Top speed for an 03/04 cobra

Alb Cobra

Established Member
Took the car out on the open freeway and was at about 6000 rpm and my speedo was at about 160 mph:rockon: . Is a stock 03 cobra with just a JLT CAI capable of doing this :shrug:? Still had 6th gear. Does my speedo need to be recalibrated? What is this cars top speed? Oh did a search for this and kept getting a error.

YoungJim

Established Member
That sounds about right, all I've done to my motor is a cold air intake and it'll get up to the limiter just fine. Fun, isn't it? :D The 160 thing is the factory limiter, I gather its there because the aerodynamics get a little shaky for anything faster. (Think R splitter/wing) Hey is yours yellow? I saw one when I was down there a while back, it was the first time I'd seen one in the flesh. Too bad noone else in the van shared my sense of excitement, but then they didn't really know what they were missing! :burnout:

Last edited:

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
Ive been to 180 without exhaust, gears or CAI... and that was on a shitty tune. Ive had a lot done to it since... so I have no clue what it will do now.

Fast Willy

Established Member
I've been to 187, at least thats what it said on my hand held gps. had about 1200 more rpm to red line to. I'm putting the viper 5th and 6th gear in the car so its going to be over 200 or sure as long as the body can be that areodynamic.

Alb Cobra

Established Member
No mine is black, there is a couple of yellow ones here much faster than mine, think one has well over 500 (vert) to the wheels and one is running over 700 to the wheels (it has a decal crossing the hood (coupe). I have never put mine on the dyno i am guessing about 340 rwhp (yeah right maybe at sea level) but not at 5000+ feet. Things were a bit shakey but the adreniline was flowing and it felt good, took me 4 months to try topping it out.

Wow 180 was getting a little nevous at 160, shitty drivers here can't see you when you are going 80 let alone 160.

Espo

lP ll llVll lP
Established Member
yea i have had 5th gear at 6400 and it was pinned at 160.... the digital speedo said 168... but a guy on here(in germany) did the same thing with a gps instead and his said 173 at 6400 in 5th so i dont know what exacly is the correct speed

Alb Cobra

Established Member
silly question but the viper 5th/6th gears the actual viper srt gears? looking at everybodys et times, tells me i need to learn how to launch my car.

maddrabitt

Established Member
Ive been to 186 before. Car still had some pull left in it, but the car was starting to feel pretty shakey so I let off.

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
*Takes a bow*

My 180 run was against an R1 on the highway. He said hs speedo was reading 185 when he shut down and mine was reading 175. So we settled on 180 even. lol

PSI87

Banned
Jdaniel said:
*Takes a bow*

My 180 run was against an R1 on the highway. He said hs speedo was reading 185 when he shut down and mine was reading 175. So we settled on 180 even. lol

Motorcycles can often read up to 10% too high.

pb1302

Established Member
178 on GPS in Germany for me. 2.90 pulley, JLT RAI, XPIPE, CAT BACK, and a MileHi tune. Felt good at that speed and would have done more if the road was not bending in front of me. Whipple sitting at the house right now with some more goodies. Should do 185 EASY...... i dont know if i will have the steel balls to touch 190.......but you bet your a$$ it will be posted here with a vid......

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
pb1302 said:
178 on GPS in Germany for me. 2.90 pulley, JLT RAI, XPIPE, CAT BACK, and a MileHi tune. Felt good at that speed and would have done more if the road was not bending in front of me. Whipple sitting at the house right now with some more goodies. Should do 185 EASY...... i dont know if i will have the steel balls to touch 190.......but you bet your a$$ it will be posted here with a vid......

we should run both cars at the same time...
I have driven my M5 to 180 without any problems but was running out of street :D

mrose75

Established Member
I don't think I'd have the balls to try that on a public road here. I did 140-145 once, but the Mrs. made me stop. I think I would run out of street going for 180+. Well, that and I need a few more $K in mods......

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
apache driver said:
I would be careful of doing too many extended high speed runs. Heat is a killer on these engines.
Yep. We've heard of more than one case here where someone did an extended flat out run to 150+ and blew the motor. Be careful folks. Especially if you have the stock pistons and you're running bigger boost.

GA Terminator

Established Member
At 175+ I would be a little concerned about the tires coming apart at those speeds. Or is it just me........

Users who are viewing this thread