Top speed for an 03/04 cobra

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
I would get the R or Steeda splitter and a wing if you want to run over 160. The aerodynamics on these cars is not good.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
The aerodynamics on these cars are fantastic compared to the earlier Fox body cars. I had my '93 to 160 once or twice and the steering got light and the front end felt real twitchy. The '03 car at 150 felt calm and steady and easy to drive at that speed. At least Ford gave a thought to aerodynamics up to 160. The older cars probably didn't get a thought at all.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
You guy's are F'n crazy. There aint a road in this entire state that I would trust to do that on. The fastest I have ever piloted anything to was 171 MPH and that was on a buddies R1, but it only took like 45 seconds to go that fast on that thing. When I lifted my head just a little bit from behind the wind screen, I felt like I was gonna get ripped off the bike. That was enough for me.
There is no road straight enough, long enough, safe enough or in good enough shape in the entire state of NJ to go that fast in a car and not be dead when it's over.
Being somewhat knowledgeable in vehicle dynamics and coefficient drag factors, I'd be very leery of a Cobra's ability to sustain speeds over 160 and still maintain stability under breaking, even slight movement or continuous acceleration. BE CAREFUL doing this guys, the stock suspension and aerodynamics just can't support that kind of speed for any length of time.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
PistolWhip said:
You guy's are F'n crazy. There aint a road in this entire state that I would trust to do that on. The fastest I have ever piloted anything to was 171 MPH and that was on a buddies R1, but it only took like 45 seconds to go that fast on that thing. When I lifted my head just a little bit from behind the wind screen, I felt like I was gonna get ripped off the bike. That was enough for me.
There is no road straight enough, long enough, safe enough or in good enough shape in the entire state of NJ to go that fast in a car and not be dead when it's over.
Being somewhat knowledgeable in vehicle dynamics and coefficient drag factors, I'd be very leery of a Cobra's ability to sustain speeds over 160 and still maintain stability under breaking, even slight movement or continuous acceleration. BE CAREFUL doing this guys, the stock suspension and aerodynamics just can't support that kind of speed for any length of time.
Good advice. And let's not forget that the motor (specifically the stock pistons) are not designed for sustained high speed banzai runs. Sooner or later we're going to hear another sad story of a motor going south as a result. Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself. All that said, speeds that high are plain stupid IMO with uncontrolled conditions such as road conditions, tire condition/rating, other vehicles, etc.). Be safe! Be smart!

Users who are viewing this thread