and what craft.

I'm a groundhog for UP Western Lines, Roseville Service unit....

Union Pacific here, hired out 08/98, Engineer, North Little Rock Service Unit.

I am currently working out of a freight pool that goes from NLR to Memphis to Pine Bluff. I have also worked Pine Bluff to Big Sandy back to NLR and NLR to Van Buren and back.

Life on the road blows! Being on call 24/7 and a work week of what is basically 7 consecutive Mondays :cuss:.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I work for BNSF here in west TX as a conductor/engineer, I've been on for 4 1/2 years and was furloughed this year for the first time for 4 months. Never thought it would get as bad as it did, but I'm back to work and it looks like I may be able to work for a while.

where in texas? I work to amarillo now and then from enid or wellington. back in enid at my home terminal currently.

I am currently working out of a freight pool that goes from NLR to Memphis to Pine Bluff. I have also worked Pine Bluff to Big Sandy back to NLR and NLR to Van Buren and back.

Life on the road blows! Being on call 24/7 and a work week of what is basically 7 consecutive Mondays :cuss:.

no joke. no such thing as a friday on the road. We have a short pool to tulsa that works twice a day sometimes. i had over 400 days worked last year.

camaross0002

Established Member

Look at it now if the fra actually follows through with the agreement on the 16th it will change alot of stuff. But I got a feeling the railroads will be way understaffed do to the agreement. Thing that I don't like about the agreement is the fact it's going to kill alot of money. Hired out will bnsf 03-06 grew up in the yard I work at old man was a truck mechanic.

where in texas? I work to amarillo now and then from enid or wellington. back in enid at my home terminal currently.

no joke. no such thing as a friday on the road. We have a short pool to tulsa that works twice a day sometimes. i had over 400 days worked last year.

you aren't lying about that most start in a seven day period for me was 11 and most in a month was 43 starts last summer finished the year out with 673 worked days according to the vacation time actual starts was right at 450. Ain't doing that shit again made some killer money but damn I'm still feeling the effects.

forcefed you heard anything about houston or galvenston been thinking of making a move there seems like alot of open spots down there and getting tired of the winters here in chicago. Temporarly making starts in chicago due to vacation bumps now and holiday to they are annulled jobs from the 2nd to the fifth up here.

Last edited:

04spinbra

Established Member

before i quit, i worked the south pool out of baldwin, fl to tampa,fl. we got 1 1/2 for everyday we worked. the most i had was just over 600 days worked so your looking at 400 trips either north or south. ive worked out of tampa to miami. being on the road isnt the place to be. ive talked to some of the guys i used to work with and they are struggling to keep a job, said they are about to get furlough with 8yrs seniority.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
Look at it now if the fra actually follows through with the agreement on the 16th it will change alot of stuff. But I got a feeling the railroads will be way understaffed do to the agreement. Thing that I don't like about the agreement is the fact it's going to kill alot of money. Hired out will bnsf 03-06 grew up in the yard I work at old man was a truck mechanic.

you aren't lying about that most start in a seven day period for me was 11 and most in a month was 43 starts last summer finished the year out with 673 worked days according to the vacation time actual starts was right at 450. Ain't doing that shit again made some killer money but damn I'm still feeling the effects.

forcefed you heard anything about houston or galvenston been thinking of making a move there seems like alot of open spots down there and getting tired of the winters here in chicago. Temporarly making starts in chicago due to vacation bumps now and holiday to they are annulled jobs from the 2nd to the fifth up here.

a good friend and I looked at heading to Houston at the first part of the year but decided not to since we both have little kids at home. Galveston was still somewhat recovering from the hurricane last year so we didnt think about that much.

yeah i'm holding off for the FRA order to start because it should increase jobs on the short runs around here. It all depends on how people work it though. It can be manipulated to work a little more but could also be manipulated to have alot more time off. Might take a few weeks before things shake out but right now all I have is time and I am enjoying it:beer:

before i quit, i worked the south pool out of baldwin, fl to tampa,fl. we got 1 1/2 for everyday we worked. the most i had was just over 600 days worked so your looking at 400 trips either north or south. ive worked out of tampa to miami. being on the road isnt the place to be. ive talked to some of the guys i used to work with and they are struggling to keep a job, said they are about to get furlough with 8yrs seniority.

yeah last year my son was born and I took off more than ever and still had almost 500 starts on a 118 mile run. there are a bunch of 4 to 7 year seniority guys around here that cant hold anything with any regularity. I'm qualified at 6 different terminals and have options.

camaross0002

Established Member
a good friend and I looked at heading to Houston at the first part of the year but decided not to since we both have little kids at home. Galveston was still somewhat recovering from the hurricane last year so we didnt think about that much.

yeah i'm holding off for the FRA order to start because it should increase jobs on the short runs around here. It all depends on how people work it though. It can be manipulated to work a little more but could also be manipulated to have alot more time off. Might take a few weeks before things shake out but right now all I have is time and I am enjoying it:beer:

yeah last year my son was born and I took off more than ever and still had almost 500 starts on a 118 mile run. there are a bunch of 4 to 7 year seniority guys around here that cant hold anything with any regularity. I'm qualified at 6 different terminals and have options.

If you guys make the move give me a shout thinking about it myself to need to get out of chicago. thinking of houston to because atleast theres 8 terminals in a 80 mile radius of houston. also trying to get paid familiarization but getting the run around on that. Trying to see what happens with the fra but the bs is bnsf got the 3 year extension for the metras and is trying to get it for all engineers in the chicago division. Only thing I see it affecting really is the yard service not so much road like you are seeing but only time will tell.

first year with the rr was half year due to classes but still came out at the end with something like 350 towards the vacations but was a greedy bastard now slowing it down now not worth it anymore. That's where my luck is to with staying marked up to gualified in 10 terminals here from lacrosse to cicero on the bn side and ft madison to chicago on the sf side. Just getting tired of getting kicked yard to yard with them cutting crap up here. Management thinks it's funny to do that up here cutting and adding all the time.

Last edited:

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
Look at it now if the fra actually follows through with the agreement on the 16th it will change alot of stuff. But I got a feeling the railroads will be way understaffed do to the agreement. Thing that I don't like about the agreement is the fact it's going to kill alot of money.

I am not a fan of this new Government mandated rest. You are correct, it has the potential to cost us a lot of money.

Thing I worry about most, is our GUARANTEED Extra Boards. As you well know, under the soon to be new law, 6 consecutive starts gets you a mandatory 48hrs off and if you are out of town on the 6th start and work a 7th start home, that gets you 72hrs off. My question is when you are FORCED to be UNAVAILABLE (i.e. OFF), are they going to dock your guarantee as a result of your unavailable status.

Neither of our union officer's (BLET or UTU) have any info on this matter. The national agreement was never written to account for this OFF time the new law will require. I feel this should be a top priority for our union to get a clear understanding of what the outcome will be. But their approach seems to be, Let's wait and see how this all shakes out. That is my biggest beef with my union brothers and sisters, let's not think ahead - let's just wait and see how this plays out :cuss:.

camaross0002

Established Member
I am not a fan of this new Government mandated rest. You are correct, it has the potential to cost us a lot of money.

Thing I worry about most, is our GUARANTEED Extra Boards. As you well know, under the soon to be new law, 6 consecutive starts gets you a mandatory 48hrs off and if you are out of town on the 6th start and work a 7th start home, that gets you 72hrs off. My question is when you are FORCED to be UNAVAILABLE (i.e. OFF), are they going to dock your guarantee as a result of your unavailable status.

Neither of our union officer's (BLET or UTU) have any info on this matter. The national agreement was never written to account for this OFF time the new law will require. I feel this should be a top priority for our union to get a clear understanding of what the outcome will be. But their approach seems to be, Let's wait and see how this all shakes out. That is my biggest beef with my union brothers and sisters, let's not think ahead - let's just wait and see how this plays out :cuss:.

Oh I agree I don't agree with the government mandated rest why are they changing something that has been in effect for over 50 years. All they are doing is eliminating our ability to make any money. Reason we take the railroad job is to make money now that is gone.

Hell all I would have wanted is them to be fair to people on extra boards and get rid of the 75% availability crap extra board gets 7 days while a regular assignment get 9 also off the extra board a weekend day counts as 1.5 days towards the availability policy.

I agree the board guarenttees should be top policy for us now I know here in shitcago they are already trying to cut the guarentees. Hell jim houston pretty much canned the rep out of joliet because he wouldn't kiss the companies ass and let them cut our guarenttee. I agree all the union reps here are saying the same lets wait and see it should be us saying get off you butts and do something what the hell are we pay 120 month in dues for. I got a feeling the unions are going to let the company screw us.

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
Oh I agree I don't agree with the government mandated rest why are they changing something that has been in effect for over 50 years. All they are doing is eliminating our ability to make any money. Reason we take the railroad job is to make money now that is gone.

Hell all I would have wanted is them to be fair to people on extra boards and get rid of the 75% availability crap extra board gets 7 days while a regular assignment get 9 also off the extra board a weekend day counts as 1.5 days towards the availability policy.

I agree the board guarenttees should be top policy for us now I know here in shitcago they are already trying to cut the guarentees. Hell jim houston pretty much canned the rep out of joliet because he wouldn't kiss the companies ass and let them cut our guarenttee. I agree all the union reps here are saying the same lets wait and see it should be us saying get off you butts and do something what the hell are we pay 120 month in dues for. I got a feeling the unions are going to let the company screw us.

You and I are on the same page brother! :beer:

The union used to strike fear in the Class I RR world, now they just violate us because they know the union won't stand by the agreement.

Here on the UP, they have the ultimate trump card, where our agreement is concerned. When they give you your mandatory directive, via phone or radio, etc - and it violates the agreement and you call their hand on it - they throw the good ole INSUBORDINATION card out on ya. "ARE YOU REFUSING TO DO WHAT I AM TELLING YOU TO DO!?" If you go thru with refusing the directive, you are going to get cited for violation of GCOR Rule 1.6 (Conduct) and they are going to stick you with a Level 5.

If I had a nickel for every time that phrase has been uttered, I would be retired! :-D

Hopefully, this all works out to benefit us more than it will hurt us :beer:

camaross0002

Established Member
You and I are on the same page brother! :beer:

The union used to strike fear in the Class I RR world, now they just violate us because they know the union won't stand by the agreement.

Here on the UP, they have the ultimate trump card, where our agreement is concerned. When they give you your mandatory directive, via phone or radio, etc - and it violates the agreement and you call their hand on it - they throw the good ole INSUBORDINATION card out on ya. "ARE YOU REFUSING TO DO WHAT I AM TELLING YOU TO DO!?" If you go thru with refusing the directive, you are going to get cited for violation of GCOR Rule 1.6 (Conduct) and they are going to stick you with a Level 5.

If I had a nickel for every time that phrase has been uttered, I would be retired! :-D

Hopefully, this all works out to benefit us more than it will hurt us :beer:

you are right about that one one caused fear but no more all the unions are there for now are to protect all the bums that should have gotten canned.

same with bnsf have the conduct rule to, funny thing is that they now have implemented a rule called the good faith challenge where you can refuse to do the work but now you have to have a trainmaster and then a superior to him override you good faith. Guess who still wins the trainmaster even though your right.

Example running remote out of lpc shoving into the yard 14000 ft 19500 tons of double stacks loaded told trainmaster couldn't move it he told me to keep trying pulled the good faith and they both told me to keep trying. Told them okay ended up spinning the wheels on 2 4 axle yard units messed up 1.5 mile of track, globs of melted steel hanging all over the engines. Tried to fire me in investigation but told them to pull the tapes was told by trainmasters to keep trying even after the good faith challenge.

I think in the long run it could hurt us I wouldn't be surprised in the next contract we all take pay cuts or loss some type of penalty codes because the unions have no sacs anymore.

Last edited:

forcefedcobra

Established Member
from what I have read of their legal speak BS.........if you take the days the fra is offering in order to break the 6 consecutive it will dock gaurantee. If you stay marked up and are forced to take the 6/2 or 7/3 then you are not docked however it will put you out of being able to take those days again. We went over it and over it again at our last union meeting. I'm a highly educated individual and I still dont understand it 100% and I wont until I can actually start sharp shooting it.

yeah the good faith challenge is a joke at large terminals where there are multiple trainmasters or ATM's on duty 24/7. I just let them know that I can screw them with the rule book just as much as they can screw me. I've only run into a few that attempted to take me up on that. they are normally the ones that were hired as a supervisor directly out of college and have no clue as to railroading is done.

Users who are viewing this thread