Top Speed?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Just recently got my Cobra, I've searched this topic a few times and was just wondering what the odds were that you'll be looking at major problems if you take it to top speeds? I mean is it a 50/50 chance it'll blow or is it more than likely that you'll be okay as long as it's only once or twice?
It's always an increase in risk, but these motors are actually very durable if you're smart.

If you're going to do it, best way to minimize risk factors is to start from a 70-80 MPH cruising speed in 4th gear, accelerate from there up to 130+/- while still in 4th, shift to 5th, get up to your target MPH pronto, and get right out of it. I've hit 150-155 on 3 different occasions and it doesn't take long to get up there from a high crusing speed.

Wouldn't suggest going from 0 to 150+.......

mrose75

Established Member
My dumb ass once did 145 on a public road in the middle of the day. Obviously not much traffic. But dumb as hell none the less. I don't remember the specifics. I pulled out because the wind buffeting made my wife's ears hurt to
the point of tears.

OutKast

SVT=Fast
Established Member
150 on the speedo on a cool night. Probably wont do again after reading all the horror stories. 120 or so when I open track it has been good enough to fullfill my need.

Sonny

Established Member
150 on U.S.29 in south Alabama somewhere. Two lane road, straight as an arrow for at least two miles on a gentle downhill run. My co-driver and friend reminded me that if the cars well up ahead of us were doing the speed limit, we were closing on them at 90 miles per hour. I let up.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Most I have gone is 135, but worried about tickets more than damaging the car.

Dude, if you got nailed "even" at 135mph, you wouldn't have to worry about a ticket, because that would be tow, and impound on the car, and you would be in the back of a cruiser, so at that point, go for broke, because you've already gone way past the ticket threshold anyway!:burnout:

Sonny

Established Member
If you want to dance to the music-you got to pay the piper. I have decided the risk of getting arrested for the kinds of speeds these cars are capable of dictate a wiser alternative. Track days with or without joining a club or closed public road speed events are available all over the country. Some of these events can be done with minimal investment in equipment and costs as low as $200.00 for the day. In the end you will be tired, you will be happy and you will not be in jail.

Black Sex

Established Member
Anyone try this with 4.10's? Im curious as to how fast they will go with the 4.10's. Do you think its harder on the motor with the steeper gears?

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
The nearest autobaugn entrance is about 15 minutes from my house, and I've still never taken my car past 140. To much risk and that nose gets light as hell at that speed, let alone anything higher!

DOHC

Just Mod It
Established Member
173mph on the GPS felt good and only got 460rwhp. just watch your AFR or get a HST(high speed tune) if you go WOT in 5th and do it on long empty roads so you only kill yourself. :rockon:

haskett

Established Member
if you want to dance to the music-you got to pay the piper. I have decided the risk of getting arrested for the kinds of speeds these cars are capable of dictate a wiser alternative. Track days with or without joining a club or closed public road speed events are available all over the country. Some of these events can be done with minimal investment in equipment and costs as low as $200.00 for the day. In the end you will be tired, you will be happy and you will not be in jail.

+1

fire_4_effect

Motorsports = Expensive!
Established Member
honestly, i have yet to really "open" her up; i've kept it under 110 on the highways. i have too much to live for! :-D

2003cobraguy

Established Member
done 140 or so, maxing out 4th.
never boosted in 5th after a 1-4 run.

i can't afford to break the engine.

d4a3m2o1n

Banned
165 on a downhill spot. i wasn't fully on it until like 5k in 4th gear then stayed WOT from there on (into 5th got up to about 5k and let off) i figured i could prevent damage doing it downhill and not doing a 1-5 pull only 4-5.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Been up to 140 at the top of 4th, didn't even know I was going that fast. Even on the stock pulley, it climbs to those speeds quick.

murse

Established Member
Premium Member
150.... started at 80 in 4th, definitely would NOT do a high speed run starting in 1st and going through all the gears

and that run was playing with a hayabusa, :rockon:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Some of you probably remember from back in 2008. I did 0-160 and back to 0 and then repeated about 10 more times and finally got a ticking sound from the motor.
Rebuilt with diamond pistons, better piston to wall clearance and the pulls to high speeds shouldn't kill the motor any more. I don't do it over and over any more though. Just once in a while here and there. To expensive lol.

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
had the car 8 yrs now, been up to 155/topped it out maybe twice or 3x, on stock tune. hit 130 or 140 at least a half dozen times after that with dyno tune (made it there real quick is how it happened). no problems with engine, but not doing that shit anymore either, especially in dr's and in these cars it just aint safe IMO

Users who are viewing this thread